Video files not as long as they should be?

Mus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have an admittedly pretty cheap dash-cam (sold by JC Beauty) bought from Amazon in March of last year. I have thankfully not had much cause to recover footage from it so far, but today I witnessed an incident and I intended to send the footage to the police. Unfortunately on looking at the files on the memory card I have found that many of the recorded videos are less than a minute long, yet should in fact be 5 minutes long! Consequently there are huge gaps in the recorded footage, and sadly today's incident was missed entirely.

I am using a fairly decent video card, a Sandisk Ultra 32GB which is a class 10 card. All of the videos, and I mean every single one, has exactly the same file size of 402,816 KB yet the apparent video lengths vary massively from as little as 33 seconds to a full 5 minutes. Interestingly the file timestamps on each video are at 5 minute increments regardless of the actual length. This means that when a video has reached the 5 minute mark, the beginning of the subsequent video has no discernible gap from the end of the previous, yet when the video is shorter there is a significant gap as the next video doesn't start until 5 minutes after the previous one started. Clearly this is not the behaviour I want.

Is this likely to be a specific setting somewhere that is causing this, or more likely a fault with my cheap and nasty dash-cam? The unit appears to be stopping the recording at a specific file-size, yet only starting recording at timed intervals. Not sure if I am able to update the firmware on my cam or even perform some sort of hard reset.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Back