What are the things to look for in a DashCam? Plus a few questions of my own

@GJHS, thanks for pointing at the thread. do you think that the Mobius would look butt ugly in an expensive luxury car. Mine is with great interiors, the mobius gives me a feeling of an IKEA hack that bachelors get for their homes. Its like a make shift arrangement, that works but doesnt go with the setup/environment. Please correct me if i am wrong.
One of the benefits of the Mobius shape is how versatile it is, there is a whole thread of mounting options. I think it fits nicely behind a rear view mirror without looking cheap and better yet without looking expensive enough to steal. Even when pointed out, people didn't know it was a camera.

Do you want pre-buffered motion detection 24/7 parking mode? The others mentioned so far won't do it.

Last edited:
One of the benefits of the Mobius shape is how versatile it is, there is a whole thread of mounting options. I think it fits nicely behind a rear view mirror without looking cheap and better yet without looking expensive enough to steal. Even when pointed out, people didn't know it was a camera.
How did you mount it behind the rearview mirror?

How did you mount it behind the rearview mirror?
I used the adhesive mount, most people don't even notice it. In Mexico, I was warned to hide it and as I said no one knew what it was. Smash and grabs are very common where I lived there so stealth was a must.

It's the shape and profile of your rearview mirror.
Holds up to 512GB too

nBhFP47.jpg

Thanks for that image, while i am reading and researching online i think i am tilting towards the panorama dash cam you posted. i've completely taken off the blackvue off my preference list now, for the matter of fact that even after charging 300+ on the price tag they are still offering average PQ, purple fringing and below low light PQ, and no 1080p on the rear cam

The street guardian model you posted recently SGZC12RC is the street guardian same brand as Panorama S? comparing the PQ on both how do they fare?

X1, G and S will have similar picture quality. The X1 lens is slightly less wide so better in my opinion.

Last edited:
I used the adhesive mount, most people don't even notice it. In Mexico, I was warned to hide it and as I said no one knew what it was. Smash and grabs are very common where I lived there so stealth was a must.
Thanks, we winter in Mexico and hiding it is certainly very good advice! They certainly are very nice cameras!

X1 G and S will have similar picture quality. The X1 lens is slightly less wide so better in my opinion.

Sir, is the X1 G or S the same brand as Panorama 2 S, i guess the panorama S is manufactured by Shenzhen Onstar Technology Co. Ltd. What about X1?
When you say that the X1g and s will have simlar picture quality, do u mean that the X1g's picture quality is similar to of the panorama 2 S's picture quality?
How did you arrive to that conclusion, i dont see any reviews or comparision videos or pics online?

With Panorama 2 s or even X1, looks like the rear cam are sold seperately, and requires additional investment over 200 dollars which is the actual price of the front cam?

With the X1 i see an external LCD monitor mounted to the dashboard, with all dangling wires etc... what if a customer does not need that? is it sold without that Lcd monitor? and will the cam work without that lcd thingy?

They are all engineered and designed by SungMoon Jang in South Korea.
Panorama S
Panorama G (SGZC12SG)
"Panorama" / X1 now SGZC12RC

There is no X1G sorry for typos I'm on my iPhone currently.

They all have the Sony IMX322 CMOS sensor and efficient power Zoran CPU.

All of these are single channel so if you want dual channel you would buy two correct.

The Panorama X2 is the only dual channel model but X2 front camera is a bit big for some.

The X1 you hide the main unit under the seat or in the glove box. It won't function without it it as that's the main CPU and storage location.

@GJHS, thanks for pointing at the thread. do you think that the Mobius would look butt ugly in an expensive luxury car. Mine is with great interiors, the mobius gives me a feeling of an IKEA hack that bachelors get for their homes. Its like a make shift arrangement, that works but doesnt go with the setup/environment. Please correct me if i am wrong. It more looks like a DIY arrangement, no FCC rating or proper grade of wiring for fuse box and etc.

It's so small that none of my passengers have ever noticed it. I would happily have installed it in my M3.

image.jpg

Over the years have i brought many things including Dslr lenses from grey market overseas, and never had to go back to the seller or manufacturer for after sales service or issues (touchwood), however there are times that certain electronic gadgets require services after few years (mandatory), hence its recommended to buy those kinds of gadgets from the authorized dealer. This way you can get hands on service, I was looking at Cowon AW2, and realize its not sold by a US based seller, i've previously owned MP3 players by Cowon, that were build to last and still have them (though dont use them), so here is a question.. does dashcam require after sales service after a few years of use mandatory?

If these are set it, forget it mechanism you dont really need to meddle with it, and it remains untouched in the car, then these should last long.. right? I trust cowon, but does these things go bad or require post sales service frequent? I am kinda desperate for a 2 channel solution that that has a 1080p cameras, has all the required wiring, fuses, and required accessories in one box. And i have arrived to a conclusion that there are is no definitiv 2 channel solution in the market.
But this product looks top of the line, really well built and so far dont hear any complains on the forum.

Niko did a few reviews on Cowon if you search on here. It's not all that popular in the forums at least.
Panorama S/G/X1/X2 has low RMA, but anything is possible with electronics from time to time. If there is any issue I make things right lightning fast.
A dashcam should be a set it and forget operation. You rarely will want to make any settings changes etc once setup.
Two X1's is a good Dual Channel solution today. If you got the X2, it still uses two microSD cards so nearly the same. (but X2 front camera is too big in the front for some)
Other 2015 dual channel remote lens products are in early development phases but not right around the corner.

Over the years have i brought many things including Dslr lenses from grey market overseas, and never had to go back to the seller or manufacturer for after sales service or issues (touchwood), however there are times that certain electronic gadgets require services after few years (mandatory), hence its recommended to buy those kinds of gadgets from the authorized dealer. This way you can get hands on service, I was looking at Cowon AW2, and realize its not sold by a US based seller, i've previously owned MP3 players by Cowon, that were build to last and still have them (though dont use them), so here is a question.. does dashcam require after sales service after a few years of use mandatory?

If these are set it, forget it mechanism you dont really need to meddle with it, and it remains untouched in the car, then these should last long.. right? I trust cowon, but does these things go bad or require post sales service frequent? I am kinda desperate for a 2 channel solution that that has a 1080p cameras, has all the required wiring, fuses, and required accessories in one box. And i have arrived to a conclusion that there are is no definitiv 2 channel solution in the market.
But this product looks top of the line, really well built and so far dont hear any complains on the forum.
You touched on one issue of two channel solutions and that's having all your eggs in one basket. If it breaks you're without a camera. Most of us use needing a rear camera as our excuse/reason to buy another camera. It's cheaper than buying more cars to get more cameras.

Niko did a few reviews on Cowon if you search on here. It's not all that popular in the forums at least.
Panorama S/G/X1/X2 has low RMA, but anything is possible with electronics from time to time. If there is any issue I make things right lightning fast.
A dashcam should be a set it and forget operation. You rarely will want to make any settings changes etc once setup.
Two X1's is a good Dual Channel solution today. If you got the X2, it still uses two microSD cards so nearly the same. (but X2 front camera is too big in the front for some)
Other 2015 dual channel remote lens products are in early development phases but not right around the corner.

You are a US seller, and i am sure you realize the problem with our country, the S/G/X1/X2 screams for come see me and rip me apart from the car. And a city like Chicago, thats on the top of the car theft and crime scene, this is an invitation to get robbed.
The X1 is a good option, but again, u r spending over 400 dollars if you plan to install two of these in your car.

Recently my wife was tailgated, and followed for a while, she had to call the cops, but the guy was never apprehended cos she didnt have the license plate number. I've heard tons of stories in the downtown about various incidents and the rear cam coming to your rescue. I've been tailgated and rammed from the rear in my previous cars, and still auto insurance not completely satisfied with the claims. :(

I found this thread by Niko on the Cowon AW2 here, atleast the PQ, the wifi, parking, athetics, and all the other features a top dashcam has, looks like this covers all. If i was planning for a Mobis i would still be spending atleast 200 on two cams, on x2 maybe 400+ the cowon can be had for around 300, everything included. I am still reading this, please stop me if i am going wrong.

Niko's comments
"Cowon AW series is high Q built. A lot of functions, overall discrete design, has a 24/7 parking mode, but unfort it uses batteries instead of supercaps and has a low bit-rate.
U may also have a look at Blackvue 750 series, but read feedback from buyers as well. I never had it, so I can not judge. Russians hacked its firmware and it performs OK with customs FW however any "customs diy" may void warranty and nobody can tell how it will affect device on long run.
U may also have a look at Marcus M5.
For me formfactor is also important but unfortunately nobody yet produces discrete 2ch solution that would fit my needs so I am using Panorama X2. In some near future there might be also a Panorama X1 which I might buy 2 set and use as a 2ch."

Niko would be the best man to ask about it. Being a battery cam means it would have to be removed when parked in very cold and very hot temps.

Niko's comments
"Cowon AW series is high Q built. A lot of functions, overall discrete design, has a 24/7 parking mode, but unfort it uses batteries instead of supercaps and has a low bit-rate.
U may also have a look at Blackvue 750 series, but read feedback from buyers as well. I never had it, so I can not judge. Russians hacked its firmware and it performs OK with customs FW however any "customs diy" may void warranty and nobody can tell how it will affect device on long run.
U may also have a look at Marcus M5.
For me formfactor is also important but unfortunately nobody yet produces discrete 2ch solution that would fit my needs so I am using Panorama X2. In some near future there might be also a Panorama X1 which I might buy 2 set and use as a 2ch."

Niko would be the best man to ask about it. Being a battery cam means it would have to be removed when parked in very cold and very hot temps.

I dont know what i would do without you on this forum. no doubt others are very helpful too, but ppl like yourself are assets to forums like these. I am very active on various other forums, and keep guiding other folks about my areas of interests. I hate it when ppl flame, or show attitude to noobs.

Thanks for pointing out Niko's quote, i had high hopes on the Cowon. So it looks like our assertion about a 2ch dash cam is spot on, and none of the brands, or makes satisfy the the requirements of a decent setup.
Or is it that we are too anal about taking our requirements to the highest degree of perfection.
I wonder if a tad low PQ or non perfect 2ch dashcam such as the Blackvue DR650gw or the 750gw suffices the requirements for most?
I like the X1 thats going to be released, but is it worth the wait? worth 400 for two cams?

X1 is a short wait, our large shipment is on the way via DHL as we speak. I've been waiting for a remote camera by wire solution with Panorama specs for a long time, so pretty excited to make this available to all.

I've had quite a few disappointed former blackvue customers make the switch to Panorama over the last few months. We would sell Blackvue if they had higher quality standards, but not a fan at the moment.

My "opinion" is not to spend a lot of money for your first. You sound as if you have an ideal setup, yet without ever using a dash camera it's hard to know what that is. So maybe I can help you narrow it down.

Wide angle or a more of an SLR view?
Wide angle allows you to see a wide FOV yet will make cars and objects seem further away. So maybe when you say he just missed me, the wide angle will make him look not that close. On the other side you can see things that happen side to side at an intersection. Narrow will give you a fender to fender view and cars will look as close as you see them. So tailgaters look as close as they are and license plate are easier to read. Disadvantage is you can't see things as wide at intersections.

Indicator lights?
I prefer my cameras to have recording indicator lights. This helps me to see that the camera is in fact, recording. Now with that said some have none and some have them in a location that isn't natural to see while in your normal driving position. So far my favorite is the Mini 0806, with 3 lights informing me of 3 settings working perfect, which helps because it's in my rear window. The Mobius has a nice rear light which is to see while driving, while the M10 forces me to stop and really look because it's on the top.

Locking files
How easy is it to reach is the button to lock files? This is important, especially the first few months when you will save every mistake everybody else makes to show how good you drive and then post those videos here. It's normal, most people do it. Look it as evolution, gaining experience and sharing. So is the button to lock the file prominent and eay to hit while driving and how does it save that file. Does it save 30 secs, a whole clip or 2 clips. I had a situation that happened at the end of a clip so it only saved part of the incident.

Mounting location
Where will you mount it and how often will you take it with you. Of course with your weather, you will want a capacitor camera yet how often for theft reasons or other reasons will you remove it? For example I remove mine a lot because it's a battery cam and I use it outside the car. Mine has a metal tripod mount which spins on and of easy so no problem or fiddling. The Mini 0806 has a mount that the more your remove it the looser it gets, so consider that. Try to find your perfect mounting location and which camera fits it well.

Parking mode
How important is parking mode to you? If it's very important you will need to hardwire the camera to a circuit that feeds continuos power when the car is off. There are two types: Simple Motion Detect and Pre Buffer. Both use motion detection, yet the pre buffer will include some video before the actual motion was detected so its a much better system if you plan to use it. Also keep in mind that MD is useless for catching a vandal or thief, especially if he takes your car. I've used MD with success yet the MD in most cameras will activate for so many things like leaves, wind and light changes so you film a lot of useless stuff so I don't use it much anymore.

Ok I hope that helps. I didn't mention video quality because of course you will get a good quality camera, this was just to help you narrow it down. It's not perfect peeps, so no need to correct me. Oh wait this a forum, so nevermind :p

Last edited:
Back