2 Viofo A119 mini 2 + BMW 3 G20

deepocean1358

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Could someone tell me what cable length I need to connect 2 Viofo A119 mini 2 dash cams in a BMW 3 G20 series. I am assuming the battery is located in the back.

I am looking to buy these cables, are these long enough? And do I need to order any additional gear?

Just to clarify, the 2 dash cam units are intended to be used independently for front and rear.

Could someone tell me what cable length I need to connect 2 Viofo A119 mini 2 dash cams in a BMW 3 G20 series. I am assuming the battery is located in the back.
You do not need to look for the battery, even if it is under the rear seat, you need a fuse box, and you need to connect to it.

The total length of the hardwire kit: 13.1 Feet/4M.

This length is enough to connect the front dashcam to the fuse box, which is located on the right under the front panel.
Here is a video on how to get there
Viofo HK4.jpg

The location of the fuses for the various fuse blocks is here: https://imgvehicle.com/bmw/g20-g21/fuse-box

UPD: And another fuse box should be in the trunk. You can check this by lifting up the protective mat.
From the rear dashcam, you can stretch the power wires and connect there.

More video:

Last edited:
That is good to know, that means the default cables will do just fine. Thank you Leonauto.

BTW

Can someone confirm that this setup, with 2 independent A119 mini 2 dash cams, provides a superior video quality compared to a regular VIOFO A139 PRO setup. Especially the rear camera should be quite a bit better, correct?

And which fuse do I need with my G20 car when buying the cable below?

HK4 Hardwire Kit is Type-C USB Port For A119 MINI/A229/T130/WM1 Dash Camera.

1687789762263.png

Yes, especially the quality from the rear camera. In addition, you benefit from improved reliability, as two independent dashcams will work, and this will also have a positive effect when recording in hot weather.
A Wi-Fi connection will give you access to the rear camera and you won't lose a lot of functionality compared to the A139, although there will be no "station mode" and some other goodies.

Is there any technical limitation to these Mini2s? Or could Viofo decide to implement the station model feature in the future? What are the other goodies :) ?

And which fuse do I need with my G20 car when buying the cable below?

It seems that there are both MINI (ATS) and ATO (ATC), which ones to order - first decide which circuits you will connect to. The safest bet is to find an automotive electrician to look at your car and fuse boxes and make a recommendation.
(It will be much faster and more reliable than looking for all this on the Internet) :)

I dont like several single cameras for the fact i will have to go for footage in several places, but i did do so years back when multi channel systems was not yet the norm.
I did make it a rule to just take the whole camera with me, as messing with the little spring loaded memory cards in the car can be a pain if it launch ( we have a informal club of people that had unintentional premature memory card ejection, and some never finding their card again, and other of us doing that after crawling on your hands and knees on pebbles for 45 minutes )
So back then pulling the little mobius camera i used as a rear camera, no problem as it was mounted on a magnet, so just pull plug and you was good.

For a normal person its probably even less of a problem as you do not have to go for the memory card all the tims as hopefully you do not have things happening all the time, so once every few months to look at footage and do a in camera format of the memory card, thats not too bad.
But a dashcam tester / addict, well having to pull several memory cards after almost every drive, that did become a bit boring, so when i got the chance i jumped on the dual channel systems.

Also as we are in the EU and cars have plates in both ends, i am OK with the rear camera being a lesser resolution / quality, it is just a secondary camera to me, even if i would not like to be without one.

On the + side, if you use 2 similar single cameras, their boot time should be the same, so without editing your 2 streams should be in sync, something using different models would not do due to different boot up times, so some creativity in video editor was needed, even if most editors today have a easy way to automatic sync up several different camera recordings of the same scene.

it is generally always my front camera that capture things worth sharing.
BUT ! the 2 times i have had a event personally ( both rear endings ) well i did not get that on video.
First time my single rear camera was on a too long and too cheap USB cable, i knew it dident always boot, so i was a idiot that i dident fix that.
Second time, i was parked and did have dual channel camera in parking guard, but my problem was i used a 1 hour cut off on the build in timer, and my car was hit after it had been parked for 2 hours.
I now use a 3 hour cut off timer on my parking guard system.

Stupid / funny things in traffic, and i also have a first row seat at a intersection when someone ran a red light and crashed, well it is rare i have had to go to side cameras or rear cameras to be able to share those moments.

Last edited:
I have seen in here others have had problems with the rear cameras in dual systems, most often damaging the wire.
I for some reason have never had that happen to me, and its not like i am especially thorough in my installs, some times a new system are almost "thrown" in the car, and only a while later will i tidy up the wires a bit more.

Last edited:
It seems that there are both MINI (ATS) and ATO (ATC), which ones to order - first decide which circuits you will connect to. The safest bet is to find an automotive electrician to look at your car and fuse boxes and make a recommendation.
(It will be much faster and more reliable than looking for all this on the Internet) :)
OP, even easier, I’d follow the fuses listed on this document for your G20, they’re the ones bmw advise. They will only list 1 fuse box, most likely the front but the same signal may also be available at the rear fuse box. What age is the G20?
BMW advanced car eye instructions

OP, even easier, I’d follow the fuses listed on this document for your G20, they’re the ones bmw advise. They will only list 1 fuse box, most likely the front but the same signal may also be available at the rear fuse box. What age is the G20?
BMW advanced car eye instructions
My G20 is from December 2020.
Which fuse should I use, the one with permanent power on or the ones that has power when you switch the engine on?

My G20 is from December 2020.
Which fuse should I use, the one with permanent power on or the ones that has power when you switch the engine on?
Both, especially if you want to use parking mode. If you only want it running with engine on put both to the switched feed (terminal 15/kl15) permanent is terminal 30 although there’s not many proper terminal 30’s anymore. You get 30G and 30B etc which are shut down at set intervals after the car goes to sleep.

A caveat I would add is that instruction is from before your cars build date so it’s possible changes were made to fuse box layout. I’ll have a look if I think on later.

Both, especially if you want to use parking mode. If you only want it running with engine on put both to the switched feed (terminal 15/kl15) permanent is terminal 30 although there’s not many proper terminal 30’s anymore. You get 30G and 30B etc which are shut down at set intervals after the car goes to sleep.
so which cables would I need for this?

I have tried to contact the BMW dealer, but they refuse to give answer, as they only work with original parts.
The other stores refuse to do any research before having the dash cams in hands, so that's not working either.

So what to do, which connection points do I need?

I have tried to contact the BMW dealer, but they refuse to give answer, as they only work with original parts.
The other stores refuse to do any research before having the dash cams in hands, so that's not working either.

Yes, there is such a problem, dealers do not want to get involved, and stores are incompetent in such things.

Okay, let's try. Can you take a photo of the fuse blocks you plan to connect to to see what fuses are actually used in your car?

Yes, there is such a problem, dealers do not want to get involved, and stores are incompetent in such things.

Okay, let's try. Can you take a photo of the fuse blocks you plan to connect to to see what fuses are actually used in your car?
I can try to open the space to get to the fusebox. Although the fusebox in the back trunk is much easier to access, I guess it should be the same, correct?

The car has so many fuses/slots for electronics; I doubt it matters which size you choose, since you will have at least 2 of each size that you can use for the HW-Kit.

Back