Viofo A119S videos

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad (the best dashcam in the world!)
Today (12.11.2016) I have a factory sample of A1189S with a beta firmware. In this thread I will post some videos recorded with A119S and some comparisons. I think the most wanted comparison is with A119, but also with A118C and A118C2.

Please watch the videos on YouTube because at video description you can find useful links. Also you can subscribe to my channel because more factory samples videos will follow.

Anybody who consider having interesting recordings can post in this thread, please.
But comparisons are better with snapshots and to be posted at the comparison forum area.

Night video:

Day video:

Comparisons:

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Last edited:
Samples from the 'S' look good. :)

Last edited:
Wow! Huge difference at night between the S and the regular 119.

Thanks for uploading some sample. Looking good.:)

I agree that 119S (or any other Sony sensor) camera is brighter. However brighter doesn't mean more details. In my testing, SGGC was marginally brighter but A119 had definitely more detail given higher resolution.

So it's that much closer to release? Finalize some f/w and a few minor things?

@viofo Does anyone know if the A119 GPS module will it be able to have the A119S use it.

@viofo Does anyone know if the A119 GPS module will it be able to have the A119S use it.
I don't think is the same. If you will look at GPS coordinates and actual speed there are some differences in the video comparison videos.
But the surprise was for me because of the lens angle because right now on viofo.com the angle of A119S is declared as 135 degrees and from videos are almost the same angle even the lens is different from A119.

enjoy,
Mtz

I had the feeling that the GPS from A119S needs more time to find the satellites and also updating the dates. For example in attached pictures I knew my speed was 90Km/h and not 85Km/h or at least more close to 90 instead of 85 because I kept the car running at 90Km/h for 15-25 seconds.

A119-GPS-speed.jpg A119-GPS-speed.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• A119S-GPS-speed.jpg
    A119S-GPS-speed.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 43
...But the surprise was for me because of the lens angle because right now on viofo.com the angle of A119S is declared as 135 degrees and from videos are almost the same angle even the lens is different from A119.
That is partly because the Sony sensor is bigger than the OV sensor (6.46 mm diagonal | 6.25 mm diagonal) so with the same lens it would see a wider image and gather more light. I hope it's view is a bit narrower though, because with less resolution it will be harder to read the plates unless it is narrower?

Good to see a nice sharp image with little motion blur at night :)

I had the feeling that the GPS from A119S needs more time to find the satellites and also updating the dates...
Hope you haven't put the cameras too close together so they can cause interference on each others GPS signal?

The cameras are very close because I want to obtain almost the same angle for better comparing the images. I know is some risk to get GPS interference but if them will not affect the video quality, right now the GPS is not important. People should know that GPS or speed can not be used in court as proof so because of this I don't consider important for me.

Good to see a nice sharp image with little motion blur at night
At second post you have original videos. Both A119 cameras recorded the videos at 60FPS and we expect for night recordings the FPS to be reduced at 30FPS or to appear duplicate frames just to keep the image bright.
For A119 I counted 1 duplicate (D) frame for 4 consecutive frames and only frame 5 to frame 6 to be unique frames (U), the pattern like this
UDUDUDUDUUD...
For A119S I counted 1 duplicate (D) frame just from frame 5 to frame 6, the pattern like this
UUUUUDU...

enjoy,
Mtz

The cameras are very close because I want to obtain almost the same angle for better comparing the images. I know is some risk to get GPS interference but if them will not affect the video quality, right now the GPS is not important. People should know that GPS or speed can not be used in court as proof so because of this I don't consider important for me.

At second post you have original videos. Both A119 cameras recorded the videos at 60FPS and we expect for night recordings the FPS to be reduced at 30FPS or to appear duplicate frames just to keep the image bright.
For A119 I counted 1 duplicate (D) frame for 4 consecutive frames and only frame 5 to frame 6 to be unique frames (U), the pattern like this
UDUDUDUDUUD...
For A119S I counted 1 duplicate (D) frame just from frame 5 to frame 6, the pattern like this
UUUUUDU...

enjoy,
Mtz

I noticed that on the techmoan a119 samples and jokiin said it was old firmware https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...neat-capable-capacitor-cam.22272/#post-293175

If you set 60fps surely it should limit to 1/60 exposure time? It would be nice to have options to limit exposure time to combat motion blur at night, especially if you cant do it by changing the framerate

Last edited:
Hope you haven't put the cameras too close together so they can cause interference on each others GPS signal?

There is no the "camera's GPS signal". Actually GPS receiver is completely passive.
GPS signal is broadcasted by satellites. A GPS chip receives signals from all visible satellites and calculates own position using time difference between timestamps decoded from the signal.

Speaking about A119S, thank you for comparison videos. It's clear that night videos are brighter, light glares are smaller and less obstructive and in overall A119S footage "feels better".
It might be subjective but colour of overall scene recorder by A119S seems more realistic to me (regular A119 still has a lot of yellow tint).
On the other hand videos of A119S seems to be a bit over-sharpened. It results of a bit worse readability of plates comparing to A119.

Last edited:
Back