VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Increasing the bitrate does not increase noise AFAIK. The benefit of a higher bitrate is that the DSP applies less compression to the video, so you get better tonal gradation and finer detail reproduction.

Increasing the bitrate does not increase noise AFAIK. The benefit of a higher bitrate is that the DSP applies less compression to the video, so you get better tonal gradation and finer detail reproduction.

And a larger file size of course. But will said bitrate increase have any legitimate affect on night time resolution? Either Negatively or Positively?. Or will it not t make much a difference if video from Stock Bitrate or Increased bitrate are compared side to side under exact conditions. I.E. Both videos will look identical with no noticeable improvements. Or will the Modified Firmware with less compression look sharper in the same conditions?

What else causes a pc instability from overclocking issues if not heat?

Increase processor speed too high = Heat issue unless proper cooling solutions are put into place to disperse added heat.
Change Ram Timings = Ram won't run stable unless the heatsinks on the ram can properly disperse the temperature increases.

so a watercooled computer can be overclocked to whatever you like and it will remain stable?

Without going back and forth. The question remains and no one has yet provided a well informed answer. Will increasing the camera's bitrate lead to a level of heat that will cause components to fail prematurely? Either due to Hot Summer + Increased Component Temperatures = Dead Camera or Components working outside spec causing a shorter shelf life.
you could crank the bitrate up to a point where the heat generated was in excess of what the components can reliably handle, ambient temps could bring that on sooner, what that level is though is not something which has a standard answer, Novatek set the default bitrate at 12mbit per channel is their standard, there's nothing to indicate what level you may go beyond that, there's a lot more to image quality than just increasing bitrate though

Night video typically has large areas of the recorded scene in near-darkness, including the sky, so it's usually much less affected by bitrate than, say, driving in bright sunshine along a tree-lined road with lots of detail and high contrast to encode.

If you can wait 'til Wednesday I'll try to record some low and high bitrate night scenes with the A129. I'm curious to see the results myself. I've always gone for the highest bitrate available so I haven't actually made a direct comparison.

so a watercooled computer can be overclocked to whatever you like and it will remain stable?
Time for a watercooled dashcam, the car already has a radiator, water pump etc, just needs a bit of 4mm silicone hose to connect the camera into the car's cooling system, should run up the A-pillar no problem. :)

Time for a watercooled dashcam, the car already has a radiator, water pump etc, just needs a bit of 4mm silicone hose to connect the camera into the car's cooling system, should run up the A-pillar no problem. :)

now you're talking :P

Better patent that before someone takes the idea and runs with it :geek: Hey, did Jokiin just show up? Better hurry Nigel, I think I hear Hiniko coming! :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Of course there's a ceiling. However, I've seen processors overclocked by 60% with customs cooling solutions on youtube. But in practice, commercial heatsinks can only dissipate so much heat.

you could crank the bitrate up to a point where the heat generated was in excess of what the components can reliably handle, ambient temps could bring that on sooner, what that level is though is not something which has a standard answer, Novatek set the default bitrate at 12mbit per channel is their standard, there's nothing to indicate what level you may go beyond that, there's a lot more to image quality than just increasing bitrate though

So now we are finally on the same page and agree. And this is why we need someone who is in a hot climate to verify the threshold. Taking the 6UK Firmware of 26mbit Front / 18mbit Rear Camera as my example.

Front 16mbit ---> 26 = 62-63% overclock
Rear 16mbit --->18 = 13% overclock

These settings may function without flaw in 0C (32F)...But then comes a 30C (86F) day and all goes to hell. What was stable at cool ambient temperatures now crashes....So it'd be great if anyone in Australia, South America, etc would bite the bullet and let us know.

Agreed, a cheap lens won't become quality by upping bitrate. However, I believe the Viofo and StreetGuardian use similar quality hardware:

Exmore R vs Starvis (Same?)

A129 Duo:

– Novatek NT96663 processor

Front Camera:
– Max. resolution: 1920×1080 @ 30fps
– Bit rate: 16.5 Mbps
– Size: 84mm x 55mm x 40mm
– Sony STARVIS IMX291 sensor
– Angle of view: 140° diagonal

Rear camera:
– Max. resolution: 1920×1080 @ 30fps
– Bit rate: 16.5 Mbps
– Size: 53mm x 31mm x 50mm
– Sony STARVIS IMX291 sensor
– Angle of view: 140° diagonal

Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO

NOVATEK 96663 Processor

SONY EXMOR R CMOS Sensor (Front Camera)

SONY EXMOR R CMOS Sensor (Rear Camera)

Last edited:
there's no overclock, running a higher bitrate does not change the processor clock speed

if you want to test load the update firmware and put your camera in the oven, it's not a lot different to how they are lab tested anyway

there's no overclock, running a higher bitrate does not change the processor clock speed

if you want to test load the update firmware and put your camera in the oven, it's not a lot different to how they are lab tested anyway

Fine we'll change verbiage. Not overclock but Increase OF X percent... Thus generating more heat.

No thanks on sticking camera in oven! I'd just like some data points to know whether loading the firmware runs camera within safe parameters or not.

Will increasing the camera's bitrate lead to a level of heat that will cause components to fail prematurely?

I believe no one who tested these MODs had a camera failure because of this. I guess only a correctly set up scientific test can tell, for example, a owner of two identical A129 - one with MODed firmware and the other on stock, puts them to the test and measure their temperatures.

@BCHobbyist has this disclaimer on the first page of this modified firmware thread :
Disclaimer: All BCHobbyist Modified Firmware is rigorously tested by DCTEAM Members under all conditions world wide. These MODs are not official VIOFO releases and considered Beta Firmware, I/we are not responsible for damage, loss, injury, or greatly improved image quality, use at your own risk.

However, if Viofo are going to adopt bitrate options up to 26Mbps in their next official firmware, then I see that as less risk being taken by the user and certainly should not void any warranty.

I think that the A129 will work just fine at 12+12Mbps or 22+22Mbps for normal driving. If you're going to leave the camera recording in a parked car on a hot day then it may overheat with either 12+12 or 22+22. Common sense should always be used.

VIOFO A129 Firmware Requests for next official 1.60 version hopefully March 2019

Bitrate changed from Normal / High ==> Normal 20Mb/s + Medium 24Mb/s + High 26Mb/s (use same levels on 1080P 60fps and 30fps)
Sharpness changed from Strong / Normal / Soft ==> Stronger 5 + Strong 4 + Normal 3 + Soft 2 + Softer 1
Change BootDelay default from Off ==> 5 seconds
Add Color Saturation option ==> Neutral + More + Vivid
Add Beep Volume ==> Low + Medium + High
Add Front Camera Mirror ==> On / Off
Add Bluetooth ==> On / Off
Yes! Thanks for the notice.

@BCHobbyist has this disclaimer on the first page of this modified firmware thread :

However, if Viofo are going to adopt bitrate options up to 26Mbps in their next official firmware, then I see that as less risk being taken by the user and certainly should not void any warranty.

I think that the A129 will work just fine at 12+12Mbps or 22+22Mbps for normal driving. If you're going to leave the camera recording in a parked car on a hot day then it may overheat with either 12+12 or 22+22. Common sense should always be used.

Exactly. Use at your own risk..... Would Viofo ever know I modded my camera and was running 26/18? Doubtful. If the damn thing dies, it's under warranty for a year. Chances are they'd send me another unit.

Do I want the headache of replacing Camera again or the off chance my warranty is denied? Not really. Would I like better picture quality in the front Camera? Very much.

I really hope Viofo adopts a 26mbit bitrate option. Are you stating this as speculation? Or have they mentioned doing so?

Note: I run my camera 24/7. Hardwired to Fuse Box. Screensaver set to 3 minutes and recording set to low bitrate in parking mode. So that's why I raised issue about testing....

Good night, as you can see I'm Brazilian and I came here to thank you immensely for the feedback on this camera and it was thanks to your work that I bought it, I got it at banggood in real BRL it leaves for min for 790.00 but was a great value seen the cost / benefit of this equipment and I am also even more satisfied with the work of your mod which was something very surprising know, look I understand little of cameras in some aspects and I want you to know that you did a great job and I will recommend to my friends.
Welcome to the Forum and my Modified Firmware thread.
Thanks for your comments, good to hear the A129 fits your needs and working well for you. I would be very interested to know how you discovered my MODs and found BCHobbyist.
Check back in the thread in a few days, few more surprises and changes about to happen in my A129 + A119S + A119 Pro + A119 + GitUp G3 threads including a useful MOD video.

Spoiler
About to post my A129 Duo 30Mb/s test footage recorded in snowy winter temperatures (not recommended for summer), just need another sunny day for the opening clip.

Need brave A129 Beta Tester for Color Saturation MOD testing. The current v1.50 Neutral color desperately needs a boost and the weather here is too cloudy for accurate testing.

One major point all your heat related posts are ignoring is very commonly skipped, higher density microSD cards actually get hotter adding to the overheating problem associated with running higher Bitrates and the main reason i've always used 30fps and smaller 64GB memory cards, 128GB cards get hotter, just eject one from dashcam and see for yourself. An interesting comparison is if 128 GB TLC 3x NAND chip cards get hotter (probably) than expensive 128 GB MLC 2x NAND chip cards.

Last edited:
Need brave A129 Beta Tester for Color Saturation MOD testing. The current v1.50 Neutral color desperately needs a boost and the weather here is too cloudy for accurate testing.
What do you require from a 'brave' tester?

Back