USB/SSD storage dashcam

Something else is that with today's higher bitrates the cards run hotter, and that is never a good thing with any electronics. Quite a surprise pulling the card from my A139 immediately on getting home; the cam was normally warm but the card was very very warm- some would probably call it hot. I am sure the plastic was softened some, but I didn't want to chance damaging the card so I treated it tenderly. Never felt a card that warm before, but it's still going strong.

So I don't know how much farther things can be pushed before the cards can't handle anymore, but if we're at their limits then something will have to change to go further and there doesn't seem to be any better choice than SSD. It's definitely time for manufacturers to at least start thinking about this.

Phil

The one thing I keep thinking is that isn't a SDCard a 'SSD' of sorts.

You could say that, but the likes of SSD or M2 drives have features the SD cards do not, some in regard to wear, at least thats how i understand it

I guess technically they are SSD's but I think everyone understands what is being spoken of.

Now wondering who will be the first to report a MicroSD which has melted down in their cam :eek: Or at least self-ejected once the locking tab lets go. Bound to happen if we don't get away from them first.

Phil

I suppose it's all down to size. They all use MicroSD now so I suppose the challenge is to reduce the heat. My card has been in use for 3 years now, but, only about 6k miles which is probably a better measure.

I suppose it's all down to size. They all use MicroSD now so I suppose the challenge is to reduce the heat. My card has been in use for 3 years now, but, only about 6k miles which is probably a better measure.

My preference for gauging duty life in memory cards is to consider the approximate number of hours it's been in use. Theoretically, one could use the card to record half the time while parked so mileage wouldn't be an accurate measure of longevity.

Ah yes, I keep forgetting parking mode because I don't use it.

Still, I'm quite happy with my Sammy card as it's been 100% reliable, even at 60fps high bitrate, but I do have another in stock just in case. I've never removed it after use so while the unit is warm I've no idea how hot the card gets.

Unless it is unusually hot outside when I make the trip into town I run my cameras when l leave my vehicle parked. On certain days my recording time while parked might be longer than my drive time.

Guys, keep in mind that those cheap large SSDs are cheap for a reason. For example, when you buy an "Endurance SDcard", most of the times it means it's at least MLC(2bits per cell) flash chip. Those cheap SSDs are now QLC(4bits per cell), or some of the better ones TLC(3bits per cell) - more bits per cell, lower durability, higher prone for failure.

Not to mention, basically none of them has an operating temperature range in -20 to 85°C as Endurance SDcards have. If you use one of the mainstream SSDs (0°C-70°C) in temperatures around 0°C or bellow you'll see some funny behaviour...

Last edited:
O Dident think of temperature part of it, still i suspect they haven't tested much on at least negative temperatures as most will not be using their PC at those really cold temperatures.
But yeah there is also a controller, maybe some dRAM in there too.

I am not going to put my laptop in the freezer :)

"for the majority of Delkin’s industrial solid state drives operating temperatures is -40 degrees Celsius to 85 degrees Celsius."

A Solid State Drive (SSD) with no moving parts has a much greater operating temperature range, as low as -55 degrees Celsius (-67 degrees Fahrenheit). So, if you’re planning an Arctic Expedition anytime soon – SSD would definitely be the way to go.

"for the majority of Delkin’s industrial solid state drives operating temperatures is -40 degrees Celsius to 85 degrees Celsius."

A Solid State Drive (SSD) with no moving parts has a much greater operating temperature range, as low as -55 degrees Celsius (-67 degrees Fahrenheit). So, if you’re planning an Arctic Expedition anytime soon – SSD would definitely be the way to go.
That's why i've mentioned "cheap" and "mainstream". SSDs which are able to withstand those temperature definitely exist but exactly as the quote says, you need "industrial grade" (a bit different prices).
Well, sure, even some of the cheap ones could probably manage to work but you shouldn't be surprised when one day it fails.

@Nath, I live in a climate that can get very cold in the wintertime and I've had experience over the years with a couple of dash cams that won't boot up below certain temperatures because it may exceed the specs of the DSP. The solution has always been to simply leave the camera plugged in for 60 seconds or so until the electronics begin to warm up and then re-boot the camera. At that point it will boot up as normal. Would a solid-state drive rated down to 0º C possibly do the same?

There is things as too cold with electronics, you cant just pour and pour liquid nitrogen on a CPU and hope it will boot, as i recall this is called cold lock in the overclocking community.
So you will often see overclockers with a propane torch in the hand letting it rip into the "pot" with the liquid nitrogen.

But ! that is of course extreme negative temperatures. but a CPU will still work even if it cold locked as i recall, just have to warm up a little.

Well yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. Just leaving a dash cam powered up for a minute or so apparently heats up the chip-set enough to get it going. I'm talking about temperatures down to say -10 to -20 C. (and below)

Last edited:
Yep seem to work alright, i cant recall anyone getting condensation problems which is about the worst case scenario i can think off, so i am confident if / when King frost really decide to invade Denmark again.
I would prefer that over driving and not have a camera or 5 going.

I had one instance some years back with a power supply (12V to 5V) that was 'reluctant' to work at -20F. I know it was the PS because at the time I had 2 cameras powered by it and they both started at the same time some 4 or 5 minutes after starting the car. I don't know if it was the ambient temperature in the car raising enough to wake it up or just the current input but once it came to life all was well.

In my case, I was able to confirm that the boot-up issue in extreme cold manifested in a couple of specific cameras and not others regardless of power supply. In fact, I was able to confirm that the v1 generation of Mobius had cold start problems but not v2 or v3. Don't know the explanation since the cameras use the same DSP. Could perhaps be a different component?

Now wondering who will be the first to report a MicroSD which has melted down in their cam :eek: Or at least self-ejected once the locking tab lets go. Bound to happen if we don't get away from them first.
Don't want an SD card melted into the slot! I suspect some other part of the camera would give up first.

Saving to cloud are a option IF.
You can afford a flat rate data plan. ( something like that here in Denmark cost the same as my gigabit connection on cable )
you can afford the often extra cost of renting cloud space.
Drive within good 4G or 5G range as you could easy generate 2 - 300 MB every 1 minute of recording, even more with 1440p or 4K systems.
Try add that up if you drive say 2 hours a day, that will be a lot of data in a month.

I would prefer local storage, but one that have all the error correction codes i can get, and i would also like encryption of my data, and i would also like a camera that generate very big files as it is high bitrates and high resolution.

Back