Dave_Lian

Reaction score
Country
Norway
So i cannot connect directly to 12v supply when wiring?

cut usb cable and wanted to Connect directly to 12v accessories but no power at all.

Do I Need to convert 12V to 5V in order to work?

Do I Need to convert 12V to 5V in order to work?

Yes! The camera works on 5 volts. If you connect it directly to your car's 12V power supply you will fry the electronics in your camera.

The USB cigarette lighter charger that comes with your camera converts the car's 12 Volts to 5 Volts.

charger.jpg

If you want to connect directly to your car's 12V system you will need the HK4 Viofo hardwire kit that is available for your camera. It too will convert the voltage to 5V.

https://viofo.com/accessories/254-7...29-prot130wm1.html#/38-fuse_type-not_included

hardwire kit.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! The camera works on 5 volts. If you connect it directly to your car's 12V power supply you will fry the electronics in your camera.

The USB cigarette lighter charger that comes with your camera converts the car's 12 Volts to 5 Volts.

View attachment 71517

If you want to connect directly to you car's 12V system you will need the HK4 Viofo hardwire kit that is available for your camera. It too will convert the voltage to 5V.

https://viofo.com/accessories/254-7...29-prot130wm1.html#/38-fuse_type-not_included

View attachment 71518
Will this also work then?

Attachments

• IMG_2965.png
    IMG_2965.png
    356.7 KB · Views: 7
Yes, according to the technical data it would work. But you don't have a voltage monitor and there is a risk that you might have your vehicle battery empty.
So I would rather recommend the hardwire kit HK4 from VIOFO

Yes, according to the technical data it would work. But you don't have a voltage monitor and there is a risk that you might have your vehicle battery empty.
why is that? Will connect to 12v cigarette lighter. It’s will only get powered when key is on ignition position 2.

I think you want to connect it directly to the battery!
If you want to use the cigarette socket, you won't have any problems if you use the included VIOFO charger/adapter. So what's your problem really?

I think you want to connect it directly to the battery!
If you want to use the cigarette socket, you won't have any problems if you use the included VIOFO charger/adapter. So what's your problem really?
No. Not directly to battery!

I didn’t know that it can only powered by 5V, that why I asked here. Did not order with VIOFO HK!

Will this also work then?

It might work and it might not. Some of these generic aftermarket hardwire voltage converters from China have been known to cause voltage fluctuations that can damage your camera or cause performance problems.
I would recommend sticking with the Viofo HK4 model that is very well made, reliable and is compatible with your camera.

No. Not directly to battery!

I didn’t know that it can only powered by 5V, that why I asked here. Did not order with VIOFO HK!
If you don't want to connect directly to the battery (the HK4 kit would be ideal for that), then just use, as I already wrote, the VIOFO adapter and the VIOFO cable that you got when you bought the Viofo A119 mini 2.

Back