VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Created new A129 - STABLE MOD versions 0Uq , 1Uq , 9Uq , 8Uq , 7Uq , 6Uq , 5Uq , 4Uq , 2Uq , PKq
DOWNLOAD >
https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html
The Uq series MODs are designed for superior Sharpness by eliminating halo outlines around objects caused by over sharpened official firmware. Parking Mode supported version (non-buffered) using default Viofo bitrates with enhanced Sharpness is now available. View the ChangeLog page for full details.
Requesting Test Footage specifically for new Sharpness value, early tests suggest reducing official Sharp 64 to 32 for greater effect. Post your observations on the difference. ( @vvs49 can you test this MOD, thanks)
Created higher Bitrates for the adventurous 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 33, 35 Mb/s. Recommend 24 Mb/s for reduced file size or 26 Mb/s for improved image quality.
Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.

---
A129 Duo Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com/
MOD Install Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/
Dashcam Advice: https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/

DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist/videos

Last edited:
Hi @BCHobbyist,
I have a small problem with the app, when I uploaded 7up MOD to my a129 everything works fine, picture quality is much better at 27Mbps, but when I connected to the app (Galaxy S7 android 8) it shows little bit different parameters, for example in parking mode it shows fps options to choose only, no auto event detection nor low bitrate recording options. When I connected again it was even no parking mode option to choose from the main menu. When I changed boot delay to 5s, camera menu shows 0s, when I changed boot delay to 10s, camera menu shows 5s. I checked in camera menu and everything looks fine, I see all options normally. Anyone had something like this? Not a big problem, I can use camera menu instead of app but I'm interested why this happened. Maybe I'll try different MOD and check again.
I'll compare behavior with 7Up and official FW. I doubt the MOD is the cause, but it does affect Parking Mode.

one more thing @BCHobbyist are you planning to make a MOD with time lapse parking mode working with all the changes you made (bitrate, sharpness, brightness, colors etc) ?
I didn't check it yet because I'm using low bitrate recording at the moment but I read somewhere that only this option works with your MODs in parking mode right?

Last edited:
one more thing @BCHobbyist are you planning to make a MOD with time lapse parking mode working with all the changes you made (bitrate, sharpness, brightness, colors etc) ?
I didn't check it yet because I'm using low bitrate recording at the moment but I read somewhere that only this option works with your MODs in parking mode right?
Currently waiting for release of new Buffered Parking Firmware, unknown if it will be easier or harder to modify support for the popular Time Lapse 5fps mode.
Until then keep using Low Bitrate Recording since it works with MODs and Power Banks perfectly.

Here are some RAW files with the Viofo A129 Duo - MOD-9Up - Front 29 Mbps Rear 15 Mbps = Max Detail = Huge MP4 size
Front - CPL
Rear - Windows tint 95%

@BCHobbyist, do you have any idea why over-sharpening the front camera and the rear it's okay?
P.S: I will try MOD-0Uq - Front 35 Mbps Rear 9 Mbps = Max Detail = Huge MP4 size

Can you make 35 Mbps for the rear too or it's the limit at 44 Mbps, and just to be sure, this are Mbps not MB/s

Last edited:
( @vvs49 can you test this MOD, thanks)
Ок!
I see the extra Sharpness cleaned, great, still here change the audio - 48kHz
5FE9C4: 00 7D 00 00 -> 80 BB 00 00
More details in the road
I will inform you.

P. S.
The rear camera's bitrate can be raised if its resolution is reduced, 480P
The quality of the video is not reflected.

Last edited:
Here are some RAW files with the Viofo A129 Duo - MOD-9Up - Front 29 Mbps Rear 15 Mbps = Max Detail = Huge MP4 size
Front - CPL
Rear - Windows tint 95%

@BCHobbyist, do you have any idea why over-sharpening the front camera and the rear it's okay?
P.S: I will try MOD-0Uq - Front 35 Mbps Rear 9 Mbps = Max Detail = Huge MP4 size

Can you make 35 Mbps for the rear too or it's the limit at 44 Mbps, and just to be sure, this are Mbps not MB/s
All Viofo official firmware is over-sharpened ask them.
The Up series MODs use default Viofo Sharpness requested by many Forum Members complaining my lower sharpness MODs degraded image quality. I create dozens of MODs there is no reason you must use version 9Up, try 6Uk or newer 6Uq.
Not sure if you are joking or not about 35 Mbps on both Front and Rear, there is no Dash Camera sold today anywhere for $100 that can handle that demand, the A129 chipset would melt.

BCHobbyist!!!
You have removed the Viofo logo !! ???? :cry::cry:
I liked it more, I returned it.
block
5DD158 - 5DD179
56494F464F20413132392D3055710000000000002020202020202020202020202020
VIOFO A129-0Uq (y)

Attachments

• viofo.jpg
    viofo.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I'll compare behavior with 7Up and official FW. I doubt the MOD is the cause, but it does affect Parking Mode.

I have checked your new 6Uq MOD and still the same problem with the app, anyone else having that or is it only me? ;)

You have removed the Viofo logo !! ???? :cry::cry:
I liked it more, I returned it.

I like it as well, would be nice to leave it in your MODs ;)

I've tested the new MOD-9Uq - Front 29 Mbps Rear 15 Mbps = Max Detail = Huge MP4 size a little outside, it's AWESOME, no more ugly over-sharpening, thank you very much for all your job @BCHobbyist !

Feedback on Uq version sharpness is needed specifically for wide and narrow FOV Lens.
The narrow field of view Lens may benefit with slightly higher Sharpness value 42. If anyone wants to Beta test MOD-7Ur let me know.

Removed "Viofo" from camera model stamp to reduce text along bottom overlay and save space.

Last edited:
Hello . I have Viofo A129 DUO, Lens 1 , 130 FOV Coated.
Which is the Best Firmware for Lens 1, 130 Fov?
Where the Heat from the Cam is not hot, but the Video Quality best.
I will try 9uq , is this ok and good? Or should i try other Version?
There are so many, i do not go through anymore!

Sorry my Englisch is not so good, i am German.

Last edited:
When I see posts with informations like this: 5FE9C4: 00 7D 00 00 -> 80 BB 00 00
BCHobbyist, how about making easy GUI application in Java or C# which is just modifing corresponding binary data through spinner boxes, checkboxes, etc? Based on your knowledge about binary structure of the 1.5 firmware, GUI app would allow to users to customize firmware by their own, they could select what sharpness exactly etc. Then, there would be not needed to release milions of combinations of modified firmwares like now. You could update just GUI app, new versions would allow modifing something more than in compare with previous version of GUI app.

PS: I have one question, what is capacitor in camera for? Is there some case when camera is running on just capacitor energy? Because when I shut down my car engine, camera turns off too. How about when I crash hardly and my engine will stop running or battery wires cut off, would camera continue recording the car crash or not? There is just boot delay (what it is for btw?), but not turn off delay which could use capacitor as energy source for situations like car crash etc.

When I see posts with informations like this: 5FE9C4: 00 7D 00 00 -> 80 BB 00 00
BCHobbyist, how about making easy GUI application in Java or C# which is just modifing corresponding binary data through spinner boxes, checkboxes, etc? Based on your knowledge about binary structure of the 1.5 firmware, GUI app would allow to users to customize firmware by their own, they could select what sharpness exactly etc. Then, there would be not needed to release milions of combinations of modified firmwares like now. You could update just GUI app, new versions would allow modifing something more than in compare with previous version of GUI app.

PS: I have one question, what is capacitor in camera for? Is there some case when camera is running on just capacitor energy? Because when I shut down my car engine, camera turns off too. How about when I crash hardly and my engine will stop running or battery wires cut off, would camera continue recording the car crash or not? There is just boot delay (what it is for btw?), but not turn off delay which could use capacitor as energy source for situations like car crash etc.

That's a good idea but come on, you can't ask him this, it takes a lot of time to automatize this kind of things and I don't know it's worth it, also it will need modification for every viofo update.
I will try in the weekend if it's possible to automatize this with a bash/python script.

Capacitors are to save your last files. When you cut off the power it needs some energy to save files on SD card.

thanks for your suggestion, once the improved A129 FW1.60 is released alternate methods of End User Firmware Modification may or may not be required depending on Menu changes such as 5 Sharpness level selection.
Why didn't you ask for Sharpness or Brightness or Contrast or Saturation control from manufacturer?

The supercapacitors supply power for 4-10 seconds after power is disconnected. If yours no longer works that way and instantly cuts out causing corruption on last video file the supercaps probably need replacement.
Test this indoors using power bank or 5volt power adapter, it should be obvious the power remains on for a few seconds once cable is disconnected.

Hello . I have Viofo A129 DUO, Lens 1 , 130 FOV Coated.
Which is the Best Firmware for Lens 1, 130 Fov?
Where the Heat from the Cam is not hot, but the Video Quality best.
I will try 9uq , is this ok and good? Or should i try other Version?
There are so many, i do not go through anymore!

Sorry my Englisch is not so good, i am German.
In cooler temperatures load 7Uq 8Uq 9Uq on warmer summer days use 6Uq or 5Uq

To avoid trawling back through 50+ pages of this thread, can someone summarize how the modified firmware affects parking mode? Thanks.

To avoid trawling back through 50+ pages of this thread, can someone summarize how the modified firmware affects parking mode? Thanks.

The bottom of 7 listed Parking Mode options = Low Bitrate Recording works perfectly with MODs and Power Banks
Currently waiting for release of new Buffered Parking Firmware, unknown if it will be easier or harder to modify support for the popular Time Lapse 5fps mode.
Until then keep using Low Bitrate Recording since it works with MODs and Power Banks perfectly.

Back