What are the things to look for in a DashCam? Plus a few questions of my own

Discrete is the number one thing I look for so the Mobius and Mini 0805/0806 would be a great choice.

I'd add versatility, reliability and support. I chose Mobius. I can use it off car for free hand shooting clips and still photos by just pointing, , audio recording by having it in my shirt pocket. Great technical backup from Isoprop and here.

So guys, is there a way to wire the Mobius directly to the electronic circuit using the fuse instead of plugging into the cigerette ligther slot? For the Blackvue dash cam they provide an additional kit namely the Power Magic Pro, what exactly is this? and additional fuses are requred that goes into your cars electonic fuse box circuit.
Also is this something that can be done for the upcoming X1.
Pier28, i have a question for you, with the X1 the lcd is mandatory? i see the lcd monitor hardwired seperately and can be placed anywhere on the car, but if someone doesnt want to wire that, and remove the entire lcd version, instead just use the dash cam, will that work?

All cameras can be hardwired and the LCD is the dashcam on the X1 somthere is no way to remove it. You can use the Power Magic Pro with any camera as well

The CPU/microSD card is in the main unit. X1 camera alone won't function. That would be like buying a USB web cam without a computer.

The X1 takes 12v straight in with no conversion. Most others are USB powered and will need 5v adapters.

The X1 has pre-buffered motion detection meaning it will capture seconds leading up to the g-sensor or motion triggered event. Most others don't have this parking mode feature.

It will be in stock in 3 days.

thanks for your replies, so in order to have to cams front and rear u will have two monitors in your car?

It's the shape and profile of your rearview mirror.
Holds up to 512GB too

nBhFP47.jpg

Fine if your RVM is Black not so good if it is like mine - 'Light Grey...

Same light grey RVM here, planned to take it off and paint it black, but i have not gotten around to do that yet.

Allso a option, but since i am also a skilled painter i will just go to one of my former work places, take the rvm off and cover the parts not needing paint, and then paint it and let it go in the oven untill paint is dry enuff to handle, and then put it back in the car where it can finish drying.

There is some advantages of not burning any bridges behind you when you leave a work place :D

My problem is getting myself together to do anything, but thats hard when i cant hardly manage to get out ther door and let alone see other ppl.

Allso a option, but since i am also a skilled painter i will just go to one of my former work places, take the rvm off and cover the parts not needing paint, and then paint it and let it go in the oven untill paint is dry enuff to handle, and then put it back in the car where it can finish drying.

There is some advantages of not burning any bridges behind you when you leave a work place

Good idea son - I will just pop over the North Sea and you can do mine and I will let you remove it also as it is a real 'buggers jiggler' to get off:D

Or go to my local MB Stealer and purchase another before I do that I will need to get a bank loan to cover costs:rolleyes:

Might be simpler to paint the dash cam...

:) its "funny" how some simple things are made overly complex :rolleyes: my mirror is just 2 screws and 30 seconds of work to get out, but then again i allso drive one of the cheapest cars Suzuki make.

If needed just say when, i will be glad to help in any way i can.

anyone tried Vico Marcus 5 dashcam? they are 2ch full hd for both front and rear.

Off the top of my head the Marcus 5 is the Aptina AR0330 sensor - older tech compared to the newer dual channel cameras using the Sony IMX322 and I'm sure we'll probably see some dual channel OV4689 at some point too. Two X1s on an X2 would beat it. I'm running the Panorama X2 here and I'm intrigued by the Lukas LK7950 that's just been launched.

Pizdys did a comparison of a few cameras and you can see the M5 is a dark image:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/vico-marcus-5-vs-ls330w-vs-ls460w-vs-g1wh.7442/

The DOD LS460W from that comparison is using the IMX322 same as the higher end stuff coming out at the moment.

I'll have a nosey as he's done a Marcus 4 (OV4689) compared to the LS460W somewhere too :)

Off the top of my head the Marcus 5 is the Aptina AR0330 sensor - older tech compared to the newer dual channel cameras using the Sony IMX322 and I'm sure we'll probably see some dual channel OV4689 at some point too. Two X1s on an X2 would beat it. I'm running the Panorama X2 here and I'm intrigued by the Lukas LK7950 that's just been launched.

Pizdys did a comparison of a few cameras and you can see the M5 is a dark image:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/vico-marcus-5-vs-ls330w-vs-ls460w-vs-g1wh.7442/

The DOD LS460W from that comparison is using the IMX322 same as the higher end stuff coming out at the moment.

I'll have a nosey as he's done a Marcus 4 (OV4689) compared to the LS460W somewhere too :)

The DOD LS460W and the Lukas model you mentioned looks great in PQ. Sadly the DOD is still 1 channel.
I have dropped the Marcus 5 from my list. I think i am starting to lean towards X2 and still have the blackvue in the back of my mind. Blackvue just cos of form factor and the convenience of having every single accessory packaged in the box that i would ever need to hardwire and install this. But still i am keeping my options for a 2ch dashcam open.

What the hell is wrong with American entrepreneurs, they keep complaining about manufacturing moving to China and India, but no ones coming up with a great idea on a dashcam? :/

Actually there is an incoming solution from Pier28 and Jokiin - not sure of the exact specs but day performance looked great!

It was a rearview mirror replacement though - not a bad thing but something to bear in mind in regards to vehicle compatibility :)

I thought about replacing the X2 with two X1s but to be honest I've had the X2 in the car since October and no one has tried to nick it yet :)

Back