Viofo A119S dash camera reviews

Agreed, but why do I feel I have been had with the A119S as being great this and great that, I'm not a beta tester so now I'm stuck with it.

I understand your frustration, but this is literally a brand new product with a brand new sensor that maybe 1 other manufacturer has put in a dashcam. There is little support for it so they are basically starting from scratch when it comes to IQ.

There were a few videos provided by members that compared the IQ to the A119. No false claims have been made, you can see what quality to expect for your self based on the very FEW videos out there right now. There isn't even a review of the camera yet.

It seems like you just bought it based on hype and not actually seeing if the quality met your standards, or even better waiting for a proper review to make your purchase decision.

Blake, you do realize most of us expected at least the same quality as A119 with a better night censor? I'm truly hoping new firmware will fine tune the A119S capabilities.

Blake, you do realize most of us expected at least the same quality as A119 with a better night censor? I'm truly hoping new firmware will fine tune the A119S capabilities.

Im sure you all did, but you guys should know that after being on these forums. Never buy a camera when it first comes out or atleast wait for a review. (Mobius 2, jovuu x, 0903 etc) There are many that have initial expectations and end up falling short for whatever reason. Even Street guardian products had heat shift issues that had to be quickly re-designed. I am not sticking up for these companies but always wait for a review before deciding on a purchase if you aren't in this for a hobby. I picked up an A119s for my rear cam as i knew it wasn't quite up to par for front yet.
Hopefully they get there in a few months.

Yes, but if we don't buy how else will you know about its fallacies? lol :D and Yes, you are right.

Again I agree with what you're saying:) But just to let you know I am from Canada and to buy the A119S I paid a total of $170. plus Amazon delivery totaling $177. (Enjoy Gadgets) so I guess I expected more for that price. The A119 was only $120.
Ouch, i paid $89 on ebay after a $15.00 off coupon.

Ouch, i paid $89 on ebay after a $15.00 off coupon.
And wait till Trump puts a 35% import tax on China that's a major OUCH. Just for curiosity go on Amazon.ca and check out the prices on dash cams.

Reactions: Mtz
!!! This is a right price to pay! Not a $170....
Money exchange 30% plus HST tax 13% USA vs. Canadian prices. Its like we pay 43% more for same item. And our salaries are almost identical to USA. (Construction industry)

Please release a A119s firmware update to fix the bad quality of very foggy washed out daytime and very grainy blurry night time. I have compared the dod LS370w with the A119S day and night footage and the Dod seems to be much much better. The Dod is sharper better focus and colors are HD quality not washed out like the A119S. I am sure you also did your comparisons so please if your engineers have a fix please submit it. Also reading license plate is very is difficult with the A119S

I noticed that too. My video is way too pixelated and foggy. I expected little more for this new Viofo. Also left side of the picture is not as sharp than the middle. In day time every darker areas get foggy and pixelated. I have to test that camera outside the car and check is that left side blur still there. I think that A119 will do better job for reading licence plates. Also noticed that there is no ir-filter on lens. It sees my Dahua cams ir-lights ☺. Is it possible that camera uses VBR (variable bit rate)packing on video. That might causes blurrines areas that not move that much on video. CBR (constant bit rate) might resolve that if processor handle that?

Last edited:
I noticed that too. My video is way too pixelated and foggy. I expected little more for this new Viofo. Also left side of the picture is not as sharp than the middle. In day time every darker areas get foggy and pixelated. I have to test that camera outside the car and check is that left side blur still there. I think that A119 will do better job for reading licence plates. Also noticed that there is no ir-filter on lens. It sees my Dahua cams ir-lights ☺. Is it possible that camera uses VBR (variable bit rate)packing on video. That might causes blurrines areas that not move that much on video. CBR (constant bit rate) might resolve that if processor handle that?

There is most certainly an ir filter on the lens or daytime video would be purple and pink.

All cameras can see IR light even with a filter. Try your cell phone camera and see that it too can see ir lights.

A lot of the time the front camera on a mobile / cell phone doesn't have an IR filter so you can see IR from remote controls via that one :)

A lot of the time the front camera on a mobile / cell phone doesn't have an IR filter so you can see IR from remote controls via that one :)
Every camera i own can see IR light from remotes. All of them have ir filters.

Every camera i own can see IR light from remotes. All of them have ir filters.
I never tried it on my S6 before but yes the front and back cameras can both see IR - that's a good way I guess of making sure the batteries are working in my remotes :)

Firmware is everything.
That amazing SG9665gc you have took a VERY LONG time (over a year) to get the firmware right and they still are improving the firmware to this day.

This is a new image sensor, let them try to figure it out before condemning them.

It was closer to two years for the SG9665GC actually but I agree, give them a chance to perfect the camera.

Some Chinese manufacturers just dump a crappy camera on the market and move on. From all indications Viofo seems interested in at least trying to craft a quality product and they are responsive to customer input. I recall when they switched to a black 3M VHB tape for the mount on the A119 due to customer dissatisfaction with the original gray tape. They've responded to other concerns too. I vote for giving them time to sort out issues with their new offering.

It was closer to two years for the SG9665GC actually but I agree, give them a chance to perfect the camera.

Some Chinese manufacturers just dump a crappy camera on the market and move on. From all indications Viofo seems interested in at least trying to craft a quality product and they are responsive to customer input. I recall when they switched to a black 3M VHB tape for the mount on the A119 due to customer dissatisfaction with the original gray tape. They've responded to other concerns too. I vote for giving them time to sort out issues with their new offering.
Hope you're right but anyways I'm part of a captive audience now (past the 30 day return) Now I know what you felt when you were voicing your SG concerns.

There is most certainly an ir filter on the lens or daytime video would be purple and pink.

All cameras can see IR light even with a filter. Try your cell phone camera and see that it too can see ir lights.
That's true. This is way more sensitive for ir light than my other cameras (GoPro 4, DJI Phantom, Canon 70d). Ok there is some kind of ir-filter on it ☺.

Some Chinese manufacturers just dump a crappy camera on the market and move on.
agree
From all indications Viofo seems interested in at least trying to craft a quality product and they are responsive to customer input.
yeah, I noticed that too
it's a long and hard labor (to create a quality product, listen to customer feedback, respond to it and implement in production)

I see the efforts Viofo.
I wish Viofo team, perseverance in achieving goals!

hot pixels are normal and can be calibrated out

focus should be good across the lens, make sure the lens is clean
I am having the same issue with the a119s being blurry in the left, and am seeing other reports of this. Is it possible there is in fact an issue?

Trust me, it is removed ;)
I`ve tested camera indoors. Left side is more blurry than the right side. Optic is clear. I guess it`s hardware problem...View attachment 28344
I am having the same issue, where did you buy yours? I am beginning to think they have a larger issue than they think.

Back