VIOFO a119s FIRMWARE

It's not recognizing the firmware file. What is the full name of the file you transferred to the card? It should be FWA119S.bin.

It's also possible your having issues due to using a MAC. Do you have access to a PC to transfer the file over to your card?

It's also possible your having issues due to using a MAC. Do you have access to a PC to transfer the file over to your card?
For about 12 years I am using only MAC computers. The issue is not there.

For about 12 years I am using only MAC computers. The issue is not there.
There have been many cases where MAC users have had issues updating their cameras while using a MAC, so it’s entirely possible it could be as simple as that. MACs tend to leave hidden files on the card, causing issues for the camera.

I don't believe that. More probably they have problems working with a computer.
MAC computers works very clean, without hidden files.

l.e.
Mistakes are always made by users, not by computers.

Last edited:
If you format the card in the camera ( like the instruction said ) and add the .bin file on your MAC, you never find other hidden files.
This I mean when I said that will be no hidden files added by the MAC computer.

l.e.
Since I bought my camera I had tried a lot of FW, original and custom, without any issue.

Last edited:
It's not recognizing the firmware file. What is the full name of the file you transferred to the card? It should be FWA119S.bin.

My file name was not the original, I guess I downloaded it twice and the Mac automatically named it FWA119S-2.bin because it was the second copy of that .bin file on the computer. I fixed that issue and deleted all other version I had and reloaded the original .bin file. It seemed to start the update when I plugged it in to the USB wall charge because the red light of the "REC" button blinked slowly and then fast (did this twice) and then restarted itself and started to record automatically. I let it record for about 15 seconds since I saw that in a video somewhere, just to make sure it's recording just fine...But when I go to check the firmware version on the dash cam it still shows version 1.2 (A119S_170222_V1.2)

It seemed to delete the .bin file from the microSD card since it's not there when I plug it into the computer to check if I can see the 15 second video just fine. usually that's a sign that the update went through (the deletion of the .bin file, from what I've read).

Any other tips or things to try would be much appreciated. I can't believe this update has been so difficult for me, these things re usually easy.

There have been many cases where MAC users have had issues updating their cameras while using a MAC, so it’s entirely possible it could be as simple as that. MACs tend to leave hidden files on the card, causing issues for the camera.
If you format the card in the camera ( like the instruction said ) and add the .bin file on your MAC, you never find other hidden files.
This I mean when I said that will be no hidden files added by the MAC computer.

l.e.
Since I bought my camera I had tried a lot of FW, original and custom, without any issue.
I have a Windows laptop stashed away somewhere, I guess I'll give that a try later today.

What rely is saying is true, if I format on the camera and just use the MacBook to add the file there shouldn't be any extra files hidden in there...But I'll try the Windows laptop anyways just to eliminate that factor.

It sounds like you reloaded the same V1.2 firmware. I would re-download the V4.0 firmware from the Viofo site and try again.

It sounds like you reloaded the same V1.2 firmware. I would re-download the V4.0 firmware from the Viofo site and try again.
Finally got it to work, thanks for your patience and help.

I don't think I could have reloaded firmware version 1.2 since I never attempted to download it, but maybe it was some glitch or it just didn't take the 2 times I tried the update with the properly named file. Anyways, I just deleted all of the firmware files I had tried downloading today and re-downloaded the file from the VIOFO website. Except this time I clicked on the attachment on the VIOFO web page located towards the bottom of the page instead of the first link shown towards the top of the page. I don't think they're different files but just noting this is what I did in case that helps anyone in the future, doubt it will, but I didn't want to keep trying the same file over and over in case that was it.

Thanks, I am now on V4.0...now to re-do my settings since I reset all of those just in case since I saw it mentioned in a video.

Sounds like your card is the issue preventing you from updating. What card is it? Brand and model?

You can try formatting it using the sdformatter program to get the card back to factory specs. Format inside the camera after using the sdformatter program. If that doesn't work, you will need another card.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
I downloaded this program and tried to format the card that might be bad (Transcend Premium 300x 64GB microSD) but it doesn't allow me to format it because it seems to be stuck in read only (not sure if it's a micrSD adapter or card reader slot issue on my laptop). I've tried using 3 different microSD card adapters on the same computer and tried playing with the position of the 'lock' tab but still same issue, read only all the time. Also tried using my wife's Macbook to read the card but it also states read only.

I think I will see if there is a card reader laying around somewhere that I can connect via USB to my laptop and test it out that way, but does this sound like that microSD card is a goner? I thought that was a decent card to have for dash cams from what I read back in 2016/2017 when I purchased the card. It also looks like it stopped recording onto the card (probably when it became read only) back in December 2017, I had not removed the card from the dash cam since at least around then I'm assuming since I was never aware that it stopped recording videos onto the card.

For now I'm using the 32GB Transcend microSD card (I'll keep an eye on it daily and see that it's recording and locking videos for non-deletion just fine) but I'd rather use a 64GB or above card. Are there any 64GB or above microSD cards that anyone recommends that will not break the bank?

Thanks.

SanDisk Ultra A1 cards have been reliable in the VIOFO cams. Must be the A1 series though (it will say A1 on the card). Samsung EVO Select are also good. Both are good prices through Amazon. The camera can take up to 256GB.

SanDisk Ultra A1 cards have been reliable in the VIOFO cams. Must be the A1 series though (it will say A1 on the card). Samsung EVO Select are also good. Both are good prices through Amazon. The camera can take up to 256GB.
Thanks, I was searching the forums after I had posted and did see that you recommended this model in the past. I was looking at the Transcend High Endurance cards that are black and gold colored which have the MLC Nand flash but those are expensive. I think I might try out the SanDisk A1 model at those prices and just keep checking up on the data in the card monthly, even though people keep saying to stay away from SanDisk. If this brand craps out on me within a year then I guess I'll have to pony up the money for the cards advertised to be used in dash cams.

Now that I look back at my purchase history, looks like I purchased that Transcend microSD card back in October 2015 and I didn't install my dash cam until February 2017. It didn't last even a full year before it stopped writing data to the card, I guess I remembered wrong and didn't buy/research this card solely for the purpose of dash cam use.

Thanks, I was searching the forums after I had posted and did see that you recommended this model in the past. I was looking at the Transcend High Endurance cards that are black and gold colored which have the MLC Nand flash but those are expensive. I think I might try out the SanDisk A1 model at those prices and just keep checking up on the data in the card monthly, even though people keep saying to stay away from SanDisk. If this brand craps out on me within a year then I guess I'll have to pony up the money for the cards advertised to be used in dash cams.

Now that I look back at my purchase history, looks like I purchased that Transcend microSD card back in October 2015 and I didn't install my dash cam until February 2017. It didn't last even a full year before it stopped writing data to the card, I guess I remembered wrong and didn't buy/research this card solely for the purpose of dash cam use.
It's the older (non A1) SanDisk Ultra cards that should be avoided. The newer Ultra A1 series cards are good. I use the Ultra A1 256GB cards in both of my A129 DUO's.

I to am having issues attempting to update the firmware ! 5 times ... 4 different cards , simply just boots up and starts recording !!!
I have updated the firmware in the past with NO issues but this .... ridiculous !!!

Can we have some valid input from #viofo perhaps ??

I to am having issues attempting to update the firmware ! 5 times ... 4 different cards , simply just boots up and starts recording !!!
I have updated the firmware in the past with NO issues but this .... ridiculous !!!

Can we have some valid input from #viofo perhaps ??
What is the exact name of the file you are copying to the card? Include capitals and/or lowercase letters. What firmware are you on now?

FWA119S.bin / FWA119S(1).bin / FWA119S(2).bin / FWA119S(3).bin and so on ... tried everything current v2.6

FWA119S.bin / FWA119S(1).bin / FWA119S(2).bin / FWA119S(3).bin and so on ... tried everything current v2.6
What is the exact name of the file you are copying to the card? Include capitals and/or lowercase letters. What firmware are you on now?

Back