Viofo A129 Pro Dual Dashcam - 4K Front + 1080 Rear

For the 2nd time (weeks ago was the first) my retail front cam stopped recording after 12 seconds - the screen stayed on and that was it.

This is connected to the 12v on official power lead.

Turning the power off and then on again was all that was needed to start it working again though.

It was perishingly cold this morning, but I don't know if this was a contributory factor - the other original unit (hard wired) worked fine.

Would the video quality improve if you were to use the 1440 resolution instead of the 4K resolution? Or will the quality stay the same due to it being a 4K sensor?

Would the video quality improve if you were to use the 1440 resolution instead of the 4K resolution? Or will the quality stay the same due to it being a 4K sensor?
4K is 2160 resolution, so if you convert to 1440 resolution you throw away 720 pixels, or 1 in every 3 pixels, both vertically and horizontally.

Essentially you throw away half the detail, and because it is not a simple division by 2 in horizontal and vertical it also creates somewhat jagged diagonal lines which spoils the readability of characters on number plates.

The only real advantage is that you can have 2x the frame rate but that is not often an advantage.

The conversion to 1080 is a simple division by 2 horizontally and vertical so that produces really crisp images, but by then you've thrown away three quarters of the detail.

4K is 2160 resolution, so if you convert to 1440 resolution you throw away 720 pixels, or 1 in every 3 pixels, both vertically and horizontally.

Essentially you throw away half the detail, and because it is not a simple division by 2 in horizontal and vertical it also creates somewhat jagged diagonal lines which spoils the readability of characters on number plates.

The only real advantage is that you can have 2x the frame rate but that is not often an advantage.

The conversion to 1080 is a simple division by 2 horizontally and vertical so that produces really crisp images, but by then you've thrown away three quarters of the detail.

Sorry, I meant to specify night time quality. Would your answer be the same?

Sorry, I meant to specify night time quality. Would your answer be the same?
Yes, although if you are moving at night then there will be motion blur so the image doesn't really have 4K detail to start with. If you stop then that 4K detail can be very useful though.

The amount of motion blur isn't affected by the resolution.

There is some image noise at night, but I don't think changing the resolution makes much difference to the visible result with that, and when you are stopped with low motion blur so that you can use the 4K resolution you tend to have enough light for the image noise not to be an issue.

Is it possible to buy the rear cam seperatley after buying only the front option?

Excellent, don't know why I didn't see that myself...

Cheers.

Just got my A129 Pro 4K today from Amazon (OCD Tronic Canada storefront). Haven't installed it yet though as I also ordered the Bluetooth emergency remote with it but that is not what I received, instead the HK3ACC hardwire kit came with it. The hardwire kit package has a label on it that says it is the bluetooth remote and I guess the person at Amazon just pulls the package out of a bin without looking at it so they didn't realize it was the wrong item. Now I get to do a return ... Joy!
So I went ahead and ordered the Bluetooth remote from OCD Tronic Canada storefront on Amazon again and yet again Amazon sent me the hard-wiring kit! Either another item that is mislabeled or they sent me the same mislabeled item they did last time. Yet another return to do! If I do order it again I will see if I can order from someone other than OCD Tronic's storefront.

So I went ahead and ordered the Bluetooth remote from OCD Tronic Canada storefront on Amazon again and yet again Amazon sent me the hard-wiring kit! Either another item that is mislabeled or they sent me the same mislabeled item they did last time. Yet another return to do! If I do order it again I will see if I can order from someone other than OCD Tronic's storefront.
maybe order direct from @OCD Tronic Canada rather than through Amazon

maybe order direct from @OCD Tronic Canada rather than through Amazon
They don't appear to have the bluetooth remote on their Canada web site, don't know if it would make any difference trying to order from Viofo's storefront on Amazon, I doubt it.

if Amazon has them labeled wrong that could be a problem regardless I guess
Agreed so I have ordered directly from Viofo, 14-28 business days for delivery so is going to take a while but at least I will get it.

They don't appear to have the bluetooth remote on their Canada web site, don't know if it would make any difference trying to order from Viofo's storefront on Amazon, I doubt it.

Sorry for hearing about your negative experience with our Amazon Canada store!

Please contact me directly on DCT or on Amazon and we'll send you one for free!

Sorry for hearing about your negative experience with our Amazon Canada store!

Please contact me directly on DCT or on Amazon and we'll send you one for free!
Thanks, I have sent you a message through the "conversation" option in DCT

Is it possible to buy the rear cam seperatley after buying only the front option?
I bought an A129 rear camera a while ago but never used it. PM me if you want to buy it.

Last edited:
Hi! Lately my a129 pro duo camera sometimes stops recording and if I manually start the recording, it works for some time, then again, it stops. I formatted the card, it works for few days then again, same story. FW is 1.1 and I see there is no other firmware released.
I am unhappy with the product. I regret that I bought this..Have to check it all the time...

Hi! Lately my a129 pro duo camera sometimes stops recording and if I manually start the recording, it works for some time, then again, it stops. I formatted the card, it works for few days then again, same story. FW is 1.1 and I see there is no other firmware released.
I am unhappy with the product. I regret that I bought this..Have to check it all the time...

What memory card are you using? It could be that which is your problem.

Memory cards can slow down with use(age) causing the problem to get worse.

Memory cards can slow down with use(age) causing the problem to get worse.

That's just an excuse for a poor quality product. And what do I need to do? buy a new card every 2 months? My previous DOD camera (bought in 2014) works even now. I agree, that was a Full HD camera, has smaller capacity card but still..

Paul Iddon
I am using a Samsung 256 GB UHS1. Worked well when until now

Last edited:
Back