VIOFO A229 Pro - Testing / Review - RCG

I put together a "short" video with some front and rear video samples from five of the front dash cameras I have installed in my car at the moment. I have four rear camera video samples since the A119 Mini 2 is a single channel dash camera mounted only on the front windshield.

Dash Cameras: VIOFO A229 Pro / A119 Mini 2 / A139 Pro / Thinkware U3000 / BlackVue DR970X

The color tone.
Notice how some are very warm (A229P, A139P) and other cool (A119M2, U3000, DR970X)
Also see some strange color flashing issues, A229P, A139P, greenish tint, then purple flashes. A119M2, does not do it at all.
The A229P is like watching through a yellow tint most times, it is way off color tone.
The A139P is more correct tone, but quite washed out color wise. Exposure is high alot, blown out image, especially the sky. (same with rear cam)
Thinkware U3000, very contrasty, but also has the most reflections from the dash in the way. (rear cam looks pretty good)
Blackview DR970X, darkest image, musted, and see a bunch of sparkled noise in black images (dash). (Rear cam is quite poor)
Despite the other models being 4K, The VIOFO A119 Mini 2, to me, still looks the best.

Other factor, the Thinkware and Blackvue models, are ~$600 USD.
May seem like the more "professional" type of systems, the Blackvue does have optional LTE cloud service, the video performance and output is what matters the most, not flashy features.
In my opinion, the VIOFO A119 Mini 2 still is killing other cams, even VIOFO's own higher end models.
They really nailed it with A119 Mini 2.... now, if only they could refine their other models to be just as good or better.

---
How does one get selected to get sent and review dash cams from all these companies? Or are you buying these all on your own $?
I used to do hardware beta testing for several consumer electronics companies who made home wifi routers, but that was many years ago now.
Just curious if there is some sort of selection process or qualifications.

These two cameras come with a CPL and thus should have been colour calibrated with the CPL fitted. Should really have been tested with the CPL on if you want the colours "correct".
In my video, I note that the A139 Pro and A229 Pro both have their front camera CPL filters installed.

How does one get selected to get sent and review dash cams from all these companies? Or are you buying these all on your own $?
I used to do hardware beta testing for several consumer electronics companies who made home wifi routers, but that was many years ago now.
Just curious if there is some sort of selection process or qualifications.
In the late 2010s, I had purchased a few VIOFO dash cameras with my own money (before starting my reviews) and I had purchased a Thinkware F800 Pro and Cellink B battery pack with my own money. I created a few videos about those dash cameras and battery pack in the early days of my YouTube channel. I attended SEMA 2019 and met with Pittasoft reps at the show and they started sending dash cameras to test/review (for "free"). The other dash cameras that I have reviewed on my channel have been primarily free marketing units. Starting a reviewer relationship with a company can come from them watching your previous videos and their marketing department will reach out or you contacting their marketing department and asking for a unit to review.

There is no such thing as a "free" product when you include the amount research time, driving time (gasoline), time involved in documenting and reporting bugs to the manufacturer and then the time involved in putting together video(s) for that product. I've had a couple of those "free" products result in no review video because the product was so bad or had technical issues that were never resolved that it was not something I could recommend to my viewers, but you still put in the time and money attempting to review it.

The color tone.
Notice how some are very warm (A229P, A139P) and other cool (A119M2, U3000, DR970X)
Also see some strange color flashing issues, A229P, A139P, greenish tint, then purple flashes. A119M2, does not do it at all.
The A229P is like watching through a yellow tint most times, it is way off color tone.
The A139P is more correct tone, but quite washed out color wise. Exposure is high alot, blown out image, especially the sky. (same with rear cam)

In the "old days" when I first got into dash cameras many came with options in the menu that allowed the user to adjust color balance, contrast and some other parameters. My first dash cam, a generic Chinese model purchased in 2010 came with this feature.

I would love to see the return of features like that. It's my understanding that all dash cam chipsets have this option built into their SDKs by default but that the feature is rarely implemented these days.

In the late 2010s, I had purchased a few VIOFO dash cameras with my own money (before starting my reviews) and I had purchased a Thinkware F800 Pro and Cellink B battery pack with my own money. I created a few videos about those dash cameras and battery pack in the early days of my YouTube channel. I attended SEMA 2019 and met with Pittasoft reps at the show and they started sending dash cameras to test/review (for "free"). The other dash cameras that I have reviewed on my channel have been primarily free marketing units. Starting a reviewer relationship with a company can come from them watching your previous videos and their marketing department will reach out or you contacting their marketing department and asking for a unit to review.

There is no such thing as a "free" product when you include the amount research time, driving time (gasoline), time involved in documenting and reporting bugs to the manufacturer and then the time involved in putting together video(s) for that product. I've had a couple of those "free" products result in no review video because the product was so bad or had technical issues that were never resolved that it was not something I could recommend to my viewers, but you still put in the time and money attempting to review it.
Ah. Thats kinda what i thought, but wasn't sure if this form was also a springboard for manufactures to find testing people.
For me, who does not do YouTube vids, but written reviews, it was just posting my comments and solutions to issues on smallnetbuilder online form, and the mods/company representatives DM's me on there asking if i wanted to be part of their beta testing group...etc (this was back around 2012 -2017)
Now adays, i guess one needs the presence on YouTube...

Thank you for your detailed testing, reports and videos. It is truly appreciated. Really helped me pick the right dash cam, and cement my buying decision afterward, seeing how i was very much on the verge of returning the A119 Mini 2 and going for the new A229 Pro 2 channel. But instead got second A119 Min2 for my rear.

In the "old days" when I first got into dash cameras many came with options in the menu that allowed the user to adjust color balance, contrast and some other parameters. My first dash cam, a generic Chinese model purchased in 2010 came with this feature.
My first dash cam, a Cobra branded one. I recall it had more of your TV like picture adjust settings...Brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, Hue, etc.
480p mpeg1 avi

Things sure have come a long way

Let me ask you:
Which Viofo model was your first model?

Let me ask you:
Which Viofo model was your first model?
If I recall correctly, it was the A119S V2. I purchased an A129 Duo to put into my wife's Kia Soul. When the A129 Pro Duo was released, I upgraded her car with that dash camera. The A129 Pro Duo is still in my wife's car today. I have the A119S V2 installed in our other car. I purchased a Thinkware F800 Pro and an EGEN Cellink B battery pack to install into my car back in 2018. I think that was my first dash camera/battery pack review video. I moved the Thinkware F800 Pro onto my next car. Late 2019 / early 2020, that's when I started reviewing BlackVue products and I had the F800 Pro and the DR900S-2CH and a BlackVue B-124X battery pack in my car for a period of time. I gave the DR900S-2CH and the B-124X battery pack to a friend of mine as a birthday gift. That's when I started getting some additional offers to review dash cameras and that's when the jigsaw puzzle placement of dash cameras and battery packs began for my testing.

I've purchased most of the dash camera battery packs that I've reviewed. I've purchased one of the two BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 battery packs, EGEN Cellink B, Thinkware iVolt Mini BAB-50. I purchased a Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 at a slightly reduced price on the condition that I created a review video. If I accept a product for review, the company must understand I'm creating my video that will express my opinion good or bad. Some products have been so challenging to review, I didn't want to continue the work on the review and no review video was created. I have to know when to move on and cut my losses of time and effort.

The A129 Pro Duo is still in my wife's car today.
Robert’s review of the A129 Pro Duo back on March 12, 2020 is why I’m such a fan of his;

I bought an A129 Pro Duo February 2020, and his fantastic review really explained the camera, and answered all my questions.

Ah. Thats kinda what i thought, but wasn't sure if this form was also a springboard for manufactures to find testing people.
For me, who does not do YouTube vids, but written reviews, it was just posting my comments and solutions to issues on smallnetbuilder online form, and the mods/company representatives DM's me on there asking if i wanted to be part of their beta testing group...etc (this was back around 2012 -2017)
Now adays, i guess one needs the presence on YouTube...

Thank you for your detailed testing, reports and videos. It is truly appreciated. Really helped me pick the right dash cam, and cement my buying decision afterward, seeing how i was very much on the verge of returning the A119 Mini 2 and going for the new A229 Pro 2 channel. But instead got second A119 Min2 for my rear.
It's definitely a different world these days, and predominantly YouTube focussed but there are exceptions in some places but heavily dependent on the policies and goodwill of the companies themselves.

I too came from the online forums world, started way back in 2007 with Nokia, helping other users around the world with their device & services issues which led to assisting with testing devices & finding firmware bugs before they hit retail. Prototypes, retail units, t-shirts/stickers you name it, all came across my doorstep. Got to know and meet a bunch of the software/hardware/marketing guys at Nokia, and tours of global HQ in Helsinki, and attend a few phone launches and ride-alongs with the HERE Maps guys in their vehicles. Ended up also writing reviews for devices which they published.

Again, nothing came for "free". Put in hours and hours of my own time and it all paid off. Learnt a lot and have a lot of friendships with the folks to this day. Plus too many phones in boxes as well that are spares lols.

Last edited:
This video contains daytime cloudy sky footage from a VIOFO A229 Pro front camera and a VIOFO A119 Mini 2. I use the raw audio captured by both dash cameras so you can hear the quality and volume differences.

This video contains daytime cloudy sky footage from a VIOFO A229 Pro front camera and a VIOFO A119 Mini 2. I use the raw audio captured by both dash cameras so you can hear the quality and volume differences.

The A119 Mini 2 firmware u have is V1.0_20230926 ??

the latest one on the website is V1.0_20230912

what change in the newer version?

Also, the mic on the A229 Pro, quite muffled (Or more aggressive noise suppression?) compared to the A119 Mini 2.
Colors still off, yup, A119 mini 2 looks a tad brighter image too. A229P has a greenish Hue to it at the end there.

Last edited:
Hands down the A119 is much better. I am puzzled why VIOFO have so much trouble with getting the image quality and color quality correct. After all the cameras one would think they would
have this down pat. Does SONY not offer an SDK for their sensors?

Still no regrets about my two A229 Pro but VIOFO needs to up their game and get a different programming team.

Thanks for the comparison.

The white balance is better on the A119 Mini 2, but I think the A229 Pro looks better when it comes to details. It can capture plates a little farther away, there looks to be more detail and less compression, there's less aliasing on edges like power lines, and it maintains sharpness better on the edges of the frame when passing plates in parking lots.

I did't focus on the audio too much, but in terms of video, overall I'd give the A229 Pro the W in terms of detail and video quality.

The A119 Mini 2 firmware u have is V1.0_20230926 ??

the latest one on the website is V1.0_20230912

what change in the newer version?
The v1.0_20230926 A119 Mini 2 firmware is the same is the v1.0_20230912 firmware except it has a "quick fix" for the purple color issue I reported to VIOFO when the light level is near completely black.

The v1.0_20230926 A119 Mini 2 firmware is the same is the v1.0_20230912 firmware except it has a "quick fix" for the purple color issue I reported to VIOFO when the light level is near completely black.
Ah! I have had that happen on my cams, though, not often. Guess they waiting for something more to fix or add in, before they release it as public firmware.

Ah! I have had that happen on my cams, though, not often. Guess they waiting for something more to fix or add in, before they release it as public firmware.
That's likely the reason. I just sent email to VIOFO asking for an update regarding the AED parking mode "bug" that I mentioned in this post a few weeks ago.

This video contains daytime cloudy sky footage from a VIOFO A229 Pro front camera and a VIOFO A119 Mini 2.
I wish you lived a little closer, so when we're out gathering test footage we can be in each other's videos. lol
Especially since we're testing the same cameras.
We could maneuver around in an open parking lot trying to get license plate captures. lol

That's likely the reason. I just sent email to VIOFO asking for an update regarding the AED parking mode "bug" that I mentioned in this post a few weeks ago.

Just wondering, is it possible to downgrade VIOFO cams firmware, should a new firmware introduce an issue?
The cam just flash what ever firmware it sees on the card?
Or is downgrade blocked?

Back