VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

@BCHobbyist

Where can I find your DIY videos?

Also, it's summer here in our country and after a couple of hours under the sun while in low bitrate parking mode, I measured the temp of the A129 front camera casing with an IR thermometer and I got a whopping 79 C result! For US people, that's around 174 F! What's the max temp limit of these cameras?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@BCHobbyist

Where can I find your DIY videos?

Also, it's summer here in our country and after a couple of hours under the sun while in low bitrate parking mode, I measured the temp of the A129 front camera casing with an IR thermometer and I got a whopping 79 C result! For US people, that's around 174 F! What's the max temp limit of these cameras?

The A129 has thermal shutdown sensor on the circuit board which should turn off power at 80-85C. The supercapacitors are only rated for 75C MAX before their lifespan decreases at faster rate.
Running Parking Mode in extreme heat with windows closed is NOT recommended. Driving with windows open or air conditioning on in extreme temperatures won't damage A129 Dashcam.

Currently working on 4 DIY videos, will post to my channel and in this thread when finished.

Replaced the microphone!
On the table everything is OK !! :)

Attachments

• 2М.jpg
    2М.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Г.jpg
    Г.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
The A129 has thermal shutdown sensor on the circuit board which should turn off power at 80-85C. The supercapacitors are only rated for 75C MAX before their lifespan decreases at faster rate.
Running Parking Mode in extreme heat with windows closed is NOT recommended. Driving with windows open or air conditioning on in extreme temperatures won't damage A129 Dashcam.

Currently working on 4 DIY videos, will post to my channel and in this thread when finished.
It would be very nice if there's a built-in thermometer (thermistor or anything equivalent) and a feature to turn off parking mode automatically when a certain temp is reached. But I guess that's too much of an asking.

Hello,

Here are some recordings using MOD-5Up - Front 25 Mbps Rear 19 Mbps = Better Detail = Medium MP4 size

The over-sharpening thing it's killing me, can we make it much lower, like 0 sharpening?

Front - With CPL Filter
Rear - I don't know the reason but in the rear is not over-sharpening and the image is more clear - ( I have windows tint btw, 95% black)

Playlist with more videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSqyam-ply0GuIUjlAq7I8axNcJ3kkpge

Hello,

Here are some recordings using MOD-5Up - Front 25 Mbps Rear 19 Mbps = Better Detail = Medium MP4 size

The over-sharpening thing it's killing me, can we make it much lower, like 0 sharpening?

Front - With CPL Filter
Rear - I don't know the reason but in the rear is not over-sharpening and the image is more clear - ( I have windows tint btw, 95% black)

Playlist with more videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSqyam-ply0GuIUjlAq7I8axNcJ3kkpge
Well your front cam is shaking a lot at stop lights (engine mounts?) and perhaps that is causing the sensor to try to compensate continually? Your rear cam is not doing this. Mine is similar I think perhaps even more sharp. EDIT: After looking at your playlist I think it is about the same as mine on the front, I don't have a CPL yet though.

Well your front cam is shaking a lot at stop lights (engine mounts?) and perhaps that is causing the sensor to try to compensate continually? Your rear cam is not doing this. Mine is similar I think perhaps even more sharp. EDIT: After looking at your playlist I think it is about the same as mine on the front, I don't have a CPL yet though.
I've never seen roads tilted to the side by that much before, how come everybody doesn't slide off? Maybe you get used to it after a while, and I'm just not used to it because all our roads are built level?

I've never seen roads tilted to the side by that much before, how come everybody doesn't slide off? Maybe you get used to it after a while, and I'm just not used to it because all our roads are built level?
LOL no they are level but my cam is tilted since my edge sport has a headlight/collision camera behind the rear view mirrior and if it's straight it takes up all of the left side of the video, you can see in the video the black angled thing on the left.

20190403_103816.jpg20190331_231403.jpg

Hello,

Front - With CPL Filter

The A129 Menu settings doesn't yet include the Sharpness option Strong/Normal/Soft, until then suggest Loading one of my slightly adjusted Sharpness MODs, this is why I create so many versions.
I'd expect MOD-4Uk or 6Uk will reduce the Sharpness to an acceptable level for your Lens focus.
Creating the missing 5Uk 25 Mbps version now will add to website links.

It would be very nice if there's a built-in thermometer (thermistor or anything equivalent) and a feature to turn off parking mode automatically when a certain temp is reached. But I guess that's too much of an asking.

The Novatek Firmware does have a hidden Shutdown Temperature setting. This would be useful for drivers in hot regions to control the cutoff and protect the camera from damage.
This is the option as shown in my MiniQ9 video at 4:44 timeline
MiniQ9 Menu Settings >

Hello,

The shaking is from bass, I have a subwoofer and I like to listen to music loud, anyway the last Prestigio camera shook more.

I've flashed the MOD-9Up - Front 29 Mbps Rear 15 Mbps = Max Detail = Huge MP4 size, which is very good at night, it has a lot of grain but that's because of low-light which is totally no issue for me, that's mean in the day will be better and no over-sharpening (need to test tomorrow)

Front - With CPL Filter

Rear - windows tint btw, 95% black

Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSqyam-ply0EgL5jEtRFl_cFTNGWQLE1X

Hello,

The shaking is from bass, I have a subwoofer and I like to listen to music loud, anyway the last Prestigio camera shook more.

I've flashed the MOD-9Up - Front 29 Mbps Rear 15 Mbps = Max Detail = Huge MP4 size, which is very good at night, it has a lot of grain but that's because of low-light which is totally no issue for me, that's mean in the day will be better and no over-sharpening (need to test tomorrow)

Front - With CPL Filter

Rear - windows tint btw, 95% black

Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSqyam-ply0EgL5jEtRFl_cFTNGWQLE1X
Ah, didn't have sound on during the last videos. That night footage does look good.

It doesn't work with my microphone as soon as I switch to the Wifi, listens.
I returned the Viofo and everything is ok.
I put it aside, checked it in all modes, everything is fine.
Mystic!!! :mad:

By the way, I watched all the firmware, the code for the sharpness is not changing there, so there is sharpes .
I have changed and everything is ok.
I will break up the tables and lay out my firmware.
Bitrate 36 on the first, second bude 15 (I don’t know for sure), 48 kHz sound
In your video, when in the shadows, the distant plot fills with white, I call the effect of the tunel.
It should not be so, change the angle of the lens.

Attachments

• Vio.jpg
    Vio.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: gse
The Lens angle is very important as @vvs49 indicates. Everyone has different scene brightness preferences, I always lean towards Realistic to avoid blown out sky but for accident evidence the Balanced position is better. The ideal position is shown in @vvs49 video above. The camera position, windshield and hood angles all determine how much hood is visible. Use the Lens angle as Brightness control.

45694 45697 45696

That video shows it really well ill have to experiment with mine when the CPL comes for sure.

Hi @BCHobbyist,
I have a small problem with the app, when I uploaded 7up MOD to my a129 everything works fine, picture quality is much better at 27Mbps, but when I connected to the app (Galaxy S7 android 8) it shows little bit different parameters, for example in parking mode it shows fps options to choose only, no auto event detection nor low bitrate recording options. When I connected again it was even no parking mode option to choose from the main menu. When I changed boot delay to 5s, camera menu shows 0s, when I changed boot delay to 10s, camera menu shows 5s. I checked in camera menu and everything looks fine, I see all options normally. Anyone had something like this? Not a big problem, I can use camera menu instead of app but I'm interested why this happened. Maybe I'll try different MOD and check again.

Last edited:
Back