What dashcam for a shaky motorhome (camping car)?

LinAdmin

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hi. I am new to this forum because I hope to get well informed answers to my special problem:

I do continuously record film and GPS when traveling with my motor home because years later I enjoy looking the films, and the GPS perfectly shows where we had traveled about. My former dash cam HP f310, which passed away, made good film on smooth streets. However on shaky unmade roads images got distorted due to the rolling shutter effect.

This is comparable to filming the rotating propeller of a plane: The straight blades become curved (like broken) because the object moves while the shutter is open. The effect is weaker when exposing times are shorter in good sunlight and worst in cloudy weather.

Reading a lot of tests for current dash cams I never found remarks about this, and test films on YouTube are made with normal cars on good streets where this does not happen.

So my question is, what cam with GPS would you recommend and why do you think it will avoid the rolling shutter?

Many thanks and regards from Switzerland!
PS: Typing errors are all mine ;)

When you see Jello in the footage its often due to the mounting system used, as long as the camera rattle with the windscreen / car it should be fine.
I have no problems driving my car at any sane speed on washboard dirt roads in the forest.
You are right testers do seem to bypass testing on uneven dirt roads, and we are after all a few people that get out on those once in a while.
That HP camera of yours, i bet it was on a suction cup mount

get a camera that mounts directly to the windscreen rather than one which hangs off its mount and you won't get that jello effect

Many thanks kamkar1 and jokiin for your suggestions. I was well aware of the bad effects resulting from an insufficiently rigid mounting. Therefore I had added an adhesive mounting from the lower edge of the cam body directly to the windshield.

There can be no doubt that the rolling shutter effect becomes disturbing when the car shakes too strong. This is only visible in older motor homes which exhibit that very special kind of shaking.

I had a rental IVECO truck not long ago, used the SG8665XS in it ( suction cup camera ) it too had a little jello in the recording from the shaky rental truck.

Same camera in my car have no problems, though i have not tested it on a forest road as we normally change to my friends station wagon when we go for a drive in the forest with our little RC trucks.

I am thinking the mobilhome of yours may be something of the same, maybe even worse.

Back