Video quality of the "A" lens in Mobius?

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
Hi to all, I'm trying to find some video samples of the "A" lens (Mobius Camera) on a street with other vehicles. Hopefully as a rear camera in a truck
It is for the rear of a Tacoma 2 door extended cab and I'm trying to see if the A lens will give me great/better resolution to see license plates better then the other lenses without loosing to much angle. For the rear of the truck it might work, I don't know though!

Thanks thancam it was hard to tell they move the cam to fast to be able to see much difference, maybe it's just me!

It's not that hard :) example
This screenshots was taken from this link:
20161963f4f2-e654-4f20-b554-dedb42206dbc.png

In lens C (below), the fied of view is larger. You can see a lot of think around you but not much detail.
In lens A (above), the fied of view is smaller. You can see a little detail clearly like a tiny rocks in ground. These rocks can't be seen in lens C.

I wonder why both are set to narrow in the GUI, i wold prefer to have seen them in their full natural flavor, but i assume that's also to be found on youtube.
Not quite the same FOV as i have with the x camera fitted with a 8 mm lens.

Plate readability on a truck where you first have to take out the length of the bed and then the length the car have to be behind that bed must be somewhat problematic at least with the normal wide angle lenses on dashcams.

If you FF to 2:00 in the following video you can see a standard X camera Vs the same camera retrofitted with a cheap 8 mm lens.

Since I happened to stick an old Mobius A in the drivers side window of my truck, today.....here's a short video.

(Was curious what the video looked like, at 64 mph. Noticed this lady on the cell phone as she passed me.)

This is old video from a Mobius A.

I'd still lean toward the C2 since the A is much worse at night. :(

Hi to all, I'm trying to find some video samples of the "A" lens (Mobius Camera) on a street with other vehicles. Hopefully as a rear camera in a truck
It is for the rear of a Tacoma 2 door extended cab and I'm trying to see if the A lens will give me great/better resolution to see license plates better then the other lenses without loosing to much angle. For the rear of the truck it might work, I don't know though!

No video, and not from the rear but here's a Mobius "A" lens screen shot out the front from a recent comparison test with the SG9665GC.

mobius_a_lens.jpg

When it's dull, dusk, night, high speed or objects moving rapidly across the cam's field of view, most cams will struggle with capturing plates.

In general, rear cams have an easier job because objects tend to come towards them slower due to the forward motion of the vehicle with the cam. Vehicles coming from behind are only closing on the cam at a quarter to half the speed of vehicles approaching from the front.

If it helps, here's a dashcammer who uses an "A" lens Mobius: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe7fjGTdq5zC_Kq3x5hIy-Q. It's only front footage but it's real life usage, therefore you get a pretty good idea of the video and audio quality and FoV, even if it's on YT.

Last edited:
Here's footage of my A-lens out the back of my car (with tinted windows). Due to my powered sunshade, I have to put the camera skewed to the side (see my avatar).

I used this video to troubleshoot black smoke coming out of my exhaust on hard acceleration - which is apparently common in Kia GDI engines.

This one has an A-lens as well: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7qeAv8ouGT6o5bZDxFJ7aQ

I'm considering using one along with the SG9665GC for clips that look too tame with the wide angle.

I use a SGZC12RC-V2 and a Cobra 840E in the front of my car. The SG has good night performance and one of the widest field of view available. The Cobra is unremarkable except for its very narrow field of view which considerably 'magnifies' objects compared to the SG.

Two daytime screenshots and two nighttime screen shots show the field of view/magnification and also the significant difference in night performance (just realised 3rd picture is a Panorama II S but it's very similar video to the SG-RC):

-

Where are you planning on mounting the Mobius- in the rear window? I would think the length of the cargo area and tailgate might block a lot of the vehicles following you?

I've got an A lens Mobius in the rear window of my Kizashi sedan- there's a short clip here
(Keep in mind Youtube destroys the video quality and it's got tinted windows .)

Worth noting that Mobius might not work reliably in modern cars, especially diesels, due to stop-start systems, 'glow plug pause' and power fluctuation when cranking the engine. I tried a Mobius (C2 with capacitor) in my car (a modern diesel) but it was 0% reliable due to always powering down a few seconds after startup.

Worth noting that Mobius might not work reliably in modern cars, especially diesels, due to stop-start systems, 'glow plug pause' and power fluctuation when cranking the engine. I tried a Mobius (C2 with capacitor) in my car (a modern diesel) but it was 0% reliable due to always powering down a few seconds after startup.

did you ever try it with battery, did it have the same problem?

did you ever try it with battery, did it have the same problem?

I have the battery which came with it but never tried it; I immediately swapped it out for the capacitor. My wife now has the Mobius in her car as a backup. Her car is petrol and doesn't have stop-start. The Mobius seems fine in her car.

I have the battery which came with it but never tried it; I immediately swapped it out for the capacitor. My wife now has the Mobius in her car as a backup. Her car is petrol and doesn't have stop-start. The Mobius seems fine in her car.

just wondered if it did the same on battery

Back