Video of Moped Crash after Bus lane change

I'm not sure I understand the street markings there?
It looks like the right lane transitioned from a parking area, to a lane you could use?

I don't think the bus driver bothered to look before moving over to the right lane, or he has it in for mopeds. :)

Last edited:
Its a lane that could be used. On some roads, not allowed to park on the road during rush hour and the clock on the Dash cam says 17:13 (which could be wrong).

I think the bus after he passed the park car assumed he could make the lane change and didn't bother to look. I see a lot of non defensive driving from the buses. We have numbers doing a descending count down for the pedestrians, which tell you how long before the light goes red. When the buses approach that a slow speed and could stop, they just go thru. Over here, buses are less likely to slow down at a yellow and stop at a red than other vehicles in the same condition even after some were caught on dash cams nearly running over pedestrians.

It appears to me the bus was trying to overtake the cars in front of him.

The bus did stop after the accident and check the moped rider. At the 55 second mark there is CCTV video of several people coming to her aid. Apparently the bus driver had no idea, but the passengers alerted him.

You will notice at the 48 second mark a no parking sign. That could be as its close to a corner, or there could be a caption that one can't park at a certain time.

My sympathy goes to the tree only.

How ... the ... hell ... did the moped rider not notice the bus moving across and respond accordingly??? Or was this an entitlement moment?

Over here many buses have stickers saying "This bus pulls over frequently."
Every time I see this I think "Well, duh, it's a bus."

At least the poster on the back of the bus in the video was potentially useful! :eek: Maybe the bus driver was drumming up trade.

oops, noticed I just posted to the wrong forum. Should have been in NOT recorded. Thankfully I don't drive downtown that much and don't encounter moped and bicycle shenanigans that much.

I can't keep up with all of the things I see on the road, but the last time I drove in that area I had few event worth incidents with bikes. That and the buses that drive in a non defensive manner and its like mixing gas and a match.

Dang moped rider had a bout of bad timing here missing the bus indicating.
But it still proof dont pass / overtake anything on the wrong side.

Tree 1, defensive driving 0. o_O

The lane markings confused me. The right stripe switched from broken, to solid, then back again.
I thought the solid line maybe marked the limits of a legal parking area, or something.
The girl was sneaking by the parked car, then the bus shot over into the lane as the line marking changed.
Lead me to believe that wasn't a continuous travel lane for some reason.

FWIW, when you drive a large vehicle, impatient people will shoot around you like that all the time, turn signal or not. Legal lane or not. Availability of a renewable resource crash barrier, or not. :)

moped1a.jpg

moped2.JPG

moped3a.jpg

On the other side of the street, there are more cars parked. Some beside the solid line, some not. Also that's the only case of a solid line. Other intersections and entrances to parking lots don't have the solid lines. I drive mostly in more out skirts and suburbian road and not so close to the down town and inner city. I can't recall seeing the solid line on regular streets like that in my travels where I drive

I am not a fan of lane splitting. I will tell you buses in my area, in particular the ones on the Freeways try to strong arm their way in when merging

Moped rider only has themselves to blame. Bus clearly indicates before the rider gets level with the rear & yet the rider clearly accellerates.
All well and good people saying the driver should be looking but you can look until your eyes bleed and the morons will still surprise you. In that second between shifting your gaze from a clear NS mirror to checking the OS mirror & back, the public can, and do, walk out behind you.
I sometimes have to pick up from a shared area & because it's really too tight to turn around (although do-able), I tend to reverse into the area. Hazards on, reverse bleeper, reverse lights and the reverse warning "BEEP, BEEP, caution, vehicle reversing BEEP, BEEP". Despite all of this, pedestrians STILL insist on walking out behind me, often within a few inches of the rear bumper.

Hehe yeat the heard need thinning out, but its too bad if honest hard working men and women have to pay to do that.
So the ppl in charge can start ww3 or make it free for ppl to run over dumbasses.

Availability of a renewable resource crash barrier, or not. :)
Do you mean the tree or the moped? :D

All well and good people saying the driver should be looking
The person doing the overtaking has more responsibility for making it safe than the person being overtaken.
Always. Always. Always.

If people would get this through their thick skulls there would be far fewer accidents.

When undertaking this is especially true.

I don't understand why people take the attitude of: "I know I was doing something risky, but if the other person hadn't taken a risk it would have been OK!"
And they can't see the flaw in that logic.:rolleyes:

Back