What 128gb SD cards work best?

roadkill401

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have been using a Lexar 64 for the past 8 months and it works fine for the time being, but with the resolution set to the highest level i still only get just shy of 6 hours drive time video. I would really like to extend that to at least 10 hours as that would cover me for about 1 week retention.

This means getting a 128gb card for the unit. I am purchasing through Amazon here in Canada so we sometimes get really taken for a ride in the price department. I have found

Patroit
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00SNLIG5O
and PNY
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B01G26R0BM
I am sure there are others out there. what has been tested and works, or more importantly, are there ones that are known not to work at all

Trancend. It's made for storing recorded videos

Here in Canada we do not have the Green Samsung EVO cards, just the more expensive Samsung MB-MC128GA U3 Micro SD 128GB EVO Plus Memory Card. Amazon Canada does not sell any of the High Endurance Trancend cards so it's not that the regular one is designed better for Dashcams. As the price is within $10 of the Samsung that is a much faster card with 10y warranty, I might as well go with that one.

I see that there was a posting from the end of last year about G.Skill that I can get on sale right now for $20 less than the Samsung, but the OP of that thread hasn't really given any long term response to if the card has lasted and remained working. As was pointed out, the cost of shipping the mSD card to Taiwan if it would fail once, probably exceeds the cost of simply replacing it with a new card so warranty for it is a mute point.

I gather it's the EVO Plus card then. Thanks for the response.

Sorry but I'm not sure I understand... what is the purpose of having anything larger than, say, 32 GB on a dashcam? In a A119 it is sufficient for recording almost 3h continuously at 1440p / 30fps. If something happens you press the "emergency" button and the particular clip (and possibly also the preceding clip) are saved in read-only folder on the card, cannot be overwritten regardless how many hours you drive afterwards.

I can perhaps understand the need for larger storage if there are extended periods of parking mode involved but otherwise... please explain. The purpose of a dashcam is to have a good recording of incidents that may happen. Sure you can extend that to record entire journeys spanning many hours, using time lapse in post production etc but this is not a typical use.

I don't think there is a need for you to understand the OP's reasoning or be sorry for any reason. He specified his reasoning for wanting a 128GB SD card and asked for our assistance for choosing an appropriate one.

There are benefits to having a 128GB SD card. In certain models, a larger SD card may allow a person to have longer recording time options; a larger SD card may allow you to record your entire journey to, say, your first drive to your child's university/college; a larger SD card lasts longer because of the obvious reasons. I'm sure others can think of other reasons, but the first and second are important enough for me to have one.

Sorry but I'm not sure I understand... what is the purpose of having anything larger than, say, 32 GB on a dashcam? In a A119 it is sufficient for recording almost 3h continuously at 1440p / 30fps. If something happens you press the "emergency" button and the particular clip (and possibly also the preceding clip) are saved in read-only folder on the card, cannot be overwritten regardless how many hours you drive afterwards.

I can perhaps understand the need for larger storage if there are extended periods of parking mode involved but otherwise... please explain. The purpose of a dashcam is to have a good recording of incidents that may happen. Sure you can extend that to record entire journeys spanning many hours, using time lapse in post production etc but this is not a typical use.

I just want to have a weeks worth of driving video stored. I have on my travels witnessed many traffic accidents that have happened before me. Also many really bad drivers. I don't have time during the week to work with a small SD that would force me to pull the card every couple of nights to retrieve that footage needed. With a larger card it can be moved to a single time on Sunday once a week.

I have been using a Lexar 64 for the past 8 months and it works fine for the time being, but with the resolution set to the highest level i still only get just shy of 6 hours drive time video. I would really like to extend that to at least 10 hours as that would cover me for about 1 week retention.

This means getting a 128gb card for the unit. I am purchasing through Amazon here in Canada so we sometimes get really taken for a ride in the price department. I have found

Patroit
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00SNLIG5O
and PNY
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B01G26R0BM
I am sure there are others out there. what has been tested and works, or more importantly, are there ones that are known not to work at all

Amazon.ca has some amazing deals and some amazing ripoffs. I've ordered stuff from Amazon.ca and then cancelled the order after finding out that I was paying 200% more than retail on Amazon. My new process is to check the price on Amazon, check the price at BestBuy, and check the price at BandH who deliver orders over $99 to Canada for free. If the prices are similar (taking USD/CAD exchange rates into consideration) I then place my order. More often than not, BandH in new York are cheaper than Amazon.ca.

... a larger SD card lasts longer because of the obvious reasons.

That is a good technical argument. A 128 GB card compared to a 32 GB card would be updated 1/4th as often, technically extending lifetime by 400%, all parameters equal. Of course I also realize some people would like to record longer sessions than 3 hours which is what you get from a 32 GB card.

Reliability is key. I've got perfect performance from Transcend Premium 400x 32GB so that would be my choice also for micro SD cards with more capacity.

Back