Viewing dashcam output with Linux/FFMPEG?

Arcas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I don't have access to a Windows or OSX environment so that appears to eliminate some of the viewing tools that have been recommended in various threads here. Are there dashcams whose output can be extracted and viewed in a Linux environment, perhaps using the various A/V toolkits available (FFMPEG, etc)? How does GPS data factor into this? Do dashcams typically integrate GPS data into the stream in such a way that custom software is required to extract video from the stream?

Sorry if these questions are noobish but the new A119 and Mini dashcams have convinced me to take the plunge but a cam won't do me much good if I can't do anything with the video afterwards.

there's nothing unusual about the video for 99% of the models out there so you can play videos no issue, it's only the GPS side of things where there's no Linux support to view map details etc

Thanks for the responses. I was aware of the thread that @thancam linked-to but I hadn't seen any threads where there was a consensus of "Yeah, this works". I didn't want to spend hundreds of $'s on dashcams for my car and my wife's car only to find out that I need to spend another $100 for a Windows license. @jokiin's response has put my worries at ease. Thanks both of you.

Back