What is the best dashcam for collision detection?

blackjackel

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to purchase a dash cam for my mother who is very timid with driving, I want to get her something that will warn her of the possibility of collisions, also things like lane departure and stuff like that... it will help her ease into driving more... Which dash cam does those things the best?

You can disregard everything else like video and audio quality and things like that, at this point anything else other than the warning and detection systems is just a plus.

I just saw a video on the papago P3's collision detect system and it's NOT what I'm looking for because It only works by detecting that a car is too close, it does not account for how fast a car is coming at you... this would be immensely annoying to drive around in the city or in traffic because it would be constantly beeping that a car is too close.

I'm looking for a camera that can sense how fast a car is approaching and warn you for that reason, does this exist?

Some of the other members will chime in here but I will say I doubt you will find any good systems that are built into a dash cam. The technology needed, processing power, is used for the video processing; a good size computer is needed to do what you want by analyzing video. It is far easier to use ultrasonic or radar to determine speed and distance, this is how most newer cars do it. There are aftermarket systems to do this but cost way more than a dash cam.

LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System) is more of a marketing gimmick and doesn't work very well.
I would expect anyone that added similar collision warning system to result in the same false alarm annoyingness that would make you want to quickly turn the "feature" off

LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System) is more of a marketing gimmick and doesn't work very well.
I would expect anyone that added similar collision warning system to result in the same false alarm annoyingness that would make you want to quickly turn the "feature" off
LDWS on the mini 0806 does work, but it can't really tell the difference between a lane change you wanted to make and one you didn't want to make so you get alarms almost every time you cross a white line, the result is that it is only of use on the highway, only warns you after you have crossed the white line which maybe too late, and I'm not convinced an audible alarm will wake you up if you have fallen asleep anyway. I quite like it on the highway, useless around town.

FCWS is useless, doesn't alarm if I intentionally drive up close behind someone on the highway but does if I am parked in a car park with a vehicle parked in front, it is a nightmare around town.

The only answer for someone who is "who is very timid with driving" is plenty of practice when not accompanied by someone who is going to make things worse! Electronics will never sort the problem until they take over completely and you just select the destination.

Back