VIOFO A229 Pro - Testing / Review - RCG

I wish I could say the same about Vantrue.
I wish Vantrue would step up to the plate, and start fixing the S1 Pro, but oh well.
I have a feeling they are putting that camera on the back burner.
I haven't heard from Jeff in a while either

A229 Pro: 96529 = Newest
A139 Pro: 96687 = Oldest
A229 Plus: 96580 = Older
A119 Mini 2: 96580 = Older
A229 Duo: 96580 = Older
Done.
And no one knows what specs they have or how one is better than the other. What video streams they can handle, what nanometer architecture they're on etc etc :(

I haven't heard from Jeff in a while either
Maybe he applied for a job at Viofo.
And no one knows what specs they have or how one is better than the other. What video streams they can handle, what nanometer architecture they're on etc etc :(
Google the Product Information Sheet for each and check.

Maybe he applied for a job at Viofo.

Google the Product Information Sheet for each and check.
Just did and couldn't find some of them :(, same for the 98529BG in the N4 Pro either. Seems like no one knows

Haha burn with Jeffster!

The NT96580 is also called as NT98528. Compared to the NT98529, only the codec performance difference. It is a small difference.
Ok thanks for this Bill, small but helps :)

The NT96580 is also called as NT98528. Compared to the NT98529, only the codec performance difference. It is a small difference.
Does the A229 Pro and Plus have a hidden h.265 recording mode? Or is the codec removed because of the lower end chip on A229 Plus?

VIOFO gave me a debug firmware with image quality debug data on the status line and I captured video and sent them examples from that drive with the debug firmware installed.
Quite interesting, can you post one snapshot with this debug info? Sometimes I try to find answer why some frames are blurred and it can be helpful info.

Quite interesting, can you post one snapshot with this debug info? Sometimes I try to find answer why some frames are blurred and it can be helpful info.
The status line text is replaced with numbers like this that change values as the video progresses.

1695972410601.png

Viofo does a very good job in terms of sustainability and solutions. I can say that my interest in cameras has completely turned into a hobby for me, without any profit motive. For this reason, I had the opportunity to test many cameras while continuing my search for the best and most useful camera for my vehicle.

Problems encountered or suggestions for improvement were not ignored.
So Viofo is doing its job.

It is certain that image quality will vary between users. In other words, different combinations such as camera position, windshield tilt, dashboard material, vehicle height, color of the vehicle hood result in different images. In addition, the lighting conditions of the road you are driving on, traffic density, sky visibility, that is, whether it is mountainous or a high-rise building, etc. also varies.

As a result, it is necessary to obtain an average image. And even if you capture this image, the image cannot be the same throughout the year. In other words, it is natural that the image you get on a day when the sun is vertical is not the same as the image you get on a day when the sun is horizontal.

By definition and function, the dash cam is not intended to produce a cinematic image. In the event of a possible accident, it is expected to identify the way the damage occurred and the other vehicle you damaged, or to identify the person or persons who caused the damage and present evidence.

Of course, it is also important that the camera works properly.

My expectations from a camera are that it consumes less energy, that the image quality is sufficient to prove the case when necessary, that it has a long life and that support can be provided in solving possible problems.

I think Viofo took this very well.

Everyone should know this; like never before,
There will never be a perfect camera, now or in the future. because expectation and technology will continue to chase each other.

Thank you @viofo @VIOFO-Support for all your support, interest and work.

Happy national holiday, have a nice holiday in advance

The status line text is replaced with numbers like this that change values as the video progresses.
Thanks. Update rate is 1 times per second or every frame?

I would like to see AV1, not least now that i have a hardware AV1 capabilities in my computer hardware.
But that will probably also have to find its way into camera SOCs to be possible.

In regard to the brands and testers / reviewers, i always felt most of them did not use me enough, for instance i would gladly change firmware and look at a specific thing in that regard several times in a day if need be.
Or run a extremely flaky firmware CUZ i do have other cameras in the car, so if one of them are a bit weird in the name of science that would be a good enough reason for me.
Of course one self could also do that with no help from the company, but it is best at least for me if someone set up a frame work to work within.
Also i an getting old, and the dashcam fire do not burn as strong in me as it use to do.

I am awake 12 hours every day, 15 - 20 hours if you count the hours i spend in bed not sleeping ( and no i am not touching myself and that's why i can not sleep :) ) so i could test many a thing in a day if people would just aim the sword that is me in the right direction.

I would like to see AV1, not least now that i have a hardware AV1 capabilities in my computer hardware.
But that will probably also have to find its way into camera SOCs to be possible.

In regard to the brands and testers / reviewers, i always felt most of them did not use me enough, for instance i would gladly change firmware and look at a specific thing in that regard several times in a day if need be.
Or run a extremely flaky firmware CUZ i do have other cameras in the car, so if one of them are a bit weird in the name of science that would be a good enough reason for me.
Of course one self could also do that with no help from the company, but it is best at least for me if someone set up a frame work to work within.
Also i an getting old, and the dashcam fire do not burn as strong in me as it use to do.

I am awake 12 hours every day, 15 - 20 hours if you count the hours i spend in bed not sleeping ( and no i am not touching myself and that's why i can not sleep :) ) so i could test many a thing in a day if people would just aim the sword that is me in the right direction.
I think it will eventually, just a matter of time. Exciting times ahead

It's definitely a different landscape these days and more cut-throat in the tech landscape. Whether companies choose to have a dedicated subset of people to test their products or not, is a dying art to be honest. It used to happen a lot but now companies are happy to throw money for paid YouTube/social media "reviews", with honesty going out the window.

I used to get pre production Nokia phones all the time back in the day, and was happy to help test out the devices along with a dedicated subset of people (much like what this DashcamTalk forum is). But that eventually went by the wayside, as the whole cell phone landscape fell victim to the Chinese and then the Indian influx of brands.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a geek and do like to test things now and then, if only to learn something new. This is probably why I found my way into a QA / Tester / Tech Support role as my job. This is also why I do shy away from testing some things, as after a day of QA work, you're a bit less enthusiastic to start poking at something else.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a geek and do like to test things now and then, if only to learn something new. This is probably why I found my way into a QA / Tester / Tech Support role as my job. This is also why I do shy away from testing some things, as after a day of QA work, you're a bit less enthusiastic to start poking at something else.

Maybe two or so years ago (before I retired), in an email with VIOFO, they asked if I wanted to do testing. I quickly declined, after years of working daily on electronics, paperwork, etc. I had no ambition to test anything. Years ago I did BIOS testing for Award, testing for Timex, testing for IBM boards, and a few others. All on my personal time and I can tell anyone that has ears to hear, the excellent testing results and data points that rcg530 provides are very, very time-consuming, and well appreciated by many users.

Reactions: Mtz
Maybe two or so years ago (before I retired), in an email with VIOFO, they asked if I wanted to do testing. I quickly declined, after years of working daily on electronics, paperwork, etc. I had no ambition to test anything. Years ago I did BIOS testing for Award, testing for Timex, testing for IBM boards, and a few others. All on my personal time and I can tell anyone that has ears to hear, the excellent testing results and data points that rcg530 provides are very, very time-consuming, and well appreciated by many users.
Thanks for the kind words about my testing efforts. I was in the computer software industry for nearly 40 years. I've worked as a lead QA engineer, senior and principal software engineer. After my final software employer decided to shutdown the division I was in, I decided to move on and start my YouTube channel and create videos for car shows and automotive content. I attended the SEMA 2019 show in Las Vegas and that's where I met up with my first dash camera company and they started sending me dash cameras to review. That has grown by leaps and bounds since then. I try to gather the info that might not be easily obtainable for the average consumer, but info they might need to know to make an informed purchase decision. I must not be in it for the money, because if you work out what I make on my videos and any affiliate sales, I earn pennies per hour.

Back
Top Bottom