What hardwire kit

wwp8

Reaction score
Sorry guys I know this is getting boring now. I am still struggling to get a hardwire kit. Not just want one that has a micro usb end and that is reliable.

I looked at eBay and amazon but either the reviews mention how bad they are or the quality looks very poor/interference with radio etc.

What do you guys use or which ones are reliable?

I've been using Vico and also Multi Safers battery protects in cars but the Nextbase hardwire only in the trucks (mini not micro) but I'm going to upgrade them all to Multi Safers so that I can use the supplied power leads. For the sake of an extra £20 I think it is worth keeping as much original dashcam kit as possible to ensure reliability.

I just was trying to find a good option myself and finally gave up. Also, I wanted to have flexibility of using many dash cams that might use different power plugs so I installed what jokiin mentioned above. This is specifically the one I specifically used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00WK0P15C
I installed this maybe two hours ago in my car and it worked great. Now to wire any new camera I just have to plug it in in seconds. The whole thing tucks up under my dash easily so I'm happy with this and I will always be using the OEM power adapters.

Check
http://www.thedashcamstore.com/universal-dash-cam-quick-installation-kit/

And

There is a discount code too. I have used it and works fine.
Also look up the youtube video by techmoan on the celllink battery and read the comments at the top. There is information on which direction the fuse tap should be oriented to ensure the battery/dash cam is protected by its own fuse etc.

I don't understand... what is the purpose of these type of "dumb" hardwire kits that doesn't allow low voltage cut-off, timer, option to switch between Always-on or Accessory, etc? Why spend money and time to install a "dumb" hardware kit, when you can simply plug it into a cigarette socket?

I don't think people install these kit as "Always-on" because it would drain your battery if you forget to turn off your dashcam.

Can anyone explain the reason why you would chose this "dumb" hardwire kit (US$40) that cost more than the Power Magic Pro ($25). Or a bit more for the Vico Power Plus ($52)?

Last edited:
Before I got a Vico Power Plus, all my cams were hardwired to an ACC source. No other reason for me other than to have the cabin look clean and factory, while leaving the power port open for other more temporary accessories.

I don't understand... what is the purpose of these type of "dumb" hardwire kits that doesn't allow low voltage cut-off, timer, option to switch between Always-on or Accessory, etc? Why spend money and time to install a "dumb" hardware kit, when you can simply plug it into a cigarette socket?

I don't think people install these kit as "Always-on" because it would drain your battery if you forget to turn off your dashcam.

Can anyone explain the reason why you would chose this "dumb" hardwire kit ($52.69) that cost more than the Power Magic Pro ($25) or Vico Power Plus ($52)?

Where do you see $52.69? The one I listed is $40.00 and includes the fuse tap etc. The "dumb" kit as you call it is just for tidying up the wiring and freeing your cigarette lighter. Its up to you if you want to spend the money or not.

I can understand keeping the wiring clean, but wonder why people not just buy something like a Power Magic Pro for less money. These dumb hardwire kits are not cheap. The one above is US$40! What's the point? Why is there even a market for them? Are people just misinformed? Just get a Power Magic Pro (US$25) for a basic "Smart" kit, or the Vico Power Plus (US$52) if you want more bells & whistle.

Last edited:
@mpcp, sorry I simply clicked the link and it gave it to me in Canadian price. Your are right, it is US$40... but it is still much more than the popular Power Magic Pro (a "smart" kit) for US$25 "Fullfilled by Amazon.com"!

Last edited:
I can understand keeping the wiring clean, but wonder why people not just buy something like a Power Magic Pro for less money. These dumb hardwire kits are not cheap. The one above is US$40! What's the point? Why is there even a market for them? Are people just misinformed? Just get a Power Magic Pro (US$25) for a basic "Smart" kit, or the Vico Power Plus (US$52) if you want more bells & whistle.

Yeah, sorry. I realized afterwards that you were in Canada and it was the Canadian equivalent. Well I knew about the powermagic pro etc. but you need the extra fuse tap and having to attach it etc. Sure it probably is not a big deal to some people but to others who don't want the hassle and just want an all in one package ready to go...the extra price is worth it. And it wasn't that much more, the fuse tap and extra fuse would probably cost you an extra $8US which would bring the total to $33 US. The dumb kit cost me $36 after the 10% discount. And since I wasn't ever going to link it to a continuously powered circuit, I went with the easier approach.

oooh yeah, sorry missed the price on that one. No way I'd pay that. I personally use these type converters linked below, work great. I'm to the point now where I just tap into the ACC line after the fuse box - no need for an add-a-fuse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00XDSA82Q

As @Yooshaw already pointed out, the reason some of us choose to use these "dumb" hardwire kits is for a cleaner install that doesn't require sacrificing a cigarette lighter. I would also like to add -- in response to your point about choosing btw ACC and constant power -- that in my setup I flush mounted a SPDT switch that allows me to toggle btw powering my dash cam from either ACC or constant power. I have @jokiin to thank for the idea.

Also, I noticed you're based in Canada so I can't speak for your prices but here in the US a hardwire kit can be had off Amazon btw $8-15 (free shipping) -- https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hardwire+kit -- which is cheaper than the Power Magic Pro.

Lastly, I personally don't worry about coming to a dead battery because I drive my vehicle every other day (so battery is often recharged) and have left my dash cam running for 3 days straight with no need for a jump start. But in the event it does die, I have a portable jump start kit in my trunk the size of a lunch box.

I do make a habit of leaving the switch in the ACC position most of the time though.

Last edited:
To each their own, but personally, even by your low prices of $8-15, I'd rather spend $10-17 more and get the the Power Magic Pro. It accomplishes the clean install, save a cigarette lighter as you said, but add features such as a timer and voltage protection, and the toggle switch is included by design (so you don't have to pay extra). The installation process is the same too.

In your scenario, add the cost of a toggle switch and your savings is even less.

My initial reaction was because the link provided by @mpcp lead me to a US$40 dumb hardwire kit which I didn't think make any economic sense.

Last edited:
To each their own, but personally, even by your low prices of $8-15, I'd rather spend $10-17 more and get the the Power Magic Pro. It accomplishes the clean install, save a cigarette lighter as you said, but add features such as a timer and voltage protection, and the toggle switch is included by design (so you don't have to pay extra). The installation process is the same too.

In your scenario, add the cost of a toggle switch and your savings is even less.

My initial reaction was because the link provided by @mpcp lead me to a US$40 dumb hardwire kit which I didn't think make any economic sense.

As you said, to each their own. But I would like to point out that IMO, after taking a look at the form factor of the Power Magic Pro, mounting it (in order to have seamless access to the built in toggle switch) could be a challenge on certain vehicles where dash layout design doesn't allow for much additional real estate for added mods.

In comparison , here is a pic of the switch I mounted...

Also, the switches were $0.50/piece off eBay. Thus, negligible in the total cost of the project

2015-10-07%2001-05-42%20am_zps1nqlep3j.jpg

Last edited:
That look nice! But you can add the same toggle switch to the Power Magic Pro too, and accomplished the exact same goal (seemless access toggle switch, hidden wires, save a cigarette socket, clean look, etc).

Just hide the Power Magic Pro like you would with a dumb kit, and you'd never have to see it again. Just take it out to customize your programming as needed.

Again, I believe a "smart" hardwire kit is worth it (for only $10-17 more) for all the extra features. The only advantage of a dumb kit is saving $10-17. I am wrong?

As you said, to each their own. But I would like to point out that IMO, after taking a look at the form factor of the Power Magic Pro, mounting it (in order to have seamless access to the built in toggle switch) could be a challenge on certain vehicles where dash layout design doesn't allow for much additional real estate for added mods.

In comparison , here is a pic of the switch I mounted...

Also, the switches were $0.50/piece off eBay. Thus, negligible in the total cost of the project

2015-10-07%2001-05-42%20am_zps1nqlep3j.jpg

Nice install, love it!

That look nice! But you can add the same toggle switch to the Power Magic Pro too, and accomplished the exact same goal (seemless access toggle switch, hidden wires, save a cigarette socket, clean look, etc).

Just hide the Power Magic Pro like you would with a dumb kit, and you'd never have to see it again. Just take it out to customize your programming as needed.

Again, I believe a "smart" hardwire kit is worth it (for only $10-17 more) for all the extra features. The only advantage of a dumb kit is saving $10-17. I am wrong?

I think you've got a great point. Looking back, I wish I had just got a BDP device from the get go. But you wouldn't get as clean an install as OmoP did. Well, maybe if you did some more wiring. I went for the Vico Power Plus, which is much more expensive, mainly for the over-temp feature.

That look nice! But you can add the same toggle switch to the Power Magic Pro too, and accomplished the exact same goal (seamless access toggle switch, hidden wires, save a cigarette socket, clean look, etc).

I won't say your "wrong" per say but it is important to consider other vantage points.

In your case, you clearly fancied all the added features that come with the PMP so the $10-17 was a steal. Personally, the only feature I would care for is the battery prevention. I don't use parking mode in any dash cam because it often results in false positives depending on how sensitive the motion sensor is. Also, 90% of the time, the dash cam will not capture the incident.

For example, if your vehicle was parked and someone hit your car and took off within 3-5secs, by the time the dash cam turns on it wouldn't have capture anything useful.

Most ppl get these "dumb" hardwire kits because they want the dash cam to come on/off with the ACC power. I only integrated a toggle switch so I could make my own "parking mode" function and know that if my vehicle was damaged while I was away, my dash cam would mostly have seen the complete incident.

Thus, to them the PMP wouldn't be needed because their dash cam comes on/off with the engine and so $10-17 extra would be a waste of money.

The YouTuber -- Techmoan -- talks about the limitation of parking mode in this video... Start @8:20 in the video

Nice install, love it!

Thnx! :)

Last edited:
I won't say your "wrong" per say but it is important to consider other vantage points.

In your case, you clearly fancied all the added features that come with the PMP so the $10-17 was a steal. Personally, the only feature I would care for is the battery prevention. I don't use parking mode in any dash cam because it often results in false positives depending on how sensitive the motion sensor is. Also, 90% of the time, the dash cam will not capture the incident.

For example, if your vehicle was parked and someone hit your car and took off within 3-5secs, by the time the dash cam turns on it wouldn't have capture anything useful.

Most ppl get these "dumb" hardwire kits because they want the dash cam to come on/off with the ACC power. I only integrated a toggle switch so I could make my own "parking mode" function and know that if my vehicle was damaged while I was away, my dash cam would mostly have seen the complete incident.

Thus, to them the PMP wouldn't be needed because their dash cam comes on/off with the engine and so $10-17 extra would be a waste of money.

The YouTuber -- Techmoan -- talks about the limitation of parking mode in this video... Start @8:20 in the video

Thnx! :)
Yeah man, that is one sweet install with the switch. Feel kind of foolish about the dumb kit and the expense when I could do so much more. Ah well. For the next time. Let me ask you this if you're using it for the parking mode which camera are you using because I live in the tropics with temps ranging up to 40C external the car at times. The majority of the times its 28-35C. I know you should use cameras with capacitors but I was wondering what peoples experience was with long term survivability of the camera in high temperature environments.

Can't be good, which is why I got a Vico Power Plus which has an over temperature shut off feature. You can configure it to turn off the dashcam at a user selected temperature, in addition to voltage cutoff, a timer, and off on switch.

Back