Vantrue N5 - 4CH Dash Camera Test & Review - RCG

I updated my early production N5 front and rear (RC06) firmware. ECJ202 (front) updated, ECD191 (the same) and ECI251 for the RC06 rear camera.

A couple things I noticed after the firmware updates:
  • Vantrue app 1.0.32 (Android)
    • Cannot set the new settings (there are entries in the app for them, but they don't bring up a setting panel
      • Audio Noise Reduction
      • ST/WT Auto Switch (DST switching setting?)
    • Resolution Settings
      • Resolution > Front+R Cabin+Rear (newly added)
        • If you attempt to select one of the resolution options other than the default one presented, it does appear to change the resolution to the one you select, but it boots you out of the "Settings" feature and you're dropped back out to the "Connect Your Device" portion of the Vantrue app.
        • This appears to occur no matter which camera combination and resolution setting you select.
    • Odd behavior in app
      • I'm sure exactly what triggers this (maybe trying to set one of the new settings from the "cannot set" list, some of the other settings panels will allow you to enter the page, but then it immediately exits back to the main settings page.
      • I also observed the live view screen (after entering and returning from the settings page) would every few since show the reloading circular arrow to the continue the live view
  • Auto LCD Off - WORKS!
    • The LCD screen seems to be getting turned off per this setting.
    • Entering parking mode no longer waits the 3-minutes it did before the update, but now it turns off the screen per the "Auto LCD Off" setting.
      • Before this firmware update, the LCD screen would remain on for 3-minutes.
      • I set the "Auto LCD Off" setting to 30 seconds and when I entered low bitrate parking mode (1080p 15fps), the LCD turned off 30 seconds after the parking mode icon appeared on the screen!

Screenshot_20231026-105418.png

I updated my early production N5
Thanks for the update.
I'm checking everyday for a firmware update for the S1 Pro.
The night time HDR performance is still non-functional.
I have a feeling Vantrue is pushing back the release date since I was told it be released mid October, (two weeks ago).

I updated my early production N5 front and rear (RC06) firmware. ECJ202 (front) updated, ECD191 (the same) and ECI251 for the RC06 rear camera.

A couple things I noticed after the firmware updates:
  • Vantrue app 1.0.32 (Android)
    • Cannot set the new settings (there are entries in the app for them, but they don't bring up a setting panel
      • Audio Noise Reduction
      • ST/WT Auto Switch (DST switching setting?)
    • Resolution Settings
      • Resolution > Front+R Cabin+Rear (newly added)
        • If you attempt to select one of the resolution options other than the default one presented, it does appear to change the resolution to the one you select, but it boots you out of the "Settings" feature and you're dropped back out to the "Connect Your Device" portion of the Vantrue app.
        • This appears to occur no matter which camera combination and resolution setting you select.
    • Odd behavior in app
      • I'm sure exactly what triggers this (maybe trying to set one of the new settings from the "cannot set" list, some of the other settings panels will allow you to enter the page, but then it immediately exits back to the main settings page.
      • I also observed the live view screen (after entering and returning from the settings page) would every few since show the reloading circular arrow to the continue the live view
  • Auto LCD Off - WORKS!
    • The LCD screen seems to be getting turned off per this setting.
    • Entering parking mode no longer waits the 3-minutes it did before the update, but now it turns off the screen per the "Auto LCD Off" setting.
      • Before this firmware update, the LCD screen would remain on for 3-minutes.
      • I set the "Auto LCD Off" setting to 30 seconds and when I entered low bitrate parking mode (1080p 15fps), the LCD turned off 30 seconds after the parking mode icon appeared on the screen!

View attachment 68764
Be interesting to see if Audio Noise Reduction is wonky too on the N5. It is on my N4 Pro, introduces distortion

I have had the same bugs when setting camera resolution or HDR on/off on individual cameras. That's been there since launch

Thank you for this review. It was the primary reason for my canceling my order for the VIOFO A139 Pro 2CH and ordering the VANTRUE N5 4CH.

Back