viperman_69

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone who has one of these kits verify that the power output differs from pin to pin on the 5 pin mini usb connector depending on what wire (ACC) or (+ battery) gets power ?
I am wondering if the power switches pins based off what wire gets power... that is how the Dash cam knows to switch to parking mode ?

I did ask how the camera knows.... but I am asking a more specific question. What is happening at the power connection on the dash cam ? I would like to know the pin out diagram for the dash cam. Which pin powers the camera to run all the time ? which pin tells the camera that it is in parking mode ? maybe I need to draw a pic or something to better describe what I am asking ?
For example on the 3-wire kit there is a 5 pin mini usb connector. when the car is on, which of those 5 pins is the ground and the power ? and then when you turn the car off which of those pins is the ground and the power ? the camera has to KNOW how to enter parking mode somehow... I am guessing that there are 3 main power pins that the camera looks at and depending on WHICH one of the pins is giving the camera power, it knows to enter parking mode... This is what I am trying to figure out.

only three pins are used on the connector, ground doesn't change, two pins are powered, one for B+ and one for ACC, the camera changes modes depending on how it is configured in the menu and whether the ACC pin has power or not

if you're planning some sort of DIY solution it's not just about power, there is logic involved as to how the power supply switches on and off

two pins are powered,
Presumably one of those is just a signal rather than power, the camera will always use the normal USB power pins as its power supply.

Presumably one of those is just a signal rather than power, the camera will always use the normal USB power pins as its power supply.
yes the power is the same as 2 wire USB, the extra pin for ACC is just a signal to control the camera

Reactions: Mtz
I did ask how the camera knows.... but I am asking a more specific question. What is happening at the power connection on the dash cam ? I would like to know the pin out diagram for the dash cam. Which pin powers the camera to run all the time ? which pin tells the camera that it is in parking mode ? maybe I need to draw a pic or something to better describe what I am asking ?
For example on the 3-wire kit there is a 5 pin mini usb connector. when the car is on, which of those 5 pins is the ground and the power ? and then when you turn the car off which of those pins is the ground and the power ? the camera has to KNOW how to enter parking mode somehow... I am guessing that there are 3 main power pins that the camera looks at and depending on WHICH one of the pins is giving the camera power, it knows to enter parking mode... This is what I am trying to figure out.
I don't know how the on/off signal is implemented from the hard wire kit to the camera but you asked for the diagram, here is a pinout to the 5 pin usb port similar to the one on the camera.

7f9686f773897c9c6946880cb377ace2.gif

I don't know how the on/off signal is implemented from the hard wire kit to the camera but you asked for the diagram, here is a pinout to the 5 pin usb port similar to the one on the camera.

View attachment 48395

Presumably either Pin 2 or Pin 3 is being used for the ACC detection. Which one, you'd have to try and figure out as I doubt you'll get an answer from Viofo. Also, I'd only test with 5V and not 12V, presumably the Viofo module is sending 5V on Pin 2 or 3. Try at your own risk.

Presumably either Pin 2 or Pin 3 is being used for the ACC detection. Which one, you'd have to try and figure out as I doubt you'll get an answer from Viofo. Also, I'd only test with 5V and not 12V, presumably the Viofo module is sending 5V on Pin 2 or 3. Try at your own risk.
Yes, thanks... I guess I will have to try myself as it seems no one has one laying around they can test.

One think for sure though, I would NOT try to attempt to input 5V or even worse 12V in to any of the data pins which are 2 and 3 as you can easily damage the camera.

Reactions: Mtz
One think for sure though, I would NOT try to attempt to input 5V or even worse 12V in to any of the data pins which are 2 and 3 as you can easily damage the camera.
I am going to do some tests once I get the 3 wire kit as I am curious about stuff... I will not send any voltage into the camera I will only measure the voltage in certain places.

I am going to do some tests once I get the 3 wire kit as I am curious about stuff... I will not send any voltage into the camera I will only measure the voltage in certain places.
Which camera are you using or planning to use?

I think it is actually pin 4, and maybe it should be limited to around 3.3 volts for safety.

I think the question is whether the trigger signal coming from the 3w kit is analog or digital. If it is analog then the pin 4 would be used for 5v (accessory). If it is digital command, the data pins would be the ones responsible for the communication between two of them (wire kit and cam) for the on/off signal and parking mode .

I think the question is whether the trigger signal coming from the 3w kit is analog or digital. If it is analog then the pin 4 would be used for 5v (accessory). If it is digital command, the data pins would be the ones responsible for the communication between two of them (wire kit and cam) for the on/off signal and parking mode .
with the price of the kit being under $20, I am sure its analog. I am almost positive it just turns one of the signal wires on or off that goes to the cam.... I will find out.....

I think it is a digital signal on pin 4, as in high or low, and probably at TTL voltage levels.

Note: The words "I think" mean that I am not certain!

Back