Vico MF3 Essential Updating Tip for the latest Ver. 4.4 out this month February 2018.

Hadn't mentioned to Chris or the Tech about the Cam sometimes not turning on with ignition ... so mentioned that in an email I just sent, seeing it is still under warranty ...I might as well get that checked out as well
You might want to check out the
https://www.juicebitz.co.uk/juicebi...e-samsung-galaxy-s5-s6-s7-note-tab?filter=155 £5.95 delivered range, they have straight and L shaped usb cables.
Lovely heavy duty cables. Sure it means buying a usb charger but they are cheap.
As 20 AWG is a lot thicker than the usual 24 or 28AWG wires used. Good for long runs.

It is a nervous wait ... only the wheels turn slowly don't turn during the Chinese New Year period.

Came very close to being cleaned up by an oncoming Van when I was turning right after the light had changed.
I was turning in front of him and he was distracted and hadn't seen the lights change. Planted my foot and just got around.

I would've needed the Camera to show when the light had changed and that he had no intention of stopping.
It would have been complicated, as I am not supposed to turn until it is clear and safe to do so.

I need my Dash Cam back!! :cry:

Update

Received an email from the VicoVation Tech in Melbourne to inform me that they couldn't 'unbrick' my MF3 and that they are sending out an updated replacement today.

VicoVation Warranty in action - all good. Communication has been excellent.

Thankyou to Chris Hunt and the team at Dash Cams Central (y)

Last edited:
unusual to not be able to unbrick it, perhaps there was something else that was wrong with it that caused the update to fail after all

Interesting. Wonder what happened with yours then.

I know I had to try a few different USB cables to get the MF3 to connect properly with my PC. Once it finally connected, unbricking was easy.

I’m now working on a different camera with an A7 chip that’s bricked. This one has been a challenge. Can’t seem to get it to connect with my PC. It may actually be toast. :(

The Tech mentioned making a Video and sending it to VicoVation - so there were a few working on the problem.
There was also the intermittent Power on issue ... where it occasionally failed to turn on with ignition.

Update

Received an updated MF3 back from the Technician today ... It appears to be working and powers up on ignition.
I will be giving it a run later on.

Is it usual practice that a Dash Cam that is with the 12 month warranty period (8.5 mths) that bricks and is being replaced, that the replacement is 2nd hand and not a brand new one?

Edited

Last edited:
@Chris Hunt
@VicoVation

Update

Received an updated MF3 back from the Technician today ... It appears to be working and powers up on ignition.

Is it usual practice that a Dash Cam that is with the 12 month warranty period (8.5 mths) that bricks and is being replaced, that the replacement is 2nd hand and not a brand new one?
I am curious ... as I will admit ... seeing my MF3 could not be repaired - I was expecting a newy. Am I being unreasonable in my expectation ... thoughts?

I can't imagine that if someone purchased a Street Guardian from jokiin, CYA or SG USA ... that if the unit bricked and couldn't be used within the 12 month warranty period, that they would dash onto this forum at lightening speed and say - 'We are all over it, I'll get you a 2nd hand replacement in the Mail straight away' :unsure:

The MF3 arrived in a generic box wrapped in a bit of bubble wrap with some Polystyrene bullets ... and no note.
I'm not positive, but I don't think VicoVation is even making the MF3 anymore. It's possible that the only replacement they had available was a used unit.

Yeah ... maybe I should just be happy I have a working Dash Cam up front again. (y)

Last edited:
Update

Edited
I would assume that, it would be a new one.
However in fast moving consumer electronics, they are often superceeded very quickly. So you might have to have the later current model.

I would not expect a secondhand refurbished unit.

What makes you think it is not new?
Note they may have opened the box, to apply the update to make sure it worked.

On the practical side ... at least it works.
Note Canon absolve themselves from all responsibility rebarding updates ... its totally at your risk!
Buy a £3,500 Pro camera and brick it with an update and you just have a £3,500 brick!
They will not entertain any form of compensation! Very scary indeed.
I personally think that is disgusting, as some updates actually cure “known” faults. If it happened to me I would take them to court.

I would assume that, it would be a new one.

So you might have to have the later current model.

I would not expect a secondhand refurbished unit.

What makes you think it is not new?
Note they may have opened the box, to apply the update to make sure it worked.

On the practical side ... at least it works.

Thanks for the reply, Sub (y) The Jury is still out

Last edited:
Gave the replacement MF3 a run yesterday ... and all seems to be going fine so far. Night & Day pics seem good.
Condition of replacement very similar to mine ... near new looking. It's nice to have a front Cam back in action (y) Yeah Baby!!

Cheers to Chris Hunt, VicoVation and the Technician for getting it sorted ----> I'm back in business ... which is good :coffee:

Also ... cheers to the other contributors along the way - you know who you are ;)

Last edited:
Gave the replacement MF3 a run yesterday ... and all seems to be going fine so far. Night & Day pics seem good.
Condition of replacement very similar to mine ... near new looking. It's nice to have a front Cam back in action (y) Yeah Baby!!

Cheers to Chris Hunt, VicoVation and the Technician for getting it sorted ----> I'm back in business ... which is good :coffee:

Also ... cheers to the other contributors along the way - you know who you are ;)

Pleased for you.
Comforting to have the coverage :)

Not to mention, you would be well hacked off, if you had an accident whilst it was in repair!
Sods Law !

I’m now working on a different camera with an A7 chip that’s bricked

Flashing the Joovuu X cam with a ELF file using direct USB, i had to have one ( shutter ) of the buttons pressed down when inserting USB cable.

About the 1:30 mark.

Yeah, on the MF3 you have to press the Menu button, then plug in the USB cable. Same on the Dome DAB202. On the Dome G90C, you need to press the left arrow button, then plug in the USB cable. The Dome GS98C that I'm trying to unbrick, which has the same chip and sensor as the G90C, won't enter Developer Mode with any combination or button presses. My Dome rep is telling me that camera isn't able to enter Developer Mode, which I don't think is correct since I have the .elf file for it. This camera is probably just toast.

I've twice had problems with an update to my Vico MF3 ... so I won't be going there again.
Might give the next update to the VIOFO A119s a miss as well, just incase.

We could do with an emoticon of a person trembling with fear

I've twice had problems with an update to my Vico MF3 ... so I won't be going there again.
Might give the next update to the VIOFO A119s a miss as well, just incase.

We could do with an emoticon of a person trembling with fear

Idea
What was your serial number of the one that failed and the replacement.
I will dig out mine tomorrow lets get a list:-

Serial No
Date purchased
Ver.4.4 update yes or no

It might highlight potential update issue, as getting updates can deliver a new performance lease of life.
And allow us to avoid future issues, with later updates.

I don't have the serial number of the original. As mentioned ... I'm not doing future updates on the MF3 anyway
I sent an email to VicoVation in Taiwan to find out whether they are still manufacturing the MF3 but haven't received a reply as yet.

I'm not convinced that I would want to continue on the VicoVation path and pay twice the price compared to a VIOFO.
I will wait and see how long it lasts past its 12 month warranty ... as I am only coming up to 9 months.
It cost AU$270 so I'm not sure I would pay that again .. or AU$350 for an OPIA2 or whatever the latest Vico model is down the track.
No blips with the VIOFO A119s at half the price ... and I'm happy with the picture quality both Day & Night.

Last edited:
I don't have the serial number of the original. As mentioned ... I'm not doing future updates on the MF3 anyway
I sent an email to VicoVation in Taiwan to find out whether they are still manufacturing the MF3 but haven't received a reply as yet.

I'm not convinced that I would want to continue on the VicoVation path and pay twice the price compared to a VIOFO.
I will wait and see how long it lasts past its 12 month warranty ... as I am only coming up to 9 months.
It cost AU$270 so I'm not sure I would pay that again .. or AU$350 for an OPIA2 or whatever the latest Vico model is down the track.
No blips with the VIOFO A119s at half the price ... and I'm happy with the picture quality both Day & Night.

Wow I see your point
$270 is £153
$350 is £198

I paid £79 each incl. Delivery (double boxed) and 2 years warranty. Thats $ 153.
For me excellent vfm.

If I were you if another update comes in within your 12 months I would update it if they are still making them.

It would be good to know if they are still making the MF3s , cos they are on their website! So they are selling them.

There are a lot of dash cameras on the Vico site that they are no longer making. I don’t believe they are making any of the Marcus series cameras anymore. They stopped making the MF2 about a year or so ago. Pretty sure the MF3 was phased out awhile back as well. It was too close in price and spec to the Opia2. Vico was competing against itself.

Back