Vantrue N4 Pro 4K 3 Channel Dash cam (Sony STARVIS2 )

Very nice.

I just see one problem, and its not with the N4 PRO, all those overhead cameras.
They are putting those up here too, with some lame excuse, and they are constantly getting vandalized

Looks impressive footage - be interesting to see how it handles.

The front camera on the A139 pro seem pretty noisy / grainy at night on the highway, even if it done seem to have any brighter footage as a trade off

Each cam comparison shows a lot of variance to the other, some better, some not so.

The N4 Pro needs some tweaking yet.

In this comparison A139 Pro gives more natural colors in day video and a bit more visible details at night. But I'm sure that it is software related and with new firmware builds Vantrue give us same result or probably better. ClearHDR if it will be implemented also may change everything.

Tweaking... hope that soon I'll be able to try made some mods for Vantrue.

The Novatek new chipset can handle noise a little better, the A139 Pro chipset is not the latest, but it seems it can do a good job of capturing license numbers.
But the A139 Pro chipset is the only powerful chipset of Novatek that can support 4K + digital FHD, still the most expensive one compared to the latest chipset.
We will try to optimize the video for very low light conditions. BTW, we do have a coming new 4K version.

As we explained before, the clear HDR is worse for night video.

the A139 Pro chipset is not the latest, but it seems it can do a good job of capturing license numbers.
Indeed, it was also just a conclusion i made, i am not into dashcams for cinematic footage at all.
If it took changing to black and white mode all day to get a significant lift in plate capture, i would go for a black & white system.
Or if it took just a single camera front system to lift plate capture or low light performance, well i would also go for a single camera then, then i would just have to get a #2 camera for the rear.

It is always interesting seeing how different brands approach the same problem, some times it make no or little difference, but then some times someone hit the gilden spike and leap out ahead,,,, at least for a while until they are copied.

we do have a coming new 4K version.

:cool:

The Novatek new chipset can handle noise a little better, the A139 Pro chipset is not the latest
96687 (A139 Pro) vs 96675 (N4 Pro) - who is latest? Sad, but I do not have any datasheets.
BTW, we do have a coming new 4K version.
Really wait for some final tech specs.
As we explained before, the clear HDR is worse for night video.
What the manufacturer of sensor is recommended for night footage - still use DOL HDR? Are they (I mean Sony) knows that new technology Clear HDR is worse than previous DOL HDR?
If it is true, then may be use Clear HDR for day footages only? Double shooting with different exposure values really makes some noticeable artifacts.

As Jeff stated here, Vantrue still working on Clear HDR implementation so I hope that we obtain it in Vantrue dashcams soon and be able to compare both technology personally.

Last edited:
Interesting comparisons. N4 lens on this sample seems not in good focus on the left side. This affects all the number plate captures of oncoming traffic.

A139P appears to be using higher gain to achieve shorter exposure durations than the N4 - resulting in more detail, and also more noise. N4 is brighter in the shadow areas.

Presumably, the camera mount on the ball joint cannot rotate 180 degrees so as to mount the cabin cam on the left (for European cars)?

This new N4 Pro is looking pretty impressive based on specs so far. I like the new upgraded mount which looks more solid, buffered motion detection parking mode, HDR for both front and rear cams, OTA firmware updates via the app, voice control, and the IMX678 of course.
That's very helpful! Thank you! Skimming through your video, it does look like the A139 Pro does a better job of capturing plates in the daytime as well as at night with HDR when your headlights are shining on the rear plate.

Have you seen any other trade-offs with the N4 Pro running as a 4K 3CH setup? I know the Viofo drops the resolution/bitrate/framerate for example as you step up to more channels. Is there something similar going on with the Vantrue? It's impressive that it can do 3840x2160p30 for the front cam as a 3CH setup.

Last edited:
This new N4 Pro is looking pretty impressive based on specs so far. I like the new upgraded mount which looks more solid, buffered motion detection parking mode, HDR for both front and rear cams, OTA firmware updates via the app, voice control, and the IMX678 of course.

That's very helpful! Thank you! Skimming through your video, it does look like the A139 Pro does a better job of capturing plates in the daytime as well as at night with HDR when your headlights are shining on the rear plate.

Have you seen any other trade-offs with the N4 Pro running as a 4K 3CH setup? I know the Viofo drops the resolution/bitrate/framerate for example as you step up to more channels. Is there something similar going on with the Vantrue? It's impressive that it can do 3840x2160p30 for the front cam as a 3CH setup.
Sorry, these are not my videos, these are videos of Polish colleagues. I just found them on youtube.

Bitrate and size of minute clips for H4 Pro cameras:
A = Front = 3840x2160/30fps
H = Salon = 1920x1080/30fps
C = Rear = 1920x1080/30fps
A = 32.4 Mb/s = 232 MB
B = 10.3 Mb/s = 74.0 MB
C = 10.3 Mb/s = 74.0 MB

Back