What is the best option FitCamx for my car?

spaceman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I am planning to get a FitcamX for my mazda 3 and was wondering if the 2k dual cam model is significantly worse than the 4k options. It seems like the SOC is exactly the same but the 4k models uses a better sensor. I am assuming this because the Video Pixel is 8MP vs 4MP in the 2k Dual Cam version. The reason I picked the FitcamX is that I like that it has a very OEM look and seems easy to install (odb or sunroof plug), I have never hardwired anything in a car before and don't feel really comfortable doing it.

I can get:

4K Single Front Cam for about $130 USD

2K Dual Cam for about $180 USD

4k Dual cam for about $225 USD.

At the moment, leaning towards the 4k Single Front Cam and then perhaps adding a rear cam later.

Any thoughts?

1689263776558.png

Be careful, most of the FitcamX dashcam's I've seen are not upgradeable from a single to a dual. You would have to purchase the dual right away. Read the fine print...

That being said.

I'd like to know if the difference in price between the FitcamX and the other similar units on AliExpress is worth it?

Thank you

The 4K version appears to use a 4MP sensor, thus is really only 2K, fake 4K, so you would be better off with the real 2K version, or alternatively with a real 4K camera from another manufacturer, presumably Viofo at that price level.

The 4K version appears to use a 4MP sensor, thus is really only 2K, fake 4K, so you would be better off with the real 2K version, or alternatively with a real 4K camera from another manufacturer, presumably Viofo at that price level.
So your saying both 4k versions actually use a 4MP sensor instead 8MP as it says? how did you get that info?

If that is true, I stupidly bought the 4k dual cam version and already received it.

So your saying both 4k versions actually use a 4MP sensor instead 8MP as it says? how did you get that info?
I haven't tested one myself, and haven't dismantled one to find out what is inside, which is why I used the words "appears to use", but yes, it appears their 4K versions have a 4MP sensor.

On the positive side, the 4K encoding in some of the 4MP sensored cameras can be quite good, tends to be reasonable bitrate and being 4K favours spacial resolution over temporal resolution and colour detail, which is what you want in a dashcam, so it might still be considered reasonable value, but it is still not real 4K, the sensor is only picking up half the detail, and you can't record what you can't see.

I found this comment on another site, not sure I can post a link here, but google will find it if you want to check:
Just had confirmation from FitcamX that the image sensor is a GalaxyCore GC4653 CMOS. Which is a 4 megapixel sensor so not 4k as advertised.
I've never been impressed by GalaxyCore sensors, the colours always seem very poor, although that might be because people use cheap plastic lenses to go with their cheap sensors! It has decent sized pixels, so should be OK as an accident camera.

If you are thinking of returning it, as I said before, check out the Viofo range, if they say 4K then it is real 4K using Sony 4K sensors.

I just installed my FitCamX for my SUV The only reason for my to buy a FitCamX is the ease of installation, that it takes the power from the front AAC camera/sensor. And so i do not have to hardwire in the fuse box. As my car is a plugin hybrid one, i don't want to take the risk to interfere my fuse box as the electric circuit of it might be a little difference.

In terms of image quality, i can't feel any 4K quality front videos even they were taken under board day light, the video is quite doggy compare to Thinkware or Blackvue 4K. But it is really easy to install and the cover fits perfectly as if they are original panels.

Its really super easy to install. that is the main benefit.

I've had the fitcamx for around 6 months now, ordered from aliexpress, first one had a broken mic and couldn't record any audio so they sent another one.
Second one worked for around 5 months and it basically stopped recording once i checked the footage and noticed the files were broken, i tried some new firmware but nothing. Third one is coming in the mail now but hesitant to continue using it, their support is great on aliexpress but the product quality is questionable, image quality is worse than my old 70mai a800s.
Only redeeming qualities of fitcamx is that no one can tell that you have a dashcam, but if it doesn't last then who cares?

Back