USB power bank as second battery for dash cam

zaq88999

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A129 Pro
I just received my new Viofo A129 pro duo a few days before, but I been to stay at home for the whole time, so I'm wondering to make something.
First of all, I'm new to the circuit and English, so if you find any problems, let me know, please!

So I did some research from the forum, and end it up this.

Things I use:
12v-5v hardwire kit (control relay board)
5V relay board from Amazon CA
Toggle Switch
Few USB cables
Philips Power Bank (5V1A& 5V2.1A output) 5V1.5A input( It will not output power while it's charging)
IMG_4011.jpg
IMG_4025.jpg

Once the car is on, the car will power the PB and dashcam. When the car is off, I can use the toggle switch to turn on the relay, so the power bank can output power.

Before this, I was following this wiring diagram from the forum, but it's not working for me. The dashcam won't work properly, don't know why. And I find out the charging cable to PB has to separate.
assembly_5-lo.jpg

Now, I already tested for a few hours, no problem yet.

During this time, I also put some reflective vinyl in my car.

Inkedlower_LI.jpg
What do you think?
So as I said, I'm new, so if you find any problem, please told me. I will keep posing update.

Stay Safe

Attachments

• 15819829907854491.jpg
    15819829907854491.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 19
Need to think and calculate few things:
1. How much (long, often ) you drive a car?
2. Will it be enough to charge powerbank to the capacity used in parking mode.

Lifepo4 power banks would be preferable if you want to charge PB to the max within relatively short time.

What is the side reflective sticker supposed to be?

In this country it would be illegal, should be red at the back, white is for the front!

Need to think and calculate few things:
1. How much (long, often ) you drive a car?
2. Will it be enough to charge powerbank to the capacity used in parking mode.

Lifepo4 power banks would be preferable if you want to charge PB to the max within relatively short time.
I normally drive for an hour and a half a day, and only have parking monitoring enabled when I park outside the store.
I tested it yesterday, and it will run the A129 pro duo for about 9 hours in 3fps parking mode. I am useing the cigarette lighter to USB to charge the power bank. I haven't tested how long it will take to recharge. Could you recommend some Lifepo4 power bank 's brand?

You mean the reflective vinyl?
Yes, any retroreflective material showing to the rear must be red, except for emergency vehicles that can use their own specific colours for identification. Your vinyl does appear to be retroreflective.

Not sure if it would fail our annual test, that only seems to require checking the two mandatory rear reflectors, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got a warning or if the police took action.

The side stickers, you could argue are OK, although I bet some white reflected light is visible from behind, and it is visibility that is written in the law.

I think on the back bumper, red would look better anyway!

Haha, it supposed to be dogs. Copyed from here.View attachment 51667
But I might screwed it

Hate to say it, but even theirs doesn't much look like a dog. Tried it with and without my glasses and it's still the same to me :rolleyes: Without your mentioning it I wouldn't know what it was supposed to be.

Might not matter- I failed my Rorsarch test when I told the Psychologist that every picture he showed me looked like an ink blot. I don't think he could handle reality well :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Yes, any retroreflective material showing to the rear must be red, except for emergency vehicles that can use their own specific colours for identification. Your vinyl does appear to be retroreflective.

Not sure if it would fail our annual test, that only seems to require checking the two mandatory rear reflectors, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got a warning or if the police took action.

The side stickers, you could argue are OK, although I bet some white reflected light is visible from behind, and it is visibility that is written in the law.

I think on the back bumper, red would look better anyway!
Yea, you are right. But I will keep it on until the police take action since I already put it on. The white reflective vinyl is nearly invisible in the day time, but it's another story in the night time. Thanks for letting me know. Red is a good choice too, I would try it out!1589702059931.png

Hate to say it, but even theirs doesn't much look like a dog. Tried it with and without my glasses and it's still the same to me :rolleyes: Without your mentioning it I wouldn't know what it was supposed to be.

Might not matter- I failed my Rorsarch test when I told the Psychologist that every picture he showed me looked like an ink blot. I don't think he could handle reality well :ROFLMAO:

Phil
:ROFLMAO:Haha, so funny. When I posted to my social media, no one else can tell what they are. But when I first saw this picture, I immediately knew what they were. I don't know. Maybe it's because I have three cats? :ROFLMAO:

Yea, you are right. But I will keep it on until the police take action since I already put it on. The white reflective vinyl is nearly invisible in the day time, but it's another story in the night time. Thanks for letting me know. Red is a good choice too, I would try it out!View attachment 51668
The red retroreflective tape I have on my bicycle is a very good match for the standard reflectors/lamps, during the day it is similar brightness and looks like an original fitment, not a different red like in your drawing.

You are in Canada, so you don't need to obey UK law, but our law exists for good reason, it can be very confusing in the dark if you suddenly see something white in front of you on your side of the road, can easily lead to accidents!

I failed my Rorsarch test when I told the Psychologist that every picture he showed me looked like an ink blot.
Funniest thing I've read in a week. :LOL: (y) :LOL: (y) :LOL: (y)

In order not to forget to switch the toggle switch each time you start the engine, you can apply a relay, such as a relay for DRL (Controller-Daytime-Running), which turns on something when the voltage reaches 13.0 Volts in the on-board network (the engine is turned on) and turns it off when the ignition is turned off ( or vice versa)

In order not to forget to switch the toggle switch each time you start the engine, you can apply a relay, such as a relay for DRL (Controller-Daytime-Running), which turns on something when the voltage reaches 13.0 Volts in the on-board network (the engine is turned on) and turns it off when the ignition is turned off ( or vice versa)
In fact, when my toggle switch was in position A, the dashcam would only be powered through the usb power supply in the car.When I turn off the engine and dial to position B, it will charge powered by the PB.But when I restarted the car, I had to manually push it into position A so that it was properly powered, or my dashcam would crash.I mean the dashcam will keep resboot . I think maybe it's because my PB will still provide about 3V when it's charging. Is there any way to make it not output any voltage when charging?The reason I installed the toggle switch was because I wanted the ability to control when I didn't want parking monitoring, and most of the time I was parked in the garage. What is the different between DRL relay and normal relay?

The red retroreflective tape I have on my bicycle is a very good match for the standard reflectors/lamps, during the day it is similar brightness and looks like an original fitment, not a different red like in your drawing.

You are in Canada, so you don't need to obey UK law, but our law exists for good reason, it can be very confusing in the dark if you suddenly see something white in front of you on your side of the road, can easily lead to accidents!
Yes, right. I have a question. Under normal circumstances, the PB does not support charging while output. Will it still output a voltage of about 3V when it is charging? Because I did not push the toggle switch back to A postion, then I started the vehicle, the charger began to charge the PB, and the dashcam start to reboot again and again, it would not shutdown. I measured it with a multimeter, and the charger would still output around 3V. Is there any way to ensure that the charger does not do any output while charging? I'm afraid of damaging the dashcam.

Back