VIOFO Improvement Wish List 2023

1.) APP Live View Alignment Line for 50/50 Road & Sky orientation.
Similar to Vantrue, (see attached screenshot courtesy of @rcg530)

2.) Voice Notifications For Parking Mode Events courtesy of @Vortex Radar

3.) Voice Command guard phrase; “OK Viofo, Lock The Video”. Courtesy of @rcg530

4.) Disable automatic Wi-Fi on start up, (must enable Wi-Fi manually each time). Courtesy of @safedrivesolutions

5.) Include Viofo 32GB SD Card with $10 price increase.
So the consumer can complete initial set up, pre-installation testing, recording malfunction diagnosis, perform firmware updates.

6.) Revised Hardwire Kit - Add selection to disable Low Voltage Cut-off.
Based on my testing of dash cam battery packs like the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8, and BlackVue B-130X this will increase parking mode duration 3-4 hours because the battery packs continue to provide power well bellow the hardwire kit’s lowest Cut-off of 11.80 Volts.

7.) Viofo dash cams are prominently advertised as having Parking Mode, and are a key selling point to entice a purchase.
Most consumers at the point of sale are unaware the $18 “Optional Accessory” hardwire kit is REQUIRED for “reliable operation” of this advertised feature.
This leads to the frustration of wasted time with unnecessary tech support inquiry, consumer dissatisfaction with the product, and the bait & switch advertising tactic.
In the world of consumer protection laws this is referred to as “double billing” the consumer, (charging twice to fully utilize a product, or service).
Similar to hidden fees & additional charges like “convenience fees” for accepting bill payments online, or over the phone.
Or title & documentation fees when buying a car, or home.
Or concert tickets, or hotel accommodations.
I propose two solutions to increase advertising transparency, and overall consumer satisfaction;

Option 1 - No Price Increase
Replace included Cigarette Lighter Adapter & USB Type-C cable with the Hardwire Kit so the consumer has full access to all advertised features, (Parking Mode) without incurring any further additional cost on “optional accessories”.

Option 2 - $10 Price Increase
Include BOTH the Cigarette Lighter Adapter & USB Type-C cable, AND the Hardwire Kit with a $10 price increase.

@viofo
@VIOFO-Support
Make a socket in the GPS module to connect an external GPS antenna.
And also to design a remote GPS antenna for using Viofo DVRs in problematic cars.
So that people don't have problems like this:

It's 2024 and here is what you are missing:

1. A decent power efficient parking mode.

Most people don't care about parking modes, because they will end up with an empty battery after 1h, so they just don't use it... Battery packs are expensive and not for the average Joe.

Improve on what the competition started, with ultra low energy radar assisted parking modes and everyone will buy VIOFO.

2. It's 2024, pls add network connectivity via LTE or plain WiFi hotspot.

I would love a camera that can receive a wake packet from the network and be accessible remotely, at any time.

Improve on what the competition messed up badly.

Make the camera be able to wake up from deep sleep on impact or other selectable events, connect to the network and send a notification to my phone.

We can benefit from low power parking mode while also beeing able to wake the device when needed.

Let's treat dash cams as low power idle smart devices and benefit from having a camera in our cars at any time, not just in trafic.

3. Make a BOX version of your latest flagship camera.

There are so many people that do not want to have the main unit on the windshield.

There are 0 benefits to have it there, besides the legacy look.

Having a hidden and secured box that can be safe in case your car gets broken into is of incredible use to recuperate the stolen items and catch the culprit.

Another benefit of having the main unit not on the windshield is the lower temperature that it has to endure during summer time, when normal windshield units overheat all the time.

Another obvious benefit is having a smaller camera module on the windshield. This is a lot more stealthy and less prone to catch a thieves eye.

You already have the best video quality on the market. Why not be the best all around? I'm forced to sacrifice quality because the features i need are not available on VIOFO cameras.

I completely agree with point number 3. This model has many advantages and will be in demand.
Points 1 and 2 won't hurt either, if they don't harm the quality of the video.
If all the innovations, except for making the model more expensive, worsen the quality of the video, then they are not needed.

1. A decent power efficient parking mode.
If parking mode is your priority get a Thinkware.
2. It's 2024, pls add network connectivity via LTE or plain WiFi hotspot.
If cloud is your priority get a BlackVue.
3. Make a BOX version of your latest flagship camera.
I agree.
-
The reason Viofo has dominated the market in image quality since 2019 is because they’re not saddled with developing radar, cloud, ADAS, and other nonsense features.
Viofo cameras are like a single blade dagger.
What you’re requesting is a “Jack of all trades” Swiss Army Knife.
If Viofo adds all these features it will dull the blade of the dagger.

A few years ago I talked about the main body being hidden.
Even the MT1 motorcycle version could be a reference for this. Because I suggested a waterproof camera on the outside of the vehicle and there is no improvement yet.

Having the car camera on the windshield is good for accessing the buttons. It also does not need an external GPS like the MT1.

Alternatively, a camera that improves on the MT1 and has a new hidden and water-resistant camera wouldn't be bad either.

Also, Viofo now needs to make a mirror camera that will shake things up.

we are waiting.

Having the car camera on the windshield is good for accessing the buttons. It also does not need an external GPS like the MT1.
Also a lot easier to hear the voice notifications and use the voice control than if the camera is locked up in the glovebox!
Still need a decent HDR display, at reasonable cost, to go with the HDR sensors we already have.
Can't be all that far off now...

Still need a decent HDR display, at reasonable cost, to go with the HDR sensors we already have.
Can't be all that far off now.
Instead of a rear view mirror cam, we still need a "temporary suction cup mount" for rental car users, and folks who want to use the same camera with different cars throughout the week.
If the VS1 had a suction cup mount it might fit the bill.

Instead of a rear view mirror cam, we still need a "temporary suction cup mount" for rental car users, and folks who want to use the same camera with different cars throughout the week.
If the VS1 had a suction cup mount it might fit the bill.

A suction cup holder would be good for portability.

The reason I recommended a mirror camera was not because it was portable.
Parking assist is available in vehicles without a rear view camera,
Another good thing is that it can be used as a rearview mirror for some vehicles today (electric vehicles or vehicles with narrow rear windows, panel vans or pickup trucks without rear windows) while driving.

You could make your own portable suction mount if you really needed one. :)
I approved the suction cup suggestion because it was made of @Panzer Platform

I like alternative solutions. Both the pleasure it gives while doing it and turning it into a skill are very important. examples are functional.

However, it appears to be larger than the camera and takes up more space.

A universal accessory can be created with a smaller design.

If parking mode is your priority get a Thinkware.

If cloud is your priority get a BlackVue.

I agree.
-
The reason Viofo has dominated the market in image quality since 2019 is because they’re not saddled with developing radar, cloud, ADAS, and other nonsense features.
Viofo cameras are like a single blade dagger.
What you’re requesting is a “Jack of all trades” Swiss Army Knife.
If Viofo adds all these features it will dull the blade of the dagger.
I would pay 200 to 300$ more on top of the normal price of the flagship model if it had all those features and can satisfy my needs without having to choose between them.

Both the mentioned Thinkware and Blackvue do a **** job in combing the first 2 points.
ADAS is useless in a modern car and I do agree other features like it are nonsense.

That's why I mentioned the top models, because not everyone needs my features, some people just like to watch nice looking dashcam video trips and that's all they need the dash cams to do. I personally want it to be more and provide video safety also while parked.

These features can be added without harming the video quality in any way as they would be built on top of an already very capable platform and are not intended for entry level hardware.

However, it appears to be larger than the camera and takes up more space.
Once you make the platform you could attach it to any mount that has a tripod thread. That was the idea. For a temporary mount such as for a rental car, the size, even if big could be OK I think.

I can see where the benefit of a smaller included low profile suction cup mount that comes with the camera could be good to have.

Also a lot easier to hear the voice notifications and use the voice control than if the camera is locked up in the glovebox!
You can make a remote control like Vantrue F1. The remote control contains a speaker and microphone,
as well as buttons for turning on Wi-Fi, recording video and sound, as well as formatting the memory card.

These features can be added without harming the video quality in any way as they would be built on top of an already very capable platform and are not intended for entry level hardware.
Constantly turned on Wi-Fi leads to increased heating of the DVR, and this does not improve its performance.

Constantly turned on Wi-Fi leads to increased heating of the DVR, and this does not improve its performance.
Who said anything about constant wifi? What most of us need is on demand connection.
A wake-up packet is sent to the device announcing the need for a connection. The device wifi is otherwise in a very low power mode until its woken up.

What I'm taking about here is not rocket science or bleeding edge new tech, its beeing used in smart devices for many years now, we just need the dashcams to catch up and make them more than just "record on power" devices.

Who said anything about constant wifi? What most of us need is on demand connection.
A wake-up packet is sent to the device announcing the need for a connection. The device wifi is otherwise in a very low power mode until its woken up.

What I'm taking about here is not rocket science or bleeding edge new tech, its beeing used in smart devices for many years now, we just need the dashcams to catch up and make them more than just "record on power" devices.
Your request for improvements have been documented.
Please continue your arguments by starting your own thread.
-Chuck

Your request for improvements have been documented.
Please continue your arguments by starting your own thread.
-Chuck
I had no idea this was your private thread. My sincere apologies for commenting in it.
You can continue the monologue.
-myusername

Thanks for the suggestions.
Not too far for new products to meet the requirements.

We have considered some requirements before, but there is hardware limitation before.

Please make it so saved clips get downloaded in the background to my phone or cloud without effort.

Back