VIOFO A129 Duo (Pre-production sample)

How difficult was it to run the cable through the weather proof tunnel in the hatch? I cannot figure out how to get the wire up through there
If it is going at the top of the hatch then there is really no need to follow the car wiring, just go from the headliner with a bit of a loop that can open up to allow the hatch to open, or go diagonally so that the cable just twists slightly as the hatch opens.

I followed the car wiring. Used a coat hanger as a guide wire to pull through as it is tight. Much better than the over the molding route I had before.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

How difficult was it to run the cable through the weather proof tunnel in the hatch? I cannot figure out how to get the wire up through there

can be a bit of work but worth the effort to do it properly, no chance of snagging a cable either

Wasn't too bad. With the hatch open, I popped the rubber waterproof wiring harness loom (not sure what its actually called) out and dropped the rear of the headliner with a couple clips. With the headliner down you can put the cable through the hole.

I then finagled the cable through the wiring loom thing. The cable being as thick as it is made it a bit more difficult but it only took a minute or so. Combination of trying to push the cable up while trying to pull the loom down and grabbing the end of the cable to push up.

Also had to remove the trim piece on the hatch to get the cable through.

How are the files stored on the SD card in dual camera mode? Are the files named the same but with front/back designation?

Yes - 000001F and 000001R

Just got my unit delivered. Will install it tomorrow. Sweet.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Two and a half months later, it's back.

Untitled.png

1 - 1.png

1 - 2.png

Plugged it in just for the heck of it. It's working!

1 - 3.png

Could a power bank have tripped the capacitors or some other component? What could've gone wrong that got corrected by just leaving it off?

Nevertheless, good to see the unit up and running. :)

Opening post edited.

Last edited:
Did you try pressing the reset button?

Possibly it just crashed, and then the capacitors stopped it from resetting for the next month, once it ran out of capacitor power it reset by itself...

Yes, multiple times. Came on once after lying idle overnight but as soon as I unplugged and plugged the power cable back, it stopped responding like before. Didn't fiddle around anymore and checked a day later but the camera had stopped sensing power.

Didn't understand what you mean by capacitors stopped it from resetting for the next month?

Yes, multiple times. Came on once after lying idle overnight but as soon as I unplugged and plugged the power cable back, it stopped responding like before. Didn't fiddle around anymore and checked a day later but the camera had stopped sensing power.

Didn't understand what you mean by capacitors stopped it from resetting for the next month?
The capacitors will provide power which will stop the processor resetting, until they are empty. I don't know how long they last, but it is long enough to keep the clock alive and running for many days.

I don't know what the reset button does, possibly it doesn't reset everything and it needed to run out of power.

Normally when there's a firmware crash with a Novatek based camera, the camera doesn't stop responding entirely like it happened here. What could be the underlying cause or what actually tripped something for such behaviour to occur?

Normally when there's a firmware crash with a Novatek based camera, the camera doesn't stop responding entirely like it happened here. What could be the underlying cause or what actually tripped something for such behaviour to occur?
I have had to remove the battery from Novatek based cameras before, however they have been ones without a reset button, I would expect the reset button to do the same as removing the battery/capacitors.

No idea what caused it, and since this is the only report of it happening there is not much evidence to help us work it out.
If you start using it again, maybe we will find out...

I'll be trying out the 5MP 8mm and 12mm lenses with this unit, waiting for the extension tubes.

Ok there's definitely something wrong with this unit. Should've checked it for a few days before getting all excited and posting an update.

Worked fine yesterday. Brought it in today to switch the rear camera's lens and it's acting up again. Not dead like before but keeps turning off on its own. Longer it's left unpowered, longer it stays on after receiving power. By the time I made the video below, not staying on even for 5 seconds.

My hunch says all this was/is due to a faulty capacitor.

@viofo Thoughts?

Last edited:
Have you upgrade to the latest version?
The early sample version doesn't support ACC detection, if use latest FW, will have this issue.

Have you upgrade to the latest version?
The early sample version doesn't support ACC detection, if use latest FW, will have this issue.

Yes, it's on 1.2.

@viofo

So this unit can be used only with version 1.0? That makes no sense.

it would make sense if there is a hardware difference in the pre production sample, suspect that is what was meant

Was thinking of changing the capacitors as it appears to be a power related issue. Your thoughts?

Was thinking of changing the capacitors as it appears to be a power related issue. Your thoughts?

your random power off issue is likely to do with the swollen caps, there may be a hardware limitation that will mean your sample won't work with the 3 wire hardwire kit so you may be limited as to what functionality you get and what firmware you can run, I think it's worth replacing the caps regardless though as it would still be an otherwise serviceable product, shame to not use it for the sake of a few dollars worth of parts

Back