USB/SSD storage dashcam

Saving to cloud are a option IF.
You can afford a flat rate data plan. ( something like that here in Denmark cost the same as my gigabit connection on cable )
you can afford the often extra cost of renting cloud space.
Drive within good 4G or 5G range as you could easy generate 2 - 300 MB every 1 minute of recording, even more with 1440p or 4K systems.
Try add that up if you drive say 2 hours a day, that will be a lot of data in a month.

I would prefer local storage, but one that have all the error correction codes i can get, and i would also like encryption of my data, and i would also like a camera that generate very big files as it is high bitrates and high resolution.
That's the crux of the issue, 4G/5G data plans for constant direct cloud writes (especially for users who drive long journeys) is cost prohibitive. I’ve been looking into these GNET cams, specifically the GNET G-STYX S2.

I’m considering trying to get one with the external M.2 enclosure to test. Resellers are a bit thin, although they have recently opened a Amazon US store.

Yes G-net are a bit illusive, i talked on here and mail with a person from the company about testing a camera, and things was also okay, but then corona hit and nothing happened since then.

I dont know about the UK; but here in Denmark and with me having access to the 2 largest nationwide 4G networks, and the country in general being pretty flat, well i often have a poor 4G connection and some times even if only briefly i am down to 3G.

I prefer to have my footage stored in the car, but i would take other means of storage, and if offered i would also take encryption of the recorded footage.

I stumbled across a mobile NVR targeted at truckers that says it has a slot that will take up to a 4TB drive. Unfortunately, it only has 1080P cameras. I really want to buy it, but it's over $1k They have another one that they call a mobile DVR which has storage up to 512GB, either one 512GB car or 256Gb card. That one's around $600. It too only has 1080P cameras, but I was just looking at it for side cameras and not a primary dash cams.

Hi all, so revisiting this, GNET are a pita to get in contact with. I've given up trying to get hold of a G-STYX S2 as the external SSD enclosure is nowhere to be found via any international retailers.

Wondered if there's any other manufacturers who have announced external SSD options recently, other than the full on DVR truck options?

Hi all, so revisiting this, GNET are a pita to get in contact with. I've given up trying to get hold of a G-STYX S2 as the external SSD enclosure is nowhere to be found via any international retailers.

Wondered if there's any other manufacturers who have announced external SSD options recently, other than the full on DVR truck options?

External SSDs for dash cams have been discussed in this forum for quite some time but so far nothing like that exists. For one thing, the reason for this is that the processors that run dash cams were never designed with external mass storage in mind. Until that changes we are unlikely to see storage options other than memory cards.

CCTV cameras today use chip-sets and other components that are extremely similar and in many cases identical to dash cams but these are designed for use with a DVR or NVR. Perhaps we'll see true DVR/NVR based dash cams for personal vehicles one day?

Good news, so Lockdown Security in Canada have managed to get hold of these external SSD caddys for the GNET GT700, GT900, and G-STYX S2.

My adapter arrived yesterday, pretty much a standard M.2 SATA SSD caddy, with a USB lead (for hooking up to a PC to pull footage), and a proprietary cable that'll hook up to one of the pigtail cables on the G-STYX S2.

Just waiting on the G-STYX S2 to arrive from the Netherlands (https://www.dashcamdeal.com/gnet-g-styx-s2-4ch-fullhd-cloud-wifi-128gb-dashcam.html), then I can do a summary setup on Youtube.

Attachments

• IMG_3120.JPEG
    IMG_3120.JPEG
    571.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3119.JPEG
    IMG_3119.JPEG
    312.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3118.JPEG
    IMG_3118.JPEG
    407.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3117.JPEG
    IMG_3117.JPEG
    386.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3121.JPEG
    IMG_3121.JPEG
    332.8 KB · Views: 9
Hi all, apologies for the delayed update here.

I thought I'd do a year in review with the G-STYX S2, however in checking stock for this and the external SSD enclosure, both are now out of stock.
It appears the unit is now end of life in favour of its replacement, the "D-Force S1" https://gnetsystem.com.my/product-cam-g-Dforce-S1Van.html. lockdownsecuritycanada.ca have not been able to source more of the SSD enclosures from their supplier, however if and when they get restocked, the connections look to be the same on the D-Force S1.

I'll post a more rounded review in January on YouTube, but in short, the unit is excellent and very reliable!

Having fitted the unit back in February with the external SSD enclosure hooked up to a WD Blue SA510 250GB M.2 SATA SSD, I’ve not had any issues with recordings or corruption as opposed to using previous dash cams recording to SD cards (both standard and endurance).

Setting up the unit is relatively straightforward; to get it to record to the SSD you need to make sure no SD card isn’t inserted. By default, the unit records to an SD card over the external connection.

However GNET’s iOS/Android app is pretty poor for setting up the unit. When applying settings, they don’t seem to be written to the config file. It’s only useful for browsing and downloading content. I would suggest using the GNET Viewer application for Windows/Mac instead, as you can see the config file getting written to the root directory on the SSD when a setting is applied (hooking the SSD enclosure up using the included USB cable).

Given the scarcity of GNET devices (especially in Europe) this is more of a real-world use case of a dashcam with direct SSD recording capability. Sourcing both the G-STYX S2 and enclosure wasn’t easy, and it’s a shame GNET don’t market much in Europe.

I can see other brands into 2024 opting for SSD recording, Road Angel have already adopted internal SSD recording on their Ultra line of dashcams https://www.roadangelgroup.com/products/road-angel-halo-ultra-4k-front-dash-cam.

Hi all, apologies for the delayed update here.

I thought I'd do a year in review with the G-STYX S2, however in checking stock for this and the external SSD enclosure, both are now out of stock.
It appears the unit is now end of life in favour of its replacement, the "D-Force S1" https://gnetsystem.com.my/product-cam-g-Dforce-S1Van.html. lockdownsecuritycanada.ca have not been able to source more of the SSD enclosures from their supplier, however if and when they get restocked, the connections look to be the same on the D-Force S1.

I'll post a more rounded review in January on YouTube, but in short, the unit is excellent and very reliable!

Having fitted the unit back in February with the external SSD enclosure hooked up to a WD Blue SA510 250GB M.2 SATA SSD, I’ve not had any issues with recordings or corruption as opposed to using previous dash cams recording to SD cards (both standard and endurance).

Setting up the unit is relatively straightforward; to get it to record to the SSD you need to make sure no SD card isn’t inserted. By default, the unit records to an SD card over the external connection.

However GNET’s iOS/Android app is pretty poor for setting up the unit. When applying settings, they don’t seem to be written to the config file. It’s only useful for browsing and downloading content. I would suggest using the GNET Viewer application for Windows/Mac instead, as you can see the config file getting written to the root directory on the SSD when a setting is applied (hooking the SSD enclosure up using the included USB cable).

Given the scarcity of GNET devices (especially in Europe) this is more of a real-world use case of a dashcam with direct SSD recording capability. Sourcing both the G-STYX S2 and enclosure wasn’t easy, and it’s a shame GNET don’t market much in Europe.

I can see other brands into 2024 opting for SSD recording, Road Angel have already adopted internal SSD recording on their Ultra line of dashcams https://www.roadangelgroup.com/products/road-angel-halo-ultra-4k-front-dash-cam.
I think the Road Angel uses a built-in eMMC 64GB, and this dash cam is similar as the DDPAI model.

While we talked about the SSD storage, I thought it meant the storage is up to 1TB, 2TB.

I think the Road Angel uses a built-in eMMC 64GB, and this dash cam is similar as the DDPAI model.

While we talked about the SSD storage, I thought it meant the storage is up to 1TB, 2TB.

I see, a bit of misleading marketing there if that's the case.

Correct, so the G-STYX S2 can read external M.2 SATA SSD's up to 2TB.
250GB in my case is more than enough.

Back