USB Parking Mode

Kermit599

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, one can power the dashcam via USB, and to use parking mode they want you to buy the hardwire kit. However I have a Havis Console and my USB outlets always have power, when key is OFF. What are the best settings to make sure the dashcam enters parking mode.

Thank you

USB parking mode is not recommended as there will be no voltage cut-off, and it may fully drain your car battery.

USB parking mode is not recommended as there will be no voltage cut-off, and it may fully drain your car battery.
I have a Dodge Charger Pursuit. (It was a Police Car) It's not going to drain the battery...

And I said my 1-year-old cousin couldn't finish an XXL slushy, but no one told him to stop so he kept drinking and drinking.

To answer your question though, yes the A129 Pro Duo will eventually slip into parking mode naturally after 15~ minutes of being idle, even without the hardwire kit. I would still not recommend it. You'll need to make sure parking mode is enabled, and well, that's the only setting.

And I said my 1-year-old cousin couldn't finish an XXL slushy, but no one told him to stop so he kept drinking and drinking.

To answer your question though, yes the A129 Pro Duo will eventually slip into parking mode naturally after 15~ minutes of being idle, even without the hardwire kit. I would still not recommend it. You'll need to make sure parking mode is enabled, and well, that's the only setting.
I get your sarcasm. However with that being. I have several items in my vehicle that are wired up with constant power including the dash cam.

Attachments

• 20230317_195151.jpg
    20230317_195151.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 19
I have a Dodge Charger Pursuit. (It was a Police Car) It's not going to drain the battery...

Fair point. What kind of battery/batteries does it have? (Chemistry, capacity, ...)

I get your sarcasm. However with that being. I have several items in my vehicle that are wired up with constant power including the dash cam.

A whole new meaning to Dodge Charger!

(Less charging as in horse, more charging as in power bank.)

220 volt alternator, and the battery is 900 cold cranking amps
160 reserve capacity
And '95 amp hour

220 volt alternator, and the battery is 900 cold cranking amps
160 reserve capacity
And '95 amp hour

Just a starter battery? No leisure battery?

If you run dashcam or other devices off a starter battery, without a low-votage cut-off, then eventually the battery will be drained below the voltage at which it can adequately power the starter motor to start the car.

I doubt the police would want their cars to unexpectedly not start, so maybe your car already has a low-voltage cut-off between the battery and the USB port(s). You should look into that. If there's no cut-off, I guess the police counted on the car spending so little time parked that the battery would never have time to be drained before someone started the engine again for a patrol or whatever - but unless you use the car the same way (unlikely, unless maybe it's a company car for a team of security guards or something) you should probably add a cut-off or a leisure/dashcam battery in order to prevent the starter battery from ever getting drained to the point of uselessness. See https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

Anyway, yes, your Viofo can detect when it has been stationary for a while and can switch into parking mode that way.

The Mitsubishi L200 pickup i once owned had 2 batteries from the factory, i assume the one to start with and the other one for running things.

Personally i would not run anything without low voltage protection, but of course if you drive regularly and not just 5 mins to the shops and 5 mins back, you will probably be fine.
But i can easy skip a day of driving, and also as i have CCTV on my parked car at home, well no reason to have the car sitting there recording too, not least as it will see little due to the lighting situation in the back yard where i park.
The CCTV camera, dont miss anything, and have AI motion detect, so only vehicle and human shapes within 3 - 4 feet of my car set off a notification on my phone and tablet.
A smart dashcam with LTE, chance are it would drive you insane with notifications, and i do so hate the slightest little beep my phone make. ( I get a MAX of 2 - 3 calls or TXT messages a week, and i am barely able to live with that )

Back in the 50's, in the UK, cars parked on the street at night had to have a parking light. Red rear and white front. These lights were usually just small window glass clip on devices. Lower the window, clip on, raise the window.

My dad had one and it worked all night and he started his Austin A35 van every morning without issue.

I accidentally left my interior light on on my 2007 Civic and it flattened the battery in hours, even though the car used to travel 40 miles daily so was fully charged.

What has happened to modern car batteries ?

Just a starter battery? No leisure battery?

If you run dashcam or other devices off a starter battery, without a low-votage cut-off, then eventually the battery will be drained below the voltage at which it can adequately power the starter motor to start the car.

I doubt the police would want their cars to unexpectedly not start, so maybe your car already has a low-voltage cut-off between the battery and the USB port(s). You should look into that. If there's no cut-off, I guess the police counted on the car spending so little time parked that the battery would never have time to be drained before someone started the engine again for a patrol or whatever - but unless you use the car the same way (unlikely, unless maybe it's a company car for a team of security guards or something) you should probably add a cut-off or a leisure/dashcam battery in order to prevent the starter battery from ever getting drained to the point of uselessness. See https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

Anyway, yes, your Viofo can detect when it has been stationary for a while and can switch into parking mode that way.
There was a charge guard but it wasn't connected when I bought the car I ripped it out anyway. I used to have a 2003 Ford explorer I had two scanners and a toy radio constantly on, this while living in New Hampshire and not once did it ever killed the battery.

I will leave things the way they are, that is unless something happens. Attached our pictures of my explorer this had lights in as well as I was on the fire dept.

Attachments

• 24065740013_large.jpg
    24065740013_large.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 8
  • 24065740015_large.jpg
    24065740015_large.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 8
I will leave things the way they are, that is unless something happens.

Best settings would be Time-lapse parking.
Can you let us know how you get on. You do have a large battery and if you use the car everyday you maybe right and never have a problem.
If the battery goes below 12.2 volts approx often then the life of the battery can be expected to shorten its life.

Last edited:
Best settings would be Time-lapse parking.
Can you let us know how you get on. You do have a large battery and if you use the car everyday you maybe right and never have a problem.
If the battery goes below 12.2 volts approx often then the life of the battery can be expected to shorten its life.
Yes, the car gets used every day. But as I said previously if 3 radios don't kill a battery, a dashcam shouldn't either.

Back in the 50's, in the UK, cars parked on the street at night had to have a parking light. Red rear and white front. These lights were usually just small window glass clip on devices. Lower the window, clip on, raise the window.

My dad had one and it worked all night and he started his Austin A35 van every morning without issue.

I accidentally left my interior light on on my 2007 Civic and it flattened the battery in hours, even though the car used to travel 40 miles daily so was fully charged.

What has happened to modern car batteries ?
I imagine the lead acid batteries haven't changed much, but the cars have since the 50's.

I imagine a 2007 Civic will have far more computers and electronics that is running while the car is parked, compared to the Austin :D

a 2007 Civic will have far more computers and electronics that is running while the car is parked, compared to the Austin :D

I'm sympathetic to safety features (airbags, seat belts, head restraints, crumple zones, collision avoidance, ...) and security features (immobilisers, ...).

Apart from that, modern cars are essentially bloatware.

Back