what cameras fit my desires?

GHOSTOWLGRID

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been looking and reading many sites and reviews and I have a hard time finding something that is good quality and will last me.

It must have:
1080p minimum
GPS
Audio
Front camera
Auto lock in event of collision (G Sensor)

I am looking at the Ivation GW18.
What do you think of this unit? Will it fit for me?

Ability to view any possible acident footage on scene would be prefferable but not mandatory.

Ideally i want to have a rear cammera as well because of the last few encounters I had were all from behind.

I would like really good detail especially at night. I want to capture that license plate because sometimes I cant read it fast enough.

Do you think a rear cammera is a must?
Does a front only camera do good enough?
What if someone hits your rear and claims you brake checked them?
Will a front only cammera be sufficient to protect you from this fraud?

Ivation GW18 on Amazon has a ton of reviews that are not marked Verified Purchase. (which generally means fake hype) That's not a good way to earn trust of real customers for starters that's for sure

I would also avoid a dashcam that uses a battery instead of a super capacitor especially once summer roles along. (and long term)

Best night performance today is 1080P with Sony IMX322
(larger pixels captures more light than many super HD systems)

Welcome ghostowlgrid.

You dont need a rear camera, if some one said you have been brake checking them it would allso be visible in the footage from a front installed camera.
The front of your would dive a little when you stomp the brake, and you would allso see any significant decrease in speed in the footage itself. ( lane markings and stuff alongside the road suddenly rush by at a lower speed then before )
GPS speed will allso record a sudden lower speed i assume.

Having a rear camera is nice, but it should not be on top of your mind, just get a good trustworthy front camera, and then you can allways add a cheap moobius or somthing in the rear.

I have been looking and reading many sites and reviews and I have a hard time finding something that is good quality and will last me.

It must have:
1080p minimum
GPS
Audio
Front camera
Auto lock in event of collision (G Sensor)

I am looking at the Ivation GW18.
What do you think of this unit? Will it fit for me?

Ability to view any possible acident footage on scene would be prefferable but not mandatory.

Ideally i want to have a rear cammera as well because of the last few encounters I had were all from behind.

I would like really good detail especially at night. I want to capture that license plate because sometimes I cant read it fast enough.

Do you think a rear cammera is a must?
Does a front only camera do good enough?
What if someone hits your rear and claims you brake checked them?
Will a front only cammera be sufficient to protect you from this fraud?

I think a rear camera is helpful, but not a must. I recently was side swiped by someone who cut the solid line during a merge, trying to pass all the merging traffic, but didn't take into account the traffic already on the freeway and pulled back into me and claimed I merged into him. A front camera would have shown I kept my lane, but a back camera would have shown him crossing the solid line and then pulling back into me. It wouldn't have necessarily been more helpful, but it would have collaborated my story of the event. I think a Mobius is a good rear camera also, you don't need GPS in both front and rear IMO.

No camera will guarantee you being able to read plates. Living in the US most plates are reflective; unless they are city or truck plates from what I've seen and the only way to get a clear image is to quickly switch to daytime lights or possibly fog lights. Your best bet is to say out loud what you see in the moment and hopefully you can sift through footage to find what you need and piece it together.

Do you have a price point you want to keep within?

I like the mobius idea for a rear cammera.
Its not a must at the moment but its probably helpful.

I would like to spend for a front camera about 150-200 at most ideally.
However I understand a quality product will cost so I am willing to spend up to 300 alone for the front cammera however I would like to spend less if possible. Give or take a little.
This is not counting the micro sd card.

I like the super capacitor instead of battery idea.

I have a pair of pivothead glasses that have a cammera in them. Perscription lenses. I sometimes use them but they are very limited. However they do 1080p at 30 FPS. Its pretty good quality. Im looking for at least that or better video quality.
The license plates are actually readible in those glasses but not when they record at 720p at 60fps. Thats during daylight.
Night time with them recording while I drive is actually pretty good considering no IR.
But like I said they are limited in capacity and battery. I never bought them for car recording anyways however I've tried it.

You mentioned the Sony INX322. This got me looking at the 2015 PowerUUC Panorama S.
What are your thoughts on this?
I see it has a GPS antenna seperate.
Looks like a seperate purchase...

I also see the Timec Road Hawk 1080p HD cam. Its only 190 dollars on sale from the normal 400 price I saw several months back.
What do you think? Doesnt seem to have any battery or capacitor but thats fine.
It takes a standard SD card so that means bigger memory with less cost because I know microSD costs.

Micro SD cards are cheaper, now too.
I'd stick with a dashcam that has a following online, and info/support independent of any site that sells them. If you buy a cam that has been put through the wringer by overzealous enthusiasts like on this site, your chances of being able to fix the frequent quirks and minor problems yourself are much greater.
If you like the mobius, get one now, use in front, then decide later which other cam you want as a second cam. :)

I like the mobius idea for a rear camera.
I would like to spend for a front camera about 150-200 at most ideally.
However I understand a quality product will cost so I am willing to spend up to 300 alone for the front cammera however I would like to spend less if possible. Give or take a little.
This is not counting the micro sd card.

I like the super capacitor instead of battery idea.

The license plates are actually readible in those glasses but not when they record at 720p at 60fps. Thats during daylight.
Night time with them recording while I drive is actually pretty good considering no IR.
But like I said they are limited in capacity and battery. I never bought them for car recording anyways however I've tried it.

You mentioned the Sony INX322. This got me looking at the 2015 PowerUUC Panorama S.
What are your thoughts on this?
I see it has a GPS antenna seperate.
Looks like a seperate purchase...

I also see the Timec Road Hawk 1080p HD cam. Its only 190 dollars on sale from the normal 400 price I saw several months back.
What do you think? Doesnt seem to have any battery or capacitor but thats fine.
It takes a standard SD card so that means bigger memory with less cost because I know microSD costs.

If you like the Mobius, check out the JooVuu X

Sony IMX322 cameras: SG9665GC, SGZC12SS, SGZC12SG, SGZC12RC, Panorama S
The SGZC12SG has GPS built in, the SG9665GC has external GPS. (comes with it) The Panorama S GPS is also external and doesn't come with it.

Timec Road Hawk 1080p HD isn't talked about much in the forum, and the 1 & 2 star reviews on Amazon are a bit unsettling. (IMO)

Can the JooVuu X be hardwired yet? My OCD won't allow hanging wires to be in my view, but I want one SO bad!

For night recording, from what I've seen on the forums (and given I haven't been on them long) SG and DOD seem to do great at night. Mobius is average, unless you're in a well lit area, and then it's a little bit better, but I don't often drive back roads in the night. What's nice about starting with a Mobius is it can be moved to the rear when say another camera I want has the ability to be hardwired..................:)

We had a few people buy the JooVuu X and they hard wired it using the PANOBDP Motopark. This also gives you the option to toggle between switched ACC/unswitched BAT power.

We had a few people buy the JooVuu X and they hard wired it using the PANOBDP Motopark. This also gives you the option to toggle between switched ACC/unswitched BAT power.

I do remember seeing the power magic pro. I just don't like the idea of having to hide such a thing, but it would allow the use of the GPS function still I reckon. Hmmm....

Back