Vantrue N5 - 4CH Dash Camera Test & Review - RCG

To end my day of testing fun, I went to install the microSD card into the N5 and the plastic door/button cap fell of the magnetic ring that holds it to the side of the N5.
View attachment 66495

Same thing happened, but with the N4 Pro. The adhesive mount fell when it was sticked to the film provided; now I removed the film - hoping it'll stay on.. but might have to redo the adhesive with a new one or alternatives.

To end my day of testing fun, I went to install the microSD card into the N5 and the plastic door/button cap fell off the magnetic ring that holds it to the side of the N5.
1689986410355.png
On N5 fell off after 2 hours of work on the table. On the N4 Pro, the cover lasted 10 days in the car at high temperatures.
Perhaps because the N4 Pro heats up less.

We did realize the issue of the SD Card cover on the N4 Pro and N5, and there are two ways to solve this problem. It can be fixed by using glue, or we can send you a new card cover. We will improve this design in the following production.

Operation video for reference:

We did realize the issue of the SD Card cover on the N4 Pro and N5, and there are two ways to solve this problem. It can be fixed by using glue, or we can send you a new card cover. We will improve this design in the following production.

Thanks for the videos. I've attempted the "glue" fix. I'll test it out this week.

I guess it all depends on the glue. I pasted on N5 a week ago. As long as it keeps.
But we don't have heat. I glued it on N4 Pro only yesterday.

My cover still stick just fine.
And the N5 are chugging along just fine, nothing have jumped out at me the few times i have retrieved the memory card to look at the end result footage.
I will be logging a few KM on Friday and Saturday and will take a look at the memory card again when i get home

If something need gluing here i have a few options, ranging from my trusty shoe goo to CA glue.

I haven't experienced this problem but it is our winter.

What I have had trouble with is the short flexible rubber cable connected to the end plate. The very first time I installed the memory card I managed with much effort to pull the rubber out of its socket.
It was very difficult to get it back in its socket.

I suggest that the rubber tube be extended a little to allow the cap to move parallel to the unit.

I have bought the n5 as well and although updated the firmware, I seem to be getting a peo lem at parking mode, where even when collision is selected, the camera wakes up on motion detection and appears to be recording about 4 sec of video on all 4 cameras.

I had decided to work with power banks for my parking mode with my previous vantrue model and a collision detection setting was capable of lasting about a weeks or more days worth of battery. On motion detection it can last no more than a day or two. (30000 power bank).

Somehow I'm not able to just choose the collision only setting! (Although the icon is there on the main screen when chosen)

I was also thinking the interior cameras, well if no one get in the car they dont really have to record, so was it possible to put those on a trigger of their own, say for instance the cabin light.
That way those will only come online if someone open the door.
But i am not sure if cameras can be compartmentalized like that.
Well, preferably not. The interior cam works together so to make a 360 deg coverage of outside your car. Some people love to damage the side of your car and if interior is off, you miss the capture.

On a sidenote: the rear interior covers my tinted rear windows and not tinted front. Windows. This creates a whitish fuzz on the front windows, wich makes it hard to see through. I guess the computer focusses on the tinted windows. Adjusting exposure down didnt help. Turning off auto led makes it acceptable but still not great. Anyone have suggestions how to make it nice for both types of windows?

Thank you for your review, this information is very valuable.
Parking Mode turns off the display after 3 minutes, and I will discuss this with the engineer to make a more suitable solution.
The more I read about this cam, the more I regret getting the BV DR770X Box (which was defective and BV can't yet replace due to "production issues.") If only Vantrue had real-time cloud capability.....

I do not count anything a interior camera can see out of side front / rear window, and it is also pretty minimal, for sure not something i would bet even a modest amount of money on.
I can walk up to my car and key it violently along both sides, and there will not be a single identifying picture of me on N5 interior cameras, all interior cameras would see is about the middle 1/3 of me, and i do not expect to have my car vandalized by children or midgets.
When people read interior cameras in relation to dashcams, they should only think of capture of people / things inside the cabin.

Vantrue had real-time cloud capability.....

That might be a problem these days due to US cloud sanctions on China, but of course they could rent space at any outside place like Amazon and what ever other datacenter provider.
But if that make it cost efficient i do not know.
I would very much prefer if Cloud could be ones own NAS box at home. even if that might actually be more at risk than say some data center, but the worst thing i do in my car i dont want to share would probably be pick my nose, and in second maybe mu not so good sing along with the radio.
Anyway back to NAS, i would actually buy one just for this use if it was possible, even if that is a substantial additional cost to running a smart camera that way.

I do not count anything a interior camera can see out of side front / rear window, and it is also pretty minimal, for sure not something i would bet even a modest amount of money on.
I can walk up to my car and key it violently along both sides, and there will not be a single identifying picture of me on N5 interior cameras, all interior cameras would see is about the middle 1/3 of me, and i do not expect to have my car vandalized by children or midgets.
When people read interior cameras in relation to dashcams, they should only think of capture of people / things inside the cabin.
Yet Vantrue promotes it as a '360 deg coverage'. Wich is why i bought it. And it works much better than you claim it does. In fact, it works as promoted.

well it depend on what you expect when you hear 360 degree coverage.

I expect something like this, or actually a bit better in regard to overlap.

The N5 give me this, which i dont even think compare.

Now the N5 is a excellent uber camera, aint nothing going on in the cabin it do not capture, but what little / very little you can see out the side windows, as seen above severely over exposed, well do not count in my book.

Yet Vantrue promotes it as a '360 deg coverage'. Wich is why i bought it. And it works much better than you claim it does. In fact, it works as promoted.
Of course, there is no 360-degree capture, but four cameras in a parking lot are much better than two.
Here it is clearly visible.

well it depend on what you expect when you hear 360 degree coverage.

I expect something like this, or actually a bit better in regard to overlap.

The N5 give me this, which i dont even think compare.

Now the N5 is a excellent uber camera, aint nothing going on in the cabin it do not capture, but what little / very little you can see out the side windows, as seen above severely over exposed, well do not count in my book.
@brimopop567
Here's a video that demonstrates how all the cameras can be used to see 360 degrees.
While none of the cameras themself are 360 degrees the combined use give a pretty good go.

Indeed itll do for me. And the vision outside isnt full close up, but clear enough to see if and when someone approaches your car. If harm is done and you have an idea when the footage is taken, you could ask mall or store cams for help. Also it helps security to know if and when to increase rounds. So all in all, this camera does what it was promoted. And i like Vantrue support. Plus the concept itself is very simple and thus effective: just put another camera pointed inwards to the one that is already installed at the rear for outside.

And who knows, maybe Vantrue can offer an option to turn off the interior cams in parking mode. Or cloudstorage for future. I

And who knows, maybe Vantrue can offer an option to turn off the interior cams in parking mode.
Why turn them off? Do they bother you?
I personally need internal cameras more in the parking lot than in motion.
Although in motion they also benefit.

Back