Viofo 229 image quality issue?

DashCamKing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've posted before about this and been told it's normal. Can anyone explain why the difference in image quality between the 2 marked areas in this picture? It doesn't appear normal to me.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 09.44.27.jpg

The center of the image looks out of focus.
Submit a support ticket to initiate warranty replacement here;

Have you checked that the lens is clean and doesn't have any protective film over it?

The image is a bit odd, doesn't appear to be a simple out of focus.

I suggest using the dashcam outside the car, using a powerbank if necessary, without CPL, so that any issue with the windscreen or CPL are not in the image, post an image from that, if it still looks the same then I think there is a lens fault rather than just out of focus, but it is worth checking what it looks like without anything in the way.

I've posted before about this and been told it's normal. Can anyone explain why the difference in image quality between the 2 marked areas in this picture? It doesn't appear normal to me.

View attachment 69758
That is certainly not normal. The building on right side of the image is sharp while objects on the left at the same distance from the camera are not. The center of the image is markedly worse. Assuming there is nothing on the lens or a problem with the windscreen then I suspect one, or more, of three things are causing this: 1) a defective lens, 2) the lens is misaligned in the mount or, 3) the mount itself is defective and/or misaligned.

Thanks. I don't review footage that often and was shocked when I viewed this. I will do some more testing. I wonder if the issue is variable depending on light level and temperature? My rear camera gives a clearer image than the front and my old A129 is better overall.

...I wonder if the issue is variable depending on light level and temperature?...
Light level probably not, but it could make the issue more or less obvious.

Temperature could have a bearing if it's causing components to expand/contact thus affecting the focus. There have been reports of this happening in the past but it's not very common. The rear camera on my S1-Pro will experience a bit of 'focus shift' after it's been operating for a while and heats up. Certainly changes in ambient temperature can have the same effect.

I wonder if the issue is variable depending on light level and temperature?
Temperature maybe, but only because there is something wrong; at current UK temperatures there should be no temperature issues.

More likely, one of the glass lens elements is loose and sometimes moves out of position.

Back