USB splitter for charging dashcam

brlmt

Reaction score
Country
United States
My car charger port stays on when the car is off, so I bought the only car charger usb port I could find with an on/off switch (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eea9/). Unfortunately it only has one USB port. I'd like to use it to charge my phone as well because the USB ports in my car have low power output. Will this supply enough power to run a B40-C dash cam and charge a phone at the same time? And are there any recommendations for USB splitters to buy? The ideal form would just be a male USB connector that splits into two cables with female USB ports at the ends. I've seen a couple on Amazon, but only for data, not charging.

My car charger port stays on when the car is off, so I bought the only car charger usb port I could find with an on/off switch (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eea9/). Unfortunately it only has one USB port. I'd like to use it to charge my phone as well because the USB ports in my car have low power output. Will this supply enough power to run a B40-C dash cam and charge a phone at the same time? And are there any recommendations for USB splitters to buy? The ideal form would just be a male USB connector that splits into two cables with female USB ports at the ends. I've seen a couple on Amazon, but only for data, not charging.

What you seek is available and it should probably work but you are correct to consider whether there is enough power (amperage) to charge your phone and run your camera at the same time. Since the cigarette lighter USB adapter you purchased outputs 2.1 Amps it should work OK with a B40-C. The phone might take longer to charge than you are accustomed to but it will indeed charge.

You can buy this one on eBay for about a buck fifty. (these are widely available, so look around for your best option.)

splitter2.jpg

I wouldn't use a splitter. The phone may try to draw 2.1 amps since it has no way of knowing it's supposed to be sharing power, and overload the charger or drop voltage and damage the phone

I think it is highly unlikely that a typical phone will ever draw 2.1 amps. Most phones charge at a much lower rate, usually around 1 amp. If there is less current available because the phone is sharing the 2.1 amps with another device it will just charge slower.

Edit: Just checked and learned that the iPhone draws 1 amp.

Last edited:
Why not just buy a bullet type charger with 2 USB sockets and 2.4 amps output per socket like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VH84L5E
It has circuitry for overload protection and device protection.

That's pretty much what I use. My truck has two 12V sockets in the dash console and with a dual USB port charger in each socket I run my four cameras.

Why not just buy a bullet type charger with 2 USB sockets and 2.4 amps output per socket like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VH84L5E
It has circuitry for overload protection and device protection.

I use the older non-IQ version of that PS and it is great in every way :D The price on sale makes that one a must-buy as I paid full price for mine :rolleyes:

Phil

My power splitter just died. So I have order one of these Jelly comb 65watt and 6 usb outlet.
s-l500.jpg

There's lots of stuff like this available on Amazon, and usually a few at the local chain auto parts places, and probably walmart.

41koi%2BygCTL._SY300_.jpg

I have had a few that had an on/off switch. One has a pushbutton switch on the plug, as well as a small LED readout of the voltage.
The number of cig lighter sockets, and usb ports varies, as well as the overall amp rating and port amp rating.
I use something like this run two dash cams, charge a phone or tablet, power a gps.

There's lots of stuff like this available on Amazon, and usually a few at the local chain auto parts places, and probably walmart.

I have had a few that had an on/off switch. One has a pushbutton switch on the plug, as well as a small LED readout of the voltage.
The number of cig lighter sockets, and usb ports varies, as well as the overall amp rating and port amp rating.
I use something like this run two dash cams, charge a phone or tablet, power a gps.
I have one of these and its still working. Its a good one.

I think it is highly unlikely that a typical phone will ever draw 2.1 amps. Most phones charge at a much lower rate, usually around 1 amp. If there is less current available because the phone is sharing the 2.1 amps with another device it will just charge slower.

Edit: Just checked and learned that the iPhone draws 1 amp.

The iPhone draws up to 2.1 amps. The OEM charger only supplies 1 amp

I saw a couple that had the small voltage meter in the face plate, I was interested in those, but wondering how accurate they were. I have two bullet types that you can plug into a cigar/cigarette type female connector, an Anker and a Scosche ReVOLT, but they don't have the voltage meter in them. Someday when Anker starts carrying a voltage meter model I'll get that. Anker is one of the best if not the best brands to get.

There was a review done somewhat recently on the best one's available but I can't remember who did the review, I'll check and see if I can come up with the reviewer.
Found it, I'll make a new post, I'm fairly sure a lot of people would like to read this.

Last edited:
The iPhone draws up to 2.1 amps. The OEM charger only supplies 1 amp

Yes, that's correct. I probably didn't explain it well. My understanding is that the iPhone can draw up to 2.1 amp if available (for faster charging) but has a minimum requirement of 1 amp.
So, going back to the OP's question, a typical dash cam and a typical smartphone should work OK with the splitter if it is powered by one of those 2.1 or 2.4 amp chargers.

The "IQ" charger technology isn't needed for dashcams and presents no benefits in dashcam usage. It does introduce another point where failure can occur :( The beauty of "IQ" lies in it's simple data input design, and while the usual failure mode is default to slower charging at 5VDC, it is possible for erroneous input to cause an overvoltage. That cannot happen with the old style chargers of good design and construction, which not all have as Jokin points out. Just because it is "IQ" capable doesn't mean that these won't suffer similar failures too.

As always what matters most here is consistent high build quality. Get that and you'll do well; stray from that and you may need another cam sooner than you should :eek:

Phil

Yes, that's correct. I probably didn't explain it well. My understanding is that the iPhone can draw up to 2.1 amp if available (for faster charging) but has a minimum requirement of 1 amp.
So, going back to the OP's question, a typical dash cam and a typical smartphone should work OK with the splitter if it is powered by one of those 2.1 or 2.4 amp chargers.

I don't think that's how it works. The iPhone isn't smart enough to know that you're using a USB port in a way it shouldn't be used and draw less power, it can only determine what the port is rated for

I don't think that's how it works. The iPhone isn't smart enough to know that you're using a USB port in a way it shouldn't be used and draw less power, it can only determine what the port is rated for
Surely a smartphone asks for a certain current to be allowed through. A value is negotiated, and the source provides 5V as long as that current limit is not exceeded. If it is exceeded, a current limiter kicks in and the voltage will drop. Or power is turned off completely.

Adding an extra device might trigger the current limiting, or with a dumb charger might exceed its abilities. I don't think either will damage a phone and camera connected in parallel. A dumb charger might overheat though.

On a related note I bought a 150W 12V to 5V converter and have yet to decide if/how it can be used safely for multiple devices. While intelligent circuitry would be nice, individual fuses per device should cover it. My worry is mainly about a device developing a short, drawing huge current, and catching fire. That rules out using simple USB splitter cables. Shame, it's very tempting in terms of usability and tidiness.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Surely a smartphone asks for a certain current to be allowed through. A value is negotiated, and the source provides 5V as long as that current limit is not exceeded. If it is exceeded, a current limiter kicks in and the voltage will drop. Or power is turned off completely.

Adding an extra device might trigger the current limiting, or with a dumb charger might exceed its abilities. I don't think either will damage a phone and camera connected in parallel. A dumb charger might overheat though.

On a related note I bought a 150W 12V to 5V converter and have yet to decide if/how it can be used safely for multiple devices. While intelligent circuitry would be nice, individual fuses per device should cover it. My worry is mainly about a device developing a short, drawing huge current, and catching fire. That rules out using simple USB splitter cables. Shame, it's very tempting in terms of usability and tidiness.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If voltage drops that can damage the phone, not just burn out the charger. I just don't see the point in doing this and using a USB splitter (which should not even be manufactured) when there are better options

Do you are anyone for that matter know the life span of the average dash cam charger, just wondering, I haven't read/heard any thing about this?

Do you are anyone for that matter know the life span of the average dash cam charger, just wondering, I haven't read/heard any thing about this?

Don't really know, but a decent one should last a very long time. The one thing I've learned about these dual USB car chargers and USB-A cables over the last three plus years though is that you need to take some care not to damage or cause excessive wear on the USB plugs and ports if you are in the habit of plugging and unplugging on a daily basis, over an extended period of time. One thing that can happen is that the plugs can become slightly bent and distorted if they take an unexpected hit now and again (and they will) and this can lead to intermittent connectivity issues.

Back