What is the largest capacity micro SD card being used by dashcamtalk users

few days ago i saw a topic where a member succesfully used microSD>SD adapter and 128gb full sized card, but cannot find it anymore, does anyone know where it is, which card and where to buy for not too much money that would be compatible with mobius and adapter and has some decend reading speeds, so it doesnt take eternity to transfer footage to the computer?

You can get the TFTec adapters from DX.com - I tried one with a 128GB KomputerBay card and it worked fine in my X2 - your mileage may vary in the Mobius though as it can be picky with cards it works with

http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.VS6tz1J4XCQ
by mileage you mean how far will i get with it/how reliable the card will be over time, or will i have any success at all or not at the begining? :D
i think i remember this card was mentioned that was used with mobius and adapter with no problems for a longer period
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231397445687what do you think about the price?
can i really expect that high reading speeds?
that would be about 2 times faster transfer to the computer than the kingston 64 micro i have/had, returned it because of slow speeds

It was this one I tried:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...2?fp=1&pc_redir=T1&ref_=tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

It worked ok in the X2 but I did notice that speeds plummeted after the first few days of running the card though h2testw etc and it didn't seem to speed up after running through SDFormatter which normally fixes cards - I sent that back for a refund.

It took about a month for the stuff to arrive to the UK from DX.com - it was super cheap though!

what about this review of the adapter, would you agree with it?
"While I could plug it, it was a bit hard to find the angle to make it click. Even when clicked-in the adapter is still loose and can fall out if wiggled to much. The cable also seem fragile, let's see how it passes the test of time."

i worry how much times will i be able to insert/take the card out of the adapter before it breaks, looses connection, and how will i mount it to the mobius

They're all the problems with this route to be honest - I did look at some alternatives on eBay but the only neat solution is to use microsd cards - you can see the Sandisk Ultra 128GB seems to work ok and to be honest there aren't that many to choose from in that size.

Do you need a single huge card or could you use multiple smaller ones? I took a load of 32GB ones with me on holiday and swapped them over when they got to around 3 hours of video.

I've got to admit I went back to using 64GB cards even with the adaptor as it was just easier

They're all the problems with this route to be honest - I did look at some alternatives on eBay but the only neat solution is to use microsd cards - you can see the Sandisk Uktra 128GB seems to work ok and to be honest there aren't that many to choose from in that size.

Do you need a single huge card or could you use multiple smaller ones? I took a load of 32GB ones with me on holiday and swapped them over when they got to around 3 hours of video.
i would like a single large card so i have couple of days to notice damage on car and still have the footage on the card, other usage would be having full 15hours of parked footage, in case i ever get a full time job(8hours + time to and from the car)

micro sd 128gb are just too expensive, sd + adapter solution is 2.5X cheaper

Last edited:
For long term use I wouldn't recommend an adaptor in case anything does go wrong - I did some benchmarking and cards are definitely slower through the adaptors anyway - how they'd last long term in anyone's guess.

Mine worked fine for a week but I didn't quite trust the Komputerbay card I had so it went back.

If you do try this you'd probably be the first person to try them in the Mobius - someone has to be the guinea pig :)

For long term use I wouldn't recommend an adaptor in case anything does go wrong - I did some benchmarking and cards are definitely slower through the adaptors anyway - how they'd last long term in anyone's guess.

Mine worked fine for a week but I didn't quite trust the Komputerbay card I had so it went back.

If you do try this you'd probably be the first person to try them in the Mobius - someone has to be the guinea pig :)
someone here already tried it exact combination dx adapter + qumox sd if i recall corectly, for several months without issues, but i cannot find the topic/post again

i agreed to be guinea pig, 48,5$ for 128gig, fast reading speeds and easier handling, i couldnt say no, lets just all hope it will work :D

My tests with a similar adapter were never really successful. The micro SD part of the cable doesn't make a very good connection and can easily fall out. It may work better if it's well secured with tape but I wouldn't use it if reliability is important to you.
I never tried it with a 128GB card though. My tests were done on my workbench. I wouldn't want to use it where movement is involved. Your adapter may be better than mine where the connection part was too thin.
In the meantime I'm waiting for the prices of 128GB micro SD cards to drop to an acceptable level. They've come down a bit over the last month or two but for me they're still too expensive to play with.

My tests with a similar adapter were never really successful. The micro SD part of the cable doesn't make a very good connection and can easily fall out. It may work better if it's well secured with tape but I wouldn't use it if reliability is important to you.
I never tried it with a 128GB card though. My tests were done on my workbench. I wouldn't want to use it where movement is involved. Your adapter may be better than mine where the connection part was too thin.
In the meantime I'm waiting for the prices of 128GB micro SD cards to drop to an acceptable level. They've come down a bit over the last month or two but for me they're still too expensive to play with.
you should have told me this last night, the card and the adapter are already shipped
i was relying on this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d77a695256a4a8df4e0&p=26436043&postcount=4016
+ some luck :D

Adapter itself is fine.
When formatted in exFAT
passes h2test fine with the fullsize SD 128gig card connected through a camera or a microSD adapter in a laptop sd reader through a tftec sd to micro sd adapter.
When tried to record, cam blinks as if its recording but almost never saves the file, i had luck once or twice.

When formatted to FAT32 using msetup its not even recognised,

Using verbatim formatter, it succesfully formats to FAT32, is recognised, blinks like its recording, but also doesnt save the file.
any ideas, or is there no help?

i guessed that maybe its using too much power to be able to save with capacitors in, but it also doesnt save when i turn it off using the button and still connected to the power source

all of this was tested using v2.33 fw
downgrading to v2.10 did not help

EDIT: using v1.13 i had more luck with saving files but i have yet to see about looping

EDIT: looks like loop works too, i filled the card with test files from h2test
left 1gig free, and it loops fine
we'll see how long will it work
and what is the problem witth the firmware

too bad the slot isnt on this side, i have to pull the adapter out to put the card in/out

Last edited:
I purchased this card reader today a Hama USB-2.0-SD/micro SD card Reader works great with my 32Gb card device attaches to the phone so no cables

That's exactly the same adapter I have (TFTEC) :(. But maybe you'll receive an improved version. Also, one of my adapters didn't work initially - there was a bad solder joint...
It will be interesting to hear your results.
so TFTEC+128GB fullSize SD card works fine, loops fine,
BUT only with v1.13 Firmware, anything newer does not work :(
could it be fixed in the newer FW, is there some FW request thread :D?

so TFTEC+128GB fullSize SD card works fine, loops fine,
BUT only with v1.13 Firmware, anything newer does not work :(
could it be fixed in the newer FW, is there some FW request thread :D?
I'm glad to hear the TFTEC adapter works for you. The same adapters didn't work well for me at all. They were not reliable, possibly because of the bad contacts at the micro end.
New firmware cannot fix the problem. The card communication is handled by the low-level codes supplied by the chip manufacturer. The developer always uses the latest codes library and he is perfectly aware of the problems that some cards have. He also has a good relationship with the DSP manufacturer, so they are also fully aware that some cards don't communicate properly.
If I remember correctly, FW v1.13 had other card compatibility issues. As @jokiin has mentioned, it's all but impossible for any camera to support ALL cards on the market.

someone here already tried it exact combination dx adapter + qumox sd if i recall corectly, for several months without issues, but i cannot find the topic/post again
I have tried combination of tftec adapter and a 128gb master SD and a 256gb PNY SD card in a variety of players Ibasso dx50 and dx90 , fiio X3ii, sony A15 and the 128gb worked fine in all 4 while the 256gb was not recognized by the dx90 but was by the dx50 and fiio - been using for 4 months no problems and much cheaper than microsd card option for now until price comes down - have not experienced any speed problems and have not had any connection problems once i folded back around to back of player under cover of player being used - so far so good

Back