Viofo A139 3CH review

A little about the heat sink...
The heat sink did not touch the processor.
This can be clearly seen in the intact thermal paste.
Added a half millimeter thick brass spacer...

It is possible that this is only in my copy of the camera...

Along the way, I'm trying new video parameters...

Need to work on metering and curves...

Last edited:
This can be clearly seen in the intact thermal paste.
But there is paste on the shield, so it must have made contact?

Could maybe do with a bit more paste between the heatsink and memory card slot?

The radiator is absolutely clean and there are no traces of paste contact with the radiator on the paste.
Judging by the fact that the brass gasket got up without problems, there is enough room for it.
It may be more advisable to use a thermowell instead of thermal paste.
I do not exclude that this is only on my copy of the gadget...

Wow the video transmitter chips are large! The cost of using the new connectors!

Unfortunately - the new rear camera rotate and mirror options do not work for me, in any combination, for the setup where the mount is located on the other end of the camera.
@viofo please can your engineers check this again?
APP is not updated yet, will be updated before the final release. Mirror option and mute voice notification is already supported in the firmware.

The radiator is absolutely clean and there are no traces of paste contact with the radiator on the paste.
Judging by the fact that the brass gasket got up without problems, there is enough room for it.
It may be more advisable to use a thermowell instead of thermal paste.
I do not exclude that this is only on my copy of the gadget...
The final version heating radiating solution is different.

This is good to know (y) A high-performance multi-channel cam needs the best cooling possible.

Phil

Last edited:
Yeah i suppose your cooling solution can never be too good, it can only be that in the sense it make your product unreasonable expensive.
At least to some degree depending on form factor, the better cooling solution should also provide parking guard for longer in a hot car, though i do think at some point there will be a apex.

As i have said with passive remote systems, the main unit can have a very large heat sink, and if needed it could be expanded on with active cooling by adding a fan though this of course will wear on your power source too.
The same would also be needed if you made a "race" dashcam running high resolutions and / or very high bitrates, for instance a dual 4 K system with reasonable bitrate, well you can not make that in the small shapes we know off now.
Good thing is a remote system, the main unit can be as large as a whole carton of cigarettes VS just 1 pack of cigarettes.
As long as it could fit under a seat it should be fine.

Yes, it's worth noting that our test samples may be different from the final hardware in many respects. We should remember this if any heat-related problems arise next summer in our test samples.

By summertime here the improved cams will be in use everywhere and we will be on to testing newer cams ;) From what I've seen now the heatsink looks huge and should be more than adequate, and the airflow path also looks excellent, so it seems only minor details need to be addressed. This should be a very good cam and the price is nice too :cool:

Phil

My A139 feel pretty cold to the touch, i have felt much warmer cameras for sure.
My dji Osmo Action camera get so hot, you do not want to touch its warmest parts ( metal around lens and heat sink on front ) on any thin sensitive skin, it is plenty damn hot for thick skin.
It is of course also cranking out image quality on a whole other level.

H.264 Maximum bit rate
Front cam: 2560×1440 30fps – Overall bit rate: 27.8 Mb/s. 199MB per 1min file.
Rear cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 17.0 Mb/s. 121MB per 1min file.
Interior cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 17.0 Mb/s. 121MB per 1min file.
28+17+17=62 Mbps
I estimate a 256GB card should be good for just over 9 hours
That's good, since I have an 8-to-9 hour drive coming up tomorrow :)

28+17+17=62 Mbps
I estimate a 256GB card should be good for just over 9 hours
That's good, since I have an 8-to-9 hour drive coming up tomorrow :)

How did you find the A139 was during this time?

Doesn't prevent dashcam itself from being removed from the mount tho.

Doesn't prevent dashcam itself from being removed from the mount tho.

Yeah, can dismount it from the mount and cut the 3 wires from the A139 for a quick steal.

Back