What is the largest capacity micro SD card being used by dashcamtalk users

My Transcend Premium 300X 64GB worked just one day. Now is in read only mode and I cannot recover it. Money lost. :(

enjoy,
Mtz
If the card is genuine it should have a (lifetime) guarantee. I would check the Transcend site and see if you can send it back for replacement. I did this with my Sandisks and there was no problem.
It looks as if Transcend now use the same embedded controller as Sandisk. Not good.
Although I never succeeded myself, some people were able to recover from the 'read-only' state by formatting their card with different programs/format parameters.

Although I never succeeded myself, some people were able to recover from the 'read-only' state by formatting their card with different programs/format parameters.
I was trying to format it with a lot of PC methods, programs, dashcams, android smartphone, kept in refrigerator for some time, etc...
Even tried the official program from Transcend.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Must acquire 64gb card! I just bought 3 mobius cameras, 2 for the car and 1 for the mountain bike.

how many of you used this card succesfully in the mobius with fully working loop mode
and for how long already?
64 gb holds 7,5h in full quality 1080p30?
is it ok for ~32$(converted) locally
probably cant get it cheaper shipped?
default.jpg

Just a question, whats wrong with the SanDisk controllers? Do these cameras not like the SanDisk controllers in their SD cards? Or is it because these devices were not built for the new higher standards these controllers offer, thus creating issues and people blaming the SD card manufactures?

In the photography business SanDisk SD cards are the recommended choice for a majority of professional photographers and videographers using Nikon/Canon devices.

I own several SanDisk cards, some dating back to 2007, still working just fine. Mind you I don't buy them online simply because of all the fakes you hear about.

Just a question, whats wrong with the SanDisk controllers? Do these cameras not like the SanDisk controllers in their SD cards? Or is it because these devices were not built for the new higher standards these controllers offer, thus creating issues and people blaming the SD card manufactures?

In the photography business SanDisk SD cards are the recommended choice for a majority of professional photographers and videographers using Nikon/Canon devices.

I own several SanDisk cards, some dating back to 2007, still working just fine. Mind you I don't buy them online simply because of all the fakes you hear about.
Your old cards will work perfectly! Unfortunately, back in, maybe 2011-2012, Sandisk started using a badly designed/badly tested controller, most likely in an attempt to obtain a faster throughput. If the card is stressed it will fail. 'Stressed' could be due to heat. All my Sandisk cards failed after extended recording times. Some cards just flipped permanently to read-only, others became non-readable. A Sandisk tech once told me the read-only flip was 'by design' to prevent a total loss of data. I have also had a Sandisk fail simply by reading it in my card reader! I can't remember exactly how many failed Sandisks I have had, but I think it's in the order of 5 or 6. I have never had any other card fail even though most of my cards are other brands. All my cards are genuine.
Before about 2011/2102 Sandisk were my favorite brand, but now I wouldn't even use one if I was given one for free, except for testing of course. The risk of losing all my data is just too high. I do, however, have a 128GB Sandisk, but I dread using it....
I know Sandisk (still) have a good name, but I don't know why - maybe because they are fast and failure rates aren't important? Or maybe they work OK when when they don't have to run in a confined area where heat could be a problem?

Reactions: Mtz
I know Sandisk (still) have a good name, but I don't know why - maybe because they are fast and failure rates aren't important? Or maybe they work OK when when they don't have to run in a confined area where heat could be a problem?
I would guess that the overwhelming proportion of their MicroSD business is in smartphones where they don't get the flogging that they do in a DVR, quite astounding that any card stands up to some of the 24/7 users

Your old cards will work perfectly! Unfortunately, back in, maybe 2011-2012, Sandisk started using a badly designed/badly tested controller, most likely in an attempt to obtain a faster throughput. If the card is stressed it will fail. 'Stressed' could be due to heat. All my Sandisk cards failed after extended recording times. Some cards just flipped permanently to read-only, others became non-readable. A Sandisk tech once told me the read-only flip was 'by design' to prevent a total loss of data. I have also had a Sandisk fail simply by reading it in my card reader! I can't remember exactly how many failed Sandisks I have had, but I think it's in the order of 5 or 6. I have never had any other card fail even though most of my cards are other brands. All my cards are genuine.
Before about 2011/2102 Sandisk were my favorite brand, but now I wouldn't even use one if I was given one for free, except for testing of course. The risk of losing all my data is just too high. I do, however, have a 128GB Sandisk, but I dread using it....

Good explanation. I wasn't aware of this. How about Samsung SD cards? do they have the same type of controller design? I see Kingston is highly recommended on here because of reliability. What others would you favour?

Good explanation. I wasn't aware of this. How about Samsung SD cards? do they have the same type of controller design? I see Kingston is highly recommended on here because of reliability. What others would you favour?
I don't favor any cards - I just disfavor Sandisk! Having said that, most of my cards are 32GB Kingston from different batches. I have also tested other 32GB brands such as Samsung, PQI and PNY.
I tested the cards using firmware that I knew used different chip manufactures codes and found Kingston cards to be the most reliable. No cards, except Sandisk, failed physically.
If reliability is important then I recommend class 4, but even class 4 can have their quirks and the newer Sandisk class 4 are just as bad as class 10. The original (first) Sandisk class 4 were great, but then they changed their controller...

I don't have any over 32gb but planning on getting 64gb.

As they say, don't put all your eggs in one basket so larger size can store more but when it goes kaput, a lot more is lost, both videos and $$.

I don't favor any cards - I just disfavor Sandisk! Having said that, most of my cards are 32GB Kingston from different batches. I have also tested other 32GB brands such as Samsung, PQI and PNY.
I tested the cards using firmware that I knew used different chip manufactures codes and found Kingston cards to be the most reliable. No cards, except Sandisk, failed physically.
If reliability is important then I recommend class 4, but even class 4 can have their quirks and the newer Sandisk class 4 are just as bad as class 10. The original (first) Sandisk class 4 were great, but then they changed their controller...

Oh, well I have a 32gb & 64gb SanDisk Micro SD, both bought this year before. So I will use them. If they crap out on me, they have a lifetime warranty on them.

I have a mobius type c and sjcam m10 coming in, ill test it on those two products as in dash cams. If they die, I'll request new ones from SanDisk and ill buy a different brand.

sorry if this is covered already, but i am not sure which format should i use with kingston 64gb,
i have the newest firmware 2.33 so as much as i understood it is irrelevant,
exfat does not support update, so maybe i should go with fat32, even though is not a problem also reformattingg or using another card,
are there any disadvatanges of using fat32 besides incompatibility with windows xp?

if the cards capacity is 64 000 000 000 bytes
and i divide it by 1024 2 times
and get 61035 megabytes, why does h2test say it has 59812 megabytes?
that is 1 gigabyte difference

and it is declared as class 10
why do i get only 9.6MByte/s on h2test?
is there some limitation with the computer?
i plug it directly in sd card reader in laptop through sd adapter

why such a difference?
left is internet review right is my card

capture.jpg

Last edited:
I use an Anker Astro E4 13000mAh. Other brands are available. The most I've done is to use my Anker to power Mobius overnight when my car was in a hotel car park. After around 10 hours use from fully charged, 3 of the 4 charge indicator LEDs on the Anker were lit, indicating it still held between 50% to 75% charge.

Hi russ331, you seem to know your stuff regarding the Mobius and using external power packs, I've ordered a couple of packs from Amazon to experiment with, basically an issue between size and capacity, and note that these external packs tend to be used to power mobile phones and tablets which have in-built batteries, so ask whether the the standard battery can be left in the Mobius, or whether it has to be removed and replaced by the capacitor, just seems odd that all other phones and tablets don't have a problem with external power packs.

The usage will be on a temporary basis so doesn't really warrant disassembling the Mobius for the odd occasions when I need to use the external battery packs.

Items I ordered were:

TeckNet® Power Bank 12000mAh @£13.97
EC Technology® 6000mAh Ultra Compact External Battery @£13.99

I am using Sand Disk "OH THE HORROR!!!" :eek:

Well I have a 128GB class 10 SanDisk Ultra SD card which I may well be trying out in the Mobius sometime soon if the Kingston 32GB and 64GB cards don't provide enough storage space, will let you know what happens as and when I install it, I can format it 32FAT using Disk Utility on the Mac.

Incidentally, I note that most of the larger 64GB and 128GB cards tend to be class 10, are slower class 4 and class 6 available in these sizes from reputable sellers?

...whether the the standard battery can be left in the Mobius, or whether it has to be removed and replaced by the capacitor, just seems odd that all other phones and tablets don't have a problem with external power packs.

Power Banks can be used with Mobius with it's own battery installed. The minimum output of the power bank should be not less than 5V/1A & the two you've ordered exceed the requirements.

Threads relating to Power Banks can be found at...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/batteries-and-capacitors.87/

Contributors like @Dashmellow have much greater in-depth knowledge of this subject than I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power Banks can be used with Mobius with it's own battery installed. The minimum output of the power bank should be not less than 5V/1A & the two you've ordered exceed the requirements.

Threads relating to Power Banks can be found at...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/batteries-and-capacitors.87/

Contributors like @Dashmellow have much greater in-depth knowledge of this subject than I do.

Hi russ331 and thank you for your reply and the link to the thread related to power banks/external power packs which I've been reading over with great interest. And thank you for the info over the two power banks I ordered. Must say that Dashmellow does seem to be one of the more knowledgeable contributors on here. This forum really is a fantastic source of information for anyone looking to buy, or already owns a dash cam.

So getting back on topic about the largest capacity micro SD cards to use, tonight I formatted the 128GB Sandisk SD card on FAT32 using the Disk Utility app on my Mac, and have left it running tonight in the Mobius to see how long it records for before it loops around to overwrite the oldest video footage and to see whether or not it crashes.

Will provide an update with the results sometime tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:
...128GB Sandisk SD card on FAT32 using the Disk Utility app on my Mac, and have left it running tonight in the Mobius to see how long it records for before it loops around to overwrite the oldest video footage...

Roughly 16 to 18 hours depending on whether Data Rate is set to Standard or High.

Roughly 16 to 18 hours depending on whether Data Rate is set to Standard or High.

Spot on russ331, the Mobius set on 'Standard' recorded for just over 18 hours using a Sandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SD card, before it looped round to record over the oldest stuff. I also noticed that the heat sinks were only lukewarm despite the fact that it had been recording continuously for over 24 hours and upside down to mimic being fixed on a car windscreen.

I've adjusted the settings today and have set the data rate to 'HIGH' to see if that improves the already very good video quality, and also set Motion Detect to 'ON' which will save having to wade through hours of none activity.

Am thoroughly impressed with the Mobius ActionCam, it's a very well thought out piece of kit.

BTW, I would have posted this information last night but the website was down once again!

Back