Expanding my Firmware Modifications to include A119S, A129DUO, A119, & A119PRO Dash Cams to enhance and improve image quality and function. You are invited to Post your comments, questions, ideas & footage below.
This post will be updated with all future MOD releases to keep everyone up to date.
Current Stable MODs --- Updated April 8, 2019
Download https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Current Beta MODs for Testing --- Updated - closed
Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.

How to load Modified Firmware: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com

NOTE: If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader is still functional.
To restore Dashcam, copy official A119S firmware file to microSD card then Power-On wait 1 minute.

Disclaimer: All BCHobbyist Modified Firmware is rigorously tested by DCTEAM Members under all conditions world wide. These MODs are not official VIOFO releases and considered Beta Firmware, I/we are not responsible for damage, loss, injury, or greatly improved image quality, use at your own risk.

Download A119S Modified Firmware > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html

Viofo A119S Dash Cam Review > https://viofo-a119s-dashcam-review.blogspot.com
Dashcam Buyer's Guide & Advice > https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/
Troubleshooting Guide for VIOFO A119S or A119 > https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/p/dash-cam-troubleshooting.html

NOTE: to all DCTEAM Beta Testers and Public using my MODs.
For maximum DVR stability once Modified Firmware is loaded = MENU > Default Setting > OK
DVR will restart, Logo will appear now = MENU > set Time Zone and user preferences.
DashCamTEAM is a group of dedicated, respectful and helpful Dash Cam owners.
We are not associated with DashCamTalk or any Vendor or Manufacturer.
Our Forum Profile identifies active Members.

Please report all issues, thank you for using DCTeam MODs.
Contact BCHobbyist by clicking DashCamTalk Avatar to start Private Conversation, or from BCHobbyist YouTube Channel, or Blog website.

Last edited:
I'm currently on the A119S FW2.6 with 27.5Mbit and Sharpness 20. Would you recommend any of your versions over this one in terms of picture quality? Are they more for file sizes?
The maximum BitRate for A119S = 28Mbps so using 27.5 stays just under max but could have issues with Parking Mode if memory card has slow write speed (under 45MB/s). My modified firmware now flashes both partition 1 & 2 just like the official versions. Partition 2 isn't used for any Menu settings. Suggest trying my 27Mbps then test Parking Mode, note differences in video clip file sizes, easy to Flash between them. Only other differences between modified 27.5 and all mine : I changed version number and changed Logo. Should have other Image Controls modifications soon, such as Contrast, Saturation, Brightness...

I think some people from here advertise A1 Ultra from Sandisk with no problem. This is why i bought it.
The firmware i use is suppose to have max. 27,5 bitrate but i inspected the files and all have more than 28. From 28,2 to 28,7. What's up with that?!

I think some people from here advertise A1 Ultra from Sandisk with no problem. This is why i bought it.
The firmware i use is suppose to have max. 27,5 bitrate but i inspected the files and all have more than 28. From 28,2 to 28,7. What's up with that?!
My policy is to avoid maxing out hardware limits to reduce stressing device, extending its lifespan. BitRates jump based on brightness and objects, a white wall results is lowest rate. @gse uses his A119S for over 4 months with maxed out bitrate 28Mbps. It has improved the image quality. I'm gathering feedback from owners using 20, 24, 27, 28 bitrates to see if 24Mbps is high enough for these dashcams. Pausing video during playback to see plates is much better at 24-27 than 15 or 20.

Maybe @gse can help me with this? Why the bitrate is so high when it's suppose to be 27.5 max.?
I think this is why parking mode doesn't work properly.

The maximum BitRate for A119S = 28Mbps so using 27.5 stays just under max but could have issues with Parking Mode if memory card has slow write speed (under 45MB/s). My modified firmware now flashes both partition 1 & 2 just like the official versions. Partition 2 isn't used for any Menu settings. Suggest trying my 27Mbps then test Parking Mode, note differences in video clip file sizes, easy to Flash between them. Only other differences between modified 27.5 and all mine : I changed version number and changed Logo. Should have other Image Controls modifications soon, such as Contrast, Saturation, Brightness...

Okay sounds good. I'll give your 27 and probably 24 a test run. I use 1080p@60fps. I like the quality 27.5 gives, 630MB for 3 minute clips, not so much though.

Would you recommend WDR on or off? I currently run it on.

Also, is there a reason why you have FW2.61 and FW1.01?

Maybe @gse can help me with this? Why the bitrate is so high when it's suppose to be 27.5 max.?
Download my 24 or 27Mbps modified firmware, it should work with parking mode, 28 or higher will cause errors in low power parking mode.

Okay sounds good. I'll give your 27 and probably 24 a test run. I use 1080p@60fps. I like the quality 27.5 gives, 630MB for 3 minute clips, not so much though.

Would you recommend WDR on or off? I currently run it on.

Also, is there a reason why you have FW2.61 and FW1.01?
The reason I'm modifying the A119S firmware is to have more Image Quality control. Currently all the important settings are locked by VIOFO. Using WDR does brighten dark scenes and darken very bright ones, BUT it does this using 2-3 frames from the 30fps so in fact introduces some motion blur on fast objects. I disable mine.
Usually the newest firmware version is the best but not always. Since the customer has almost no image control the only way to adjust Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, White Balance is to use older buggy/feature poor versions. The old FW1.01 used balanced Image Quality settings, unlike the higher levels in FW2.61, its a preference. The other reason is FW1.01 doesn't have Hot Pixel Mapping which also degrades image quality slightly, it also doesn't include Parking Mode, so those powering from socket adapter can load FW1.01 and compare the video quality.

Download my 24 or 27Mbps modified firmware, it should work with parking mode, 28 or higher will cause errors in low power parking mode.

I will try it later. Thank you!

All firmware uses a "variable" bitrate, perhaps this is a feature of the software, so on complex scenes it is automatically adjusted, it can rise to 52mbits / sec.
Where in the firmware to include bitrate "permanent" I do not know.

All firmware uses a "variable" bitrate, perhaps this is a feature of the software, so on complex scenes it is automatically adjusted, it can rise to 52mbits / sec.
Where in the firmware to include bitrate "permanent" I do not know.
hey @gse, remind me later, I did locate that variable bit rate section of code, its in plain ascii text. I'll track it down later once all the image controls settings are found. Variable Bit Rate (VBR) adjusts the rate up and down based on scene, lowers it on few objects in view. Constant Bit Rate (CBR) works well for static scenes but wastes data on simple scenes. I doubt any DVR will ever set a constant bitrate, however there may be a default I can set manually in firmware if its the same as my security camera.

Reactions: gse
doubt any DVR will ever set a constant bitrate, however there may be a default I can set manually in firmware if its the same as my security camera.

I have a dvr on an Ambarella processor, it supports a "constant" bitrate function, you can select the bitrate transition in the user menu.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install the modified FW. I've used BCH's FW installation tutorial video to install all past FW updates without a hitch. Every time I try to load this modified FW it doesn't take. Any clue as to what I might be doing wrong?

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install the modified FW. I've used BCH's FW installation tutorial video to install all past FW updates without a hitch. Every time I try to load this modified FW it doesn't take. Any clue as to what I might be doing wrong?

got the correct version, have you renamed it accordingly?

he names them nosharpfluffydice.bin whatever, you need to change the name back to the default firmware file name, make sure you have the correct version to suit your hardware version also, if you're a Linux user the file needs to be named .BIN instead of .bin

I'm on a MAC but this is the first time I recall any mention of renaming a file. I'm am by no means a computer savvy person. Can you tell me just what the name should be? Many thanks!

Back