Vico MF3 Essential Updating Tip for the latest Ver. 4.4 out this month February 2018.

A ELF file are sort of the same as a .bin file, but you will have to use a pice of software ( direct USB ) on the PC and the camera connected to the PS with USB.

It seem directusb now have support for A12 devises too.
http://dc.p-mc.eu/tools/directusb/download
Definitely works with the A12. Just unbricked a DAB202. :)
Now I just need the .elf file for the MF3.

Dash Cams should be idiot proof - I have no idea what I've done wrong to cause it to brick on me.
User manuals need easy instructions and troubleshooting info.

Dash Cams should be idiot proof - I have no idea what I've done wrong to cause it to brick on me.
It bricked on me too and I’ve updated a lot of dash cameras. Happens unfortunately.

Saw that ... I was relieved when it happened to you too. Cheers for that (y)

Might give updates a miss on the Vico ... ala ... if it aint broke who needs a 'fix' ;)

Last edited:

I Totally agree
They have an update .. very simple process and an Update Instruction doc. , but then go and miss out a routine, that says needs a reboot!

Dont they understand to us layman users, it could be indicative, that the whole update is screwing up, because it is not following the designated routine!

Mine did the Do you want to update - to which I said Yes ... took 0.5 of a second ... then asked to Reboot ... where it (iirc?) only had Reboot with a red cross which was the only option ... I thought I was saying 'Yes' .... it then Bricked with the 2 red lights and didn't budge unless I poked 'reset' then the red lights went out. Didn't matter what else I did - when power went on ... all that happened was that the 2 red lights came on.

Edit: The Tech asked me to take the SD card out and power on. Still 2 red lights, no screen. This removed a faulty card from being the cause.

Mine did the Do you want to update - to which I said Yes ... took 0.5 of a second ... then asked to Reboot ... where it (iirc?) only had Reboot with a red cross which was the only option ... I thought I was saying 'Yes' .... it then Bricked with the 2 red lights and didn't budge unless I poked 'reset' then the red lights went out. Didn't matter what else I did - when power went on ... all that happened was that the 2 red lights came on.

Edit: The Tech asked me to take the SD card out and power on. Still 2 red lights, no screen. This removed a faulty card from being the cause.

Yeah that was odd, i think mine just had an illuminated red x, and no other option ... you pretty much had to hit OK button to progress.

Novatek cameras seem to be more forgiving, every time i had to resort to a .elf file it have always been Ambraella SOC cameras.
Not even sure novatek based cameras have such a thing as .elf files, or if theirs flash / recovery files just have another suffix.

Got the .elf file from Vico and the MF3 is back up and running. Strange as I originally could not get the MF3 (it has the A12) to enter driver mode (I believe that's what it's called), so my PC would not recognize it. Tried a dozen times. Tried on another dash camera with the A12 chip and it's fine. Finally tried another USB cable and it worked fine. Very strange as this is the same cable I've been using for a long time. It has updated many cameras. It just doesn't like the MF3 for some reason. I should have known better to try another cable when I was first having trouble. :oops: I'm thinking that this is why the MF3 bricked on me in the first place. I think I used that cable to transfer the .bin file over to the card via Mass Storage Mode. @Moon I assume you should have your MF3 back and running fine soon.

Now you mention cable ... there's been around 8 times that the Cam hasn't powered on when ignition has been turned on ... and have needed to press the power button on the lower right. I'd thought maybe it is the extension cig input hub that may have a dodgy connection and hadn't considered the cable itself.
The Tech picked up the Cam from the P.O at 5pm last night (after work?) so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

I am using the supplied power cable ... only because the Cam does not always automatically turn on with ignition ... it suggests there is an interruption to the power supply to the Cam. Who knows - the Cam may sense that something is not right ... and shuts down, although this has been going on since I got it, so why now?

I guess finding the solution is why they pay the Techs the big bucks (y)
I'll be picking his brain and filing a report .... stay tuned folks!

Last edited:
Are you saying that you have a hardwire setup, but aren't currently using it because this is when the camera sometimes does not start correctly, but the camera starts fine when using the supplied VicoVation power supply?

Are you saying that you have a hardwire setup, but aren't currently using it because this is when the camera sometimes does not start correctly, but the camera starts fine when using the supplied VicoVation power supply?

No ... I don't have a hard-wire setup

The Vico supplied power cable is connected into a 3 input extension hub so that I can connect my rear Cam into it as well.
The Hub is connected into the Car's cig input. Because the MF3 Cam does not always come on with ignition, and I have to turn it on manually ... I figure there must be an intermittent power shortage to the Vico MF3. There is never a problem with the VIOFO powering on with ignition

There could be a problem in the Vico power cable? The Tech will be testing that I'd imagine

Last edited:
No ... I don't have a hard-wire setup

The Vico supplied power cable is connected into a 3 input extension hub so that I can connect my rear Cam into it as well.
The Hub is connected into the Car's cig input. Because the MF3 Cam does not always come on with ignition, and I have to turn it on manually ... I figure there must be an intermittent power shortage to the Vico MF3. There is never a problem with the VIOFO powering on with ignition

There could be a problem in the Vico power cable? The Tech will be testing that I'd imagine

I bet he doesnt bother and just connects it to his favourite setup.
Besy to ask him specifically to check it.

Got the .elf file from Vico and the MF3 is back up and running.

Received an email from the Tech this morning ...
'They think is has frozen up due a partial firmware upgrade.
They are sending us software to update the firmware via direct connection to a PC'

Received an email from the Tech this morning ...
'They think is has frozen up due a partial firmware upgrade.
They are sending us software to update the firmware via direct connection to a PC'
Yeah, that's the .elf file. You use a program called DirectUSB on your PC to load it directly to the camera.

Hadn't mentioned to Chris or the Tech about the Cam sometimes not turning on with ignition ... so mentioned that in an email I just sent, seeing it is still under warranty ...I might as well get that checked out as well

Last edited:
Back