VIOFO A119 V3

Thanks again

Is vvs right that the dashcam needs to be on the drivers side, closest to oncoming traffic ?

I cannot confirm, but I have a DVR installed a few centimeters to the left of the rear-view mirror.
Вид из салона.jpegВид снаружи.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Jocko, that's what I gathered from the screen grab and what I've seen on UK roads when I've seen them.

For me it's a balancing act between day and night and the vast majority of my journeys are daytime so as much as trying to replicate the above numberplate grab I'm going to focus on daytime clarity.

Thanks for all the 2.6T shots

Yesterday, on the 2.6 auto HDR software, while driving, the cup symbol appeared on the video recorder screen along with the sound signal. Anyone noticed it sooner?

Yes for Great Britain - to the right of the mirror.
Unfortunately that's illegal here. Anything stuck to the windscreen within the sweep of the drivers side wiper arc will cause a MOT fail.

I've scoured my footage and the best/typical image I can produce with LED headlights and UK reflective plates is this :

Y2fxSrM.jpg

FW 1.03 30fps 0 EV 32mph / 51kph

FW 1.03 30fps 0 EV 32mph / 51kph
Firmware 1.03 does not have HDR, and without HDR it is impossible to see license plates at night.
HDR has been implemented in firmware 2.0 and higher.

Attachments

• 2.01_Mod_HDR=on_EV=-1,3_CPL=on.jpg
    2.01_Mod_HDR=on_EV=-1,3_CPL=on.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 64
I've run all firmware right up to 2.5 with very little change. I suspect that's partly due to having the dashcam on the passengers side.

As I've posted before, HDR for me causes unacceptable motion blur in daylight and whilst the menu system says On and Off it really means High and Low, and that came from a very reliable, confidential source.

Taking all into consideration I'm happiest with 1.03 that gives me the sharpest daylight screenshots.

Thanks for all the night examples.

Taking all into consideration I'm happiest with 1.03 that gives me the sharpest daylight screenshots.
This is not the right decision, the latest firmware works during the day like firmware 1.03, there HDR is disabled, and at night HDR is on. automatic!
You set the working hours of the HDR yourself in the menu!

I observed that many people are pointing and keeping the interior camera of T130 to the drivers window to avoid recording the driver.
Everyone sets up the inner camera according to their needs. The T130 interior camera in my car is aimed at the passenger door and passenger.

Unfortunately that's illegal here. Anything stuck to the windscreen within the sweep of the drivers side wiper arc will cause a MOT fail.
Only if it intrudes more than a certain amount into the swept path. I've never had an MOT problem throughout years of running dashcams on both sides of the mirror.

Not possible on my MK4 Jazz.

The central top of windscreen camera/sensor bank cowl is 9" wide, as is the rearview mirror so the dashcam can't go behind the mirror.

When I first fitted it I got it wrong and this was the result, Note the black bit (cowl) on the right :

Iyllorl.jpg

I've since moved it further left to avoid the cowl and it's 4 inches away from the cowl edge to lens centre.

If I did that on the drivers side it would be right in my line of sight.

= I can't win

Not possible on my MK4 Jazz.

I've since moved it further left to avoid the cowl and it's 4 inches away from the cowl edge to lens centre.

If I did that on the drivers side it would be right in my line of sight.

= I can't win
Yes, I do understand that not all cameras suit all cars. Generally I think it is easier to find a practical & legal place to install the A119 series than something like the A139 or T130.

In our family car I have just the A129, installed on the passenger side.

I very rarely, almost never, have any passengers and I can easily lift the cam off and on the mount without hitting the mirror so the position is fine.

Plus I can easily see the red light that I couldn't in the Civic because it was behind the mirror.

This new Jazz with :

RDMS
ACC
LKAS
CMBS

Certainly seems to need a mass of sensors behind the rearview mirror.

Back