VIOFO A229 Pro - Testing / Review - RCG

Thanks for the kind words about my testing efforts. I was in the computer software industry for nearly 40 years. I've worked as a lead QA engineer, senior and principal software engineer. After my final software employer decided to shutdown the division I was in, I decided to move on and start my YouTube channel and create videos for car shows and automotive content. I attended the SEMA 2019 show in Las Vegas and that's where I met up with my first dash camera company and they started sending me dash cameras to review. That has grown by leaps and bounds since then. I try to gather the info that might not be easily obtainable for the average consumer, but info they might need to know to make an informed purchase decision. I must not be in it for the money, because if you work out what I make on my videos and any affiliate sales, I earn pennies per hour.
You're doing a really good job and it is useful for the end users and the rest of us here that happen across writings. Same goes for @Panzer Platform . For me personally it scratches my inner geek too, so it's always fun to get to talk about all this stuff, learn with others and the like :)

AV1 perhaps in the future when it's more widespread.
Hopefully.

It is currently available for some cameras, but I think the problem is that no SoC has the required processing power to encode high quality 4K to AV1 in real time, which of course is necessary for dashcams. Currently real time encoding is only suitable for video conferencing quality.

Novatek have recently been upgrading their chip manufacturing substantially though, so hopefully dashcam AV1 is not far away.

Licensing costs may still be an issue though, not for use of AV1, but for the design of the encoder, I'm sure Novatek are not capable of designing their own, so will have to either license or buy it, which will cost.

Hopefully.

It is currently available for some cameras, but I think the problem is that no SoC has the required processing power to encode high quality 4K to AV1 in real time, which of course is necessary for dashcams. Currently real time encoding is only suitable for video conferencing quality.

Novatek have recently been upgrading their chip manufacturing substantially though, so hopefully dashcam AV1 is not far away.

Licensing costs may still be an issue though, not for use of AV1, but for the design of the encoder, I'm sure Novatek are not capable of designing their own, so will have to either license or buy it, which will cost.
Fair points, guess that's why we haven't been seeing it in consumer hardware that much yet (encoder side) but decoders we have (Netflix, streaming boxes). Will have to see it as mainstream consumer adoption first before it trickles down to dashcam technology though as we seem to get stuff slower than everyone else..

Fair points, guess that's why we haven't been seeing it in consumer hardware that much yet (encoder side) but decoders we have (Netflix, streaming boxes). Will have to see it as mainstream consumer adoption first before it trickles down to dashcam technology though as we seem to get stuff slower than everyone else..
Yes, it was designed for easy real time decoding, Novatek already have decoders in their TV chipsets, but encoding good quality in real time requires vastly more processing power, seems like they overdid the complexity a bit for current hardware.

While I'm waiting for new firmware releases to be provided by VIOFO after their 8-day national holiday break, I thought I would upload some video samples of where things are right now with the VIOFO A229 Pro 3-channel configuration.

Daytime Footage:

The front camera firmware is a debug firmware to capture some image quality data for VIOFO to address a "blue flash" issue. I don't see the "blue flash" issue using this debug firmware which had some tweaks applied to try and resolve that issue. The normal status line text has been replaced by the debug data on the front camera footage and there is no status line text present for the interior and rear camera video.

Dash Camera: VIOFO A229 Pro 3CH
Firmware: v1.0_230922 Debug Front / v1.0_230901 Rear
Front Camera CPL Filter: Yes
HDR: Disabled
Firmware Bitrate: Maximum

Nighttime Footage:

I tested several versions of the front camera firmware to address HDR image quality issues for the front camera. This version seems to be working decently for the front camera. The rear camera's HDR image quality is okay for some illuminated objects/signs and poor for other illuminated objects/signs. I'm not a fan of the interior nighttime image quality. The thread piping around the edge of the front passenger seat shifts a lot and the pattern in the center of the front passenger seat is difficult to see.

Firmware: v1.0_230925 Front / v1.0_230901 Rear
Front Camera CPL Filter: No
HDR: Enabled - All Three Cameras

Last edited:
While I'm waiting for new firmware releases to be provided by VIOFO after their 8-day national holiday break, I thought I would upload some video samples of where things are right now with the VIOFO A229 Pro 3-channel configuration.

Daytime Footage:

The front camera firmware is a debug firmware to capture some image quality data for VIOFO to address a "blue flash" issue. I don't see the "blue flash" issue using this debug firmware which had some tweaks applied to try and resolve that issue. The normal status line text has been replaced by the debug data on the front camera footage and there is no status line text present for the interior and rear camera video.

Firmware: v1.0_230922 Debug Front / v1.0_230901 Rear
Front Camera CPL Filter: Yes
HDR: Disabled

Nighttime Footage:

I tested several versions of the front camera firmware to address HDR image quality issues for the front camera. This version seems to be working decently for the front camera. The rear camera's HDR image quality is okay for some illuminated objects/signs and poor for other illuminated objects/signs. I'm not a fan of the interior nighttime image quality. The thread piping around the edge of the front passenger seat shifts a lot and the pattern in the center of the front passenger seat is difficult to see.

Firmware: v1.0_230925 Front / v1.0_230901 Rear
Front Camera CPL Filter: No
HDR: Enabled - All Three Cameras

Lol the noose of cables from the roof next to you HAHA

Lol the noose of cables from the roof next to you HAHA
That's how I route the ever changing list of rear camera cables and dash camera power or hardwire kit cables up to dash cameras on the front/rear windows. If I took my car's interior panels out each time I routed a new set of dash camera cables, they would be in a thousand pieces by now.

I have two 12-volt power circuits that terminate at the front center of the headliner which source their power from two different dash camera battery packs which are located in my car's trunk (Cellink B / BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8). I can switch out the power cables/hardwire kits contained in the headliner, but when I have 5 to 6 dash cameras on the front windshield, those cables need to go somewhere. :p

I have three additional battery packs inside of the passenger compartment (one on the center console - BlackVue B-112) and one under each front passenger seat (Thinkware iVolt Mini BAB-50 and a Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 or a second BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 as needed). The things you do to review dash cameras.... :geek:

That's how I route the ever changing list of rear camera cables and dash camera power or hardwire kit cables up to dash cameras on the front/rear windows. If I took my car's interior panels out each time I routed a new set of dash camera cables, they would be in a thousand pieces by now.

I have two 12-volt power circuits that terminate at the front center of the headliner which source their power from two different dash camera battery packs which are located in my car's trunk (Cellink B / BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8). I can switch out the power cables/hardwire kits contained in the headliner, but when I have 5 to 6 dash cameras on the front windshield, those cables need to go somewhere. :p

I have three additional battery packs inside of the passenger compartment (one on the center console - BlackVue B-112) and one under each front passenger seat (Thinkware iVolt Mini BAB-50 and a Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 or a second BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 as needed). The things you do to review dash cameras.... :geek:
That's an awesome setup :D :D, I would ask for a video tour of the setup but don't want to give your secrets away...

I'm not a fan of the interior nighttime image quality.
What do you mean you don't like the Interior camera?
I challenge you to an IR Interior camera shootout. lol
Time, and windshield space permitting.

Nighttime Footage:

I overlooked that at first, just thought it was outside light reflecting off the piping. I do wonder if it is the LEDs from the IR that is causing that effect, more so than the sensor or firmware? It would be interesting to see if the same effect appears in a different car with different color piping.

I overlooked that at first, just thought it was outside light reflecting off the piping. I do wonder if it is the LEDs from the IR that is causing that effect, more so than the sensor or firmware? It would be interesting to see if the same effect appears in a different car with different color piping.
Does seem to be a bit too shimmery, even for IR. Sure they can tidy that up a little bit. For me it's not a deal-breaker, but every little optimisation helps tbh

Does seem to be a bit too shimmery, even for IR. Sure they can tidy that up a little bit. For me it's not a deal-breaker, but every little optimisation helps tbh

Completely agree, it is not a deal breaker for me either. The night clarity is still quite good and will capture all of any visible passenger activity or outside activity.

Completely agree, it is not a deal breaker for me either. The night clarity is still quite good and will capture all of any visible passenger activity or outside activity.
That's the main thing isn't it , just need enough to capture events and people in it - even if there is a disco halo around objects lOl

Too shy to ask....
Where is the daytime video from the front camera? :unsure:
Thanks for pointing that out. It appears I incorrectly posted the link to the rear footage twice. I've updated the previous post with the link to the front video footage.

On Tuesday 26-Sep-2023, I was given permission from VIOFO to start posting info about the A229 Pro / A229 Plus dash cameras. I have not started my testing of the A229 Plus dash camera yet since it is scheduled to arrive later today.

A229 Pro Unboxing

The VIOFO A229 Pro will be sold in two configurations. A three channel configuration with front, rear and interior cameras and a two channel configuration with a front and rear camera. I was provided a 3-channel A229 Pro dash camera by VIOFO free of charge for my testing / review. I should also receive an A229 Plus dash camera from VIOFO for testing / review.

The A229 Pro will operate in any of the following configurations:
  • 3CH - Front + Rear + Interior
  • 2CH - Front + Rear
  • 2CH - Front + Interior
  • 1CH - Front
Accessories for the A229 Pro
  • Front Camera CPL
    • The A229 Pro includes a front camera CPL filter while the A229 Plus does not include a front camera CPL filter.
  • Bluetooth Remote
  • HK3-C / HK4 3-Wire Hardwire Kit
  • No Option For An External Microphone
    • The location on the side of the A229 front camera for an external microphone has been repurposed for the 3.5mm connector for the interior camera.
    • There is no way to connect an external microphone with the A229 Pro / Plus dash cameras.
  • Up to 512 GB MicroSD Cards
    • The A229 Pro / Plus will support microSD cards with a storage capacity of up to 512 GB.
Changes / Additions From The A229 Duo
  • Image Sensors
    • Front and rear cameras now have a Sony STARVIS 2 image sensor
      • A229 Pro Front - Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 1/1.8" 8MP Image Sensor
      • A229 Plus Front - Sony STARVIS 2 IMX675 1/2.8" 5MP Image Sensor
      • A229 Pro / Plus Rear - Sony STARVIS 2 IMX675 1/2.8" 5MP Image Sensor
    • Interior camera - Sony STARVIS IMX307 2MP Image Sensor
  • HDR (High Dynamic Range) For All Three Cameras
    • The A229 Duo offered WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) for the front camera.
    • The HDR feature in the A229 Pro / Plus is functional for all three cameras.
  • Quad-Mode GPS Receiver
    • The GPS receiver provided with the A229 Pro / Plus is a new quad-mode unit.
    • It should deliver more precise GPS data.
    • Note: The GPS windshield mount from the older A229 Duo is similar in shape and size, but the GPS mount from the A229 Duo is not compatible with the A229 Pro / Plus dash camera.
  • Voice Commands
    • You can now control the A229 Pro / Plus dash cameras by simply using voice commands.
      • Take Photo
      • Turn On Audio
      • Turn Off Audio
      • Turn On Screen
      • Turn Off Screen
      • Show Front Camera
      • Show Both Cameras
      • Show Rear Camera
      • Video Start
      • Turn On Wi-Fi
      • Turn Off Wi-Fi
      • Lock The Video
View attachment 67767 View attachment 67765 View attachment 67764View attachment 67762 View attachment 67761

Does A229 Pro use the same cables and mounting plate as A229 Duo? I am hoping that if I replace my A229 Duo with A220 Pro, I don't have to start over the whole process of wiring so that all I have to do is to swap the cameras.

Back