Viofo A119S V2 or Street Guardian V3?

Supernaturalz

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Hello guys,

I am pretty much stuck with these 2 great cameras. What I am focusing on is:

1- The most important thing is reliability above everything else. I need a camera that lives for a long time with no problems like overheating, software, hardware, and etc... I dont want cameras that have defects and faults, shutting down frequently, not recording, and etc...

2- A camera that withstands heat and sun. I live in a place where it gets 35-50 Celsius and a hot sun pretty much everyday.

3- Best day/night quality and sharpness. I will be posting some YouTube videos.

What I am confused about is the quality. The A119s has 1080p 60fps. The SG has 1080p 30fps. I dont know which one has the best day/night performance.

Also I see LOTS of people get defective A119s units. I am very afraid that this will happen to me. When I return to my country, shipping is very costy. I will have to pay for everytime I ship, which is approximately 35$. So I prefer to get the camera from UK amazon free shipping and never send it back to them. Also, unfortunately dash cameras are rejected by my customs whenever they detect one coming. So If it gets spotted, they will send it back to the source. Money is not an issue since I will be using it alot for a long time. Also the price will get somewhat close when adding A119s cpl filter, so neglect the price. I wont be taking much advantage from the support due to lack of communication (because of restrictions).

faulty products can happen with any brand, at any price, the customs issue sounds like some extra risk, maybe better to get a friend that is visiting another country to bring one back for you from somewhere

faulty products can happen with any brand, at any price, the customs issue sounds like some extra risk, maybe better to get a friend that is visiting another country to bring one back for you from somewhere
Thank you for your fast reply. I ordered an A119 before, it arrived but rejected and resent back to source by customs. Luckily I it was from Amazon so I got a full refund from them. Anyways, I will be going to London for 2 weeks for vacation. This is the best time to buy the dash cam from there, amazon uk specifically. Thats why I need to get a product with a low chance of faults. If something happens to the camera, I will be getting a full refund from amazon, but shipping is on me. Also if I sent it back, there is no other way of getting another camera.

if they are going to have problems it's generally straight away, you should be able to test the functions etc before leaving in case there are issues, I think there were some teething problems early on for the A119S but they seem to mostly be resolved now

if they are going to have problems it's generally straight away, you should be able to test the functions etc before leaving in case there are issues, I think there were some teething problems early on for the A119S but they seem to mostly be resolved now

So what is the difference between having A119s 1080p 60 fps, or having SG 1080p 30fps .. ? Which has a better video quality .. ?

Also Which one do you recommend me to get, and why? Thanks alot jokiin

So what is the difference between having A119s 1080p 60 fps, or having SG 1080p 30fps .. ? Which has a better video quality .. ?

Also Which one do you recommend me to get, and why? Thanks alot jokiin

60fps will give nice smooth video during the day, 30fps will look better at night, even if you put them side by side you'd find situations where one will outdo the other and vise versa, unfortunately it's not as cut and dried as this one is best because...

Hi

I have the A119s and am happy with it ... only if $ isn't a problem, I would definitely go with jokiin's Street Guardian ... as it appears to me on this forum, not that I have been around for that long ... that there are fewer issues with the SG Dash Cam compared to the Viofo A119s where they seem to be still sorting out the flaws with the design.

jokiin has also recently improved the heat issue with the casing ... but he can explain the detail if required .. as heat is definitely an issue over your way.
I'd be looking at further precautions to protect the Camera ... eg remove it from direct sunlight when leaving the Car ... You can always ask for advice around here.

As an option - perhaps you could purchase one soon after arrival in the UK ... and after explaining your situation, ask the seller to take it out of the box and put it through a quick test to make sure it powers up and records .. GPS works and no issues with micro SD card or video quality on playback. Either that ... or you give it a run during your stay ... giving you a brief time to return it if you come across any problems.
I'd prefer the Seller to check it out .. as they know what to look for.

At least doing this ... it would eliminate the basic problems that sometimes occur out of the box.

ps. jokiin being the manufacturer of the Street Guardian ... he does not plug his own product over other brands in this forum ... so others are better positioned to assist with which is the better choice.

Last edited:
Very happy with my A119s too but need to put some time on it. As mentioned, SG support here is top notch. VIOFO is good too - best to buy from a recommended vendor (OCD Tronic in my case).

Hi

I have the A119s and am happy with it ... only if $ isn't a problem, I would definitely go with jokiin's Street Guardian ... as it appears to me on this forum, not that I have been around for that long ... that there are fewer issues with the SG Dash Cam compared to the Viofo A119s where they seem to be still sorting out the flaws with the design.

jokiin has also recently improved the heat issue with the casing ... but he can explain the detail if required .. as heat is definitely an issue over your way.
I'd be looking at further precautions to protect the Camera ... eg remove it from direct sunlight when leaving the Car ... You can always ask for advice around here.

As an option - perhaps you could purchase one soon after arrival in the UK ... and after explaining your situation, ask the seller to take it out of the box and put it through a quick test to make sure it powers up and records .. GPS works and no issues with micro SD card or video quality on playback. Either that ... or you give it a run during your stay ... giving you a brief time to return it if you come across any problems.
I'd prefer the Seller to check it out .. as they know what to look for.

At least doing this ... it would eliminate the basic problems that sometimes occur out of the box.

ps. jokiin being the manufacturer of the Street Guardian ... he does not plug his own product over other brands in this forum ... so others are better positioned to assist with which is the better choice.

Well I pushed myself when I saw lots of people praise the SG (althought it is alot of $ for me), but if the SG is worth every penny with the factors I need better than the A199s(espeecially reliability), I would definately push and get it because it is a one time deal. I will definately take precautions like getting the camera with me when I get home with the quick eject.

I just cant see any difference with the quality between both cameras. I slightly see that in 1080p, the A119s is a bit sharper and better, Dont know really since I cant judge 100%. I just want people to confirm which is the better quality and is the 30fps difference really make a huge difference between both cameras?

Very happy with my A119s too but need to put some time on it. As mentioned, SG support here is top notch. VIOFO is good too - best to buy from a recommended vendor (OCD Tronic in my case).
I got it from OCD Tronic to my country, but the customs rejecteed it. Thats why I have to get it from UK by my self.

You probably could have asked them to label it differently to avoid problems
I didn't know this unfortunately, I could have done it to avoid any problem. So I just first want help from you guys in choosing which camera best for me in terms of the factors I included. After that I can arrange the possible ways of getting it.

I now have my new A119S V2 set at 1280 x 720 @ 60fps

60 brings it a tad closer and clearer than 30 and HD seems superfluous

Maybe one of the retailer could make a personal check of the camera, that it's 100% working condition when shipped to a UK address. That would not be possible if it shipped from Amazon.
As jokiin mentions there is never 100% guaranty, but you will have a good startup.

Maybe one of the retailer could make a personal check of the camera, that it's 100% working condition when shipped to a UK address. That would not be possible if it shipped from Amazon.
As jokiin mentions there is never 100% guaranty, but you will have a good startup.
Well I think ill get the A119s with cpl, and try it initially as startup and stuff. however, I can not try it on an actual car until I return back to my country. If I detect anything before I return, I can return it back with no hassle. Do you think that this is an efficient way to at least make sure it is fine?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well I think ill get the A119s with cpl, and try it initially as startup and stuff. however, I can not try it on an actual car until I return back to my country. If I detect anything before I return, I can return it back with no hassle. Do you think that this is an efficient way to at least make sure it is fine?

Amazon has a 30 day return policy

Amazon has a 30 day return policy
I know but if I just scramble with it and check it without actually putting it on a car l, is it enough? or can there be a possibility also of blurriness or lens fault that cannot be checked until using the camera?

Stick the cam temporarily in a friend's car for a day which should show any major problems. Electronics generally fail very quickly or endure as expected- rare are any failures in mid-life. Focus and sensor problems are similar, usually evident from the beginning while the warranty is active.

I own neither of these cams but I'd feel totally safe with either once it had performed correctly for a few days. IMHO the SG is better in build quality and reliability, but the A119S has a slight advantage at night and is cheaper to buy. Any mass-produced product will leave a small percentage of defective products reaching the consumer and nobody is immune to that so what is most important here is that you give whichever cam you buy a test run in a car before your trip.

Phil

If you got a small 5 volt "battery pack", you can check it out, remember a micro sd card. 64gb is a nice size and not to expensive. I'm using PNY elite and a samsung pro + Take it on a walk or put it in a window.
Use a pc, mac, droid with usb reader (flash card reader) and check the quality of the video. Use VLC player. It's free and always working.
Registrator viewer is a nice free tools for PC, you can search it here in the forum.

Back