What are the things to look for in a DashCam? Plus a few questions of my own

I dont think so ( i have never used the OTG cable )
But you can just leave the batteries in the cameras for the install / lineup, and then when that is done replace them with the capasitors.
Me personal i would never bother with that, and just line them up by eye like i have done with all my dashcams.

guys do i need this if i am hardwiring both the mobius cam?

81IHcbdBWuL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00ENN5XKM

A fuse tap like that is the easiest way to get switched power. However, you can add a fuse box or wire your car in other ways. As a FYI I bought 3 fuse taps when I needed one from ebay. I paid $2 each from China. That and some decent gauge wire (cheap for a short length) with a cigarette lighter and usb adapter or a wired usb adapter will get your power where it is needed.

Last edited:
The fuse tap allows you to tap into a car circuit like the radio which is already switched on and off with the ignition. It is the easiest and quickest solution. Paying a professional for installation I would absolutely get this type of fuse tap. When I finally buy and install dash cams I will be using one for that purpose. The only catch is make sure that you are not risking overloading your circuit. 2 amps extra should not be a problem. The radio is a good circuit because if the fuse does blow you will notice it quickly and it seems the radio circuit always has room for extra power usage.

Other methods are either more difficult to wire or risk doing damage to the factory fuse holders. The super cheap clip on the fuse leg taps are known for this when the tap is removed.

The fuse tap allows you to tap into a car circuit like the radio which is already switched on and off with the ignition. It is the easiest and quickest solution. Paying a professional for installation I would absolutely get this type of fuse tap. When I finally buy and install dash cams I will be using one for that purpose. The only catch is make sure that you are not risking overloading your circuit. 2 amps extra should not be a problem. The radio is a good circuit because if the fuse does blow you will notice it quickly and it seems the radio circuit always has room for extra power usage.

Other methods are either more difficult to wire or risk doing damage to the factory fuse holders. The super cheap clip on the fuse leg taps are known for this when the tap is removed.

Thanks for your reply. ok a last question on this topic.
The amazon seller will not be able to ship the item this week, but probably will arrive next week.
And am planning to get this installed this friday.. if all the cam from buymobius arrives this week from MA.
Does the fuse tap has to be of exact this type, or can i get something else from amazon with next day shipping (prime)? A link will help a lot bro.

Advance auto and most other parts stores will have this in stock. Expect to pay about $10. The fuse may or may not be included.

This is the only fuse tap I would suggest for the blade type fuses. Make sure you have the right size fuse. the blade fuses come in 3 different sizes. I suspect you have chosen the right one just be sure.

Here is a list of ebay sellers with the part based in north America.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Mini+Blade+Fuse+Tap&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3

Advance auto and most other parts stores will have this in stock. Expect to pay about $10. The fuse may or may not be included.

This is the only fuse tap I would suggest for the blade type fuses. Make sure you have the right size fuse. the blade fuses come in 3 different sizes. I suspect you have chosen the right one just be sure.

Here is a list of ebay sellers with the part based in north America.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Mini+Blade+Fuse+Tap&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3

Thanks for your replies and the link buddy, So i stepped into the local Auto Zone, and the first question they asked me was, which fuse do you want to tap into, based on that he can give me the correct fuse size.
So which fuse is ideal to hardwire this to? Please note, i might be using this cam on parking mode as well every once in a while when i am parking downtime (once or twice a month).

Forgive my opinion here, yet if you can afford a Masserati and in general the car is new and under warranty, might I suggest that you hire someone to wire these cameras. Not that you will cause any damage, it's more to the fact that the dealer may find an excuse should anything happen or when you bring the car in for normal service. I have a friend who installs systems and in his early days of tapping into the fuse box, damage was done.

I would check your fuse box. It should have a description panel. Either the radio and cigarette lighter circuits is what I would use. However, some cars have cigarette lighters that are always on so that will not work.

Forgive my opinion here, yet if you can afford a Masserati and in general the car is new and under warranty, might I suggest that you hire someone to wire these cameras. Not that you will cause any damage, it's more to the fact that the dealer may find an excuse should anything happen or when you bring the car in for normal service. I have a friend who installs systems and in his early days of tapping into the fuse box, damage was done.

Yes sir, that is the plan. I will be getting it installed by a pro, he does a good job, but as i called him and hyped him over all the setup, he was like.. "dont worry, i'll get it done to the standard, but if you have any specific demand, or want it to be tapped into a specific slot i will get it done for you, just let me know which fuse u want me to tap into", i was like.. duh!! now u got me. I told him, i am not aware but i will let you know by tomorrow.
Actually this is going into my wife's car, she is the one who gets chased and tailgated, she drives a MDX. Last time she was tailgated, and followed, and we couldnt find who it was. Second time, though she called the cops, and waited at a gas station, but again no details of the tailgater.
Thats the reason i was keen on the 2channel cam. Though its been weeks, it has never happened again, but i am keen on nailing it once for and all. Plus i'd like to have one installed in my other cars as well once we have it installed in the MDX.

I would check your fuse box. It should have a description panel. Either the radio and cigarette lighter circuits is what I would use. However, some cars have cigarette lighters that are always on so that will not work.

Ok, thanks a good lead. Thanks for that. So ideally i should be looking at a fuse that is not always on?
But if i want to use the parking mode once in a while. how will that work if the fuse is not processing power?

Yes sir, that is the plan. I will be getting it installed by a pro, he does a good job, but as i called him and hyped him over all the setup, he was like.. "dont worry, i'll get it done to the standard, but if you have any specific demand, or want it to be tapped into a specific slot i will get it done for you, just let me know which fuse u want me to tap into", i was like.. duh!! now u got me. I told him, i am not aware but i will let you know by tomorrow.
Actually this is going into my wife's car, she is the one who gets chased and tailgated, she drives a MDX. Last time she was tailgated, and followed, and we couldnt find who it was. Second time, though she called the cops, and waited at a gas station, but again no details of the tailgater.
Thats the reason i was keen on the 2channel cam. Though its been weeks, it has never happened again, but i am keen on nailing it once for and all. Plus i'd like to have one installed in my other cars as well once we have it installed in the MDX.
Oh then definitely go narrow on your rear camera so you can get a close up of the driver.

Thats the reason, i've been asking for a discreet cam since the start of this thread. And something that is tack sharp.
Thats the reason i went around comparing lens C with narrow vision and Lens B in wide mode on the other thread.
Lens A will not do justice at night. I was thinking the lens c would be good at night, and could pull the license plate info at night as well.

In addition to what was already mentioned (I must admit I didn't read through all 74+ posts, I found (in no apparent order):

1. local support
2. North American company or a dashcam company (not reseller) that is based in your country of origin
3. the ease of upgradability of the firmware is definitely on my top list,
4. great night vision
5. wide angle
6. able to withstand the sun's glare and also reflective glass glare (protective coating on lens or polarizer built in)
7. ease of removal
8. user friendly and easy viewing software
9. dashcam technical details in it's config file eg. did the cam reboot on it's own (unsafe shutdown)
10. ability to withstand hot environment temps (in car)
11. microSD vs Regular SD size cards
12. Better video quality suitable to capture license plates eg. on the highway when cars are racing by you
13. camera alarm (if someone steals the dashcam it emits a loud ear piercing siren) and won't work without a passcode
14. stealth integration
15. motion sensor (parking) detection
16. lower power consumption
17. large easy to read manuals in PDF or on CD in English
18. user replaceable lens

I am sure there are more, those are some that came to mind.

Last edited:
Back