[USA] Rear-ended by a lady who was not quite paying attention. (Austin TX) - [0:44]

hell of a hit by that trailblazer, which was tailgating pretty bad after the lane change. surprising the camera car made it cleanly around the little hatchback after the crash.

funny/sad how you see the suv driver look up from the radio after the crash. good evidence that they weren't paying attention (as if the fact that they never even slowed down wasn't enough evidence)

From the headlight alignment (before the impact) it looks like that may not have been the first time it was in an 'accident'. Driver side looks to be pointing almost straight down at the pavement.

I'll note that this driver's front dashcam alone would be sufficient for insurance purposes; it will show the circumstances of the collision, and that his driving was reasonable leading up to the crash.

I've got a crappy older dashcam that I haven't used in a while. Maybe when I get my car back from the shop (guy turned in front of me) I'll mount it in the back window. I've had several crazy-close tailgaters with my loaner car. People *occasionally* tailgated my Lexus SUV. People *frequently* tailgate the little Mazda5 that I'm driving right now, and not just a "little" close, but shockingly close-- a couple feet off my bumper. One I can write off as just a crazy asshole. Even two. But I've got people on my bumper all the time now! It's quite unnerving.

From the headlight alignment (before the impact) it looks like that may not have been the first time it was in an 'accident'. Driver side looks to be pointing almost straight down at the pavement.

Good catch-- I noticed that the passenger headlight was aimed way too high, but it didn't occur to me that it could be from prior crashes!

Base load CB Antenna on the back?
It always sucks to be in an accident, but always nice to see another CB user

Ha i just seen that. The only thing I can think of is if you take the whip element adjustment screw all the way out.

Usually those innocent front cars never get saved. Lucky turd in the hatchback :D

I was thinking her front bumper already looked tweaked in the preceding pictures.

Sure is moving around in the lane and is distracted by something in the car for sure.

Looks like a habitually bad driver to me. Would be interesting to know how many accidents she's had in the past year.....

Driver's side light pointing straight down, Passenger side pointing up - kinda reminds me of
images

or
images

Still, on the plus side, at least she'll now get those babies realigned so they'll not be dazzling anyone else.

....Still, on the plus side, at least she'll now get those babies realigned so they'll not be dazzling anyone else.

I wouldn't wager a lot on that happening. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't wager a lot on that happening. :rolleyes:
Oh, I don't know - either her insurance will splash out on repairs or the car will go into a crusher, sorted either way...:D

Oh, I don't know - either her insurance will splash out on repairs or the car will go into a crusher, sorted either way...:D

Ah, if that were only true. Judging by the looks of the vehicle it was in need of repairs before the latest incident (check the driver side bumper) - damage that appears to be a result of a previous rear-end impact. Since it wasn't repaired then it's likely due to no collision insurance. I'm betting that it will continue to be driven until it's undriveable. :eek:

I'm betting that it will continue to be driven until it's undriveable. :eek:

This is the bad thing about California, we do not have vehicle inspections like other states do. We only need to pay a year car registration fee and smog checks every 2 years.

Texas DOES have annual safety inspections. they cost $39.75 and until next year they're independant from your license plates (which cost $60+ in harris county). that said. some inspectors don't really check anything; they just slap the sticker on. other only do a cursory check - no obviously broken lights, tires dont have cord showing, horn works, etc. still others wil simply take your (extra cash) money and turn a blind eye to certain issues that would normally make it fail, like a missing catalytic convertor or too-loud exhaust, or even a check engine light. even in super liberal austin, i'm sure there are crooked shops that'll "pass" cars like that one.

For the first 4 years you dont have to do squat here with a brand new car, but after that its a trip to the car inspector every 2 years.
When it come to modification of cars we have strict laws, there is small limits to how much you can lower or jack up your car, same with how wide weels you can put on, and not forgetting increase the power of your engine.

The problem is that the inspectors are often bad or can be paied off, and the police have little means or seemingly interests in upholding the law.
You will often see and hear cars thats clearly modified, but i have no idea how they get by with that legally.

Marty-Feldman-1-.jpg

AB norm al

And then we wonder why there are so many accidents.
"why did that car suddenly veer across in front?"
"must be driver error (drunk, tired, not concentrating...)"
maybe lack of mechanical inspection?

I got a good capture on my rear camera last week, the guy in the GLS van behind me started to mess around with papers, resulting in him beeing all over the place, and 2" moore and he would have collision head on with another van.

Maybe a head trap instead of a head rest would be in order, that way ppl are forced to look ahead and not anywhere else.

This is the bad thing about California, we do not have vehicle inspections like other states do. We only need to pay a year car registration fee and smog checks every 2 years.

Years ago here in Michigan we used to have tail pipe emission checks on all vehicles. The liberal politicians decided it was unfair to force the 'less economically advantaged' citizens to have to pay, $11 at the time, for this annual check so they exempted all vehicles more than 10 model years old - exactly the ones that should be checked and do most of the polluting. :confused:

Now no vehicles are checked...

Back