What is the largest capacity micro SD card being used by dashcamtalk users

Your old cards will work perfectly! Unfortunately, back in, maybe 2011-2012, Sandisk started using a badly designed/badly tested controller, most likely in an attempt to obtain a faster throughput. If the card is stressed it will fail. 'Stressed' could be due to heat. All my Sandisk cards failed after extended recording times. Some cards just flipped permanently to read-only, others became non-readable. A Sandisk tech once told me the read-only flip was 'by design' to prevent a total loss of data. I have also had a Sandisk fail simply by reading it in my card reader! I can't remember exactly how many failed Sandisks I have had, but I think it's in the order of 5 or 6. I have never had any other card fail even though most of my cards are other brands. All my cards are genuine.
Before about 2011/2102 Sandisk were my favorite brand, but now I wouldn't even use one if I was given one for free, except for testing of course. The risk of losing all my data is just too high. I do, however, have a 128GB Sandisk, but I dread using it....
I know Sandisk (still) have a good name, but I don't know why - maybe because they are fast and failure rates aren't important? Or maybe they work OK when when they don't have to run in a confined area where heat could be a problem?

I don't favor any cards - I just disfavor Sandisk! Having said that, most of my cards are 32GB Kingston from different batches. I have also tested other 32GB brands such as Samsung, PQI and PNY.
I tested the cards using firmware that I knew used different chip manufactures codes and found Kingston cards to be the most reliable. No cards, except Sandisk, failed physically.
If reliability is important then I recommend class 4, but even class 4 can have their quirks and the newer Sandisk class 4 are just as bad as class 10. The original (first) Sandisk class 4 were great, but then they changed their controller...

Having just read this & in light of my recent post about "just today I bought a SanDisk"............(which I can return)
should I do that & go with a different brand ? If the SanDisk don't work for Isoprop, they sure as heck are not gonna work
for me :confused: BUT, I would still like to have a 64 as opposed to a 32 GB.

Feedback appreciated.

Having just read this & in light of my recent post about "just today I bought a SanDisk"............(which I can return)
should I do that & go with a different brand ? If the SanDisk don't work for Isoprop, they sure as heck are not gonna work
for me :confused: BUT, I would still like to have a 64 as opposed to a 32 GB.

Feedback appreciated.

Any special reason for 64 gb card?

Thanks guys.

No "special" reason for the 64 gb and, on reflection, given the limited amount of driving that we do
perhaps the 32 would be adequate.
I was thinking that I might also use the Mobiue as an "action" camera when watching my grandson
play hockey & the extra capacity would be good for that.
Will return the SanDisk & try another. From the feed back on this forum it appears that the Kingston
is the card of choice for the Mobius & in the class 4 type. Unfortunately, in this day & age, it appears that
class 10 has taken over & I can't even find a class 4.

I did find these 2 :
http://www.staples.ca/en/Lexar-64GB-Micro-SDXC-Card-Class-10/product_392201_2-CA_1_20001
http://www.staples.ca/en/Kingston-M...ss-10-UHS-I-64GB/product_1265935_2-CA_1_20001

Obviously the Lexar is the better buy. However, I don't want to degrade a perfectly good camera with a lesser quality SD card....

Any thoughts on the Lexar ??

I use both the Transcend, and the Kingston 32g class 10 cards in my Mobius cameras. Have not had any problems with either, so far.

Thanks guys.

No "special" reason for the 64 gb and, on reflection, given the limited amount of driving that we do
perhaps the 32 would be adequate.
I was thinking that I might also use the Mobiue as an "action" camera when watching my grandson
play hockey & the extra capacity would be good for that.
Will return the SanDisk & try another. From the feed back on this forum it appears that the Kingston
is the card of choice for the Mobius & in the class 4 type. Unfortunately, in this day & age, it appears that
class 10 has taken over & I can't even find a class 4.

I did find these 2 :
http://www.staples.ca/en/Lexar-64GB-Micro-SDXC-Card-Class-10/product_392201_2-CA_1_20001
http://www.staples.ca/en/Kingston-M...ss-10-UHS-I-64GB/product_1265935_2-CA_1_20001

Obviously the Lexar is the better buy. However, I don't want to degrade a perfectly good camera with a lesser quality SD card....

Any thoughts on the Lexar ??

That's what I remember re your "amount of driving". I use 32 gb cl 10 Kingston from Staples (bought 4 from ebay, all fakes. no more ebay sd cards). Set to standard data rate, it'll record over 4 hours plus before looping over. Considering price and card failure, I'd rather have 2 32 gb instead of 1 64 gb. Also Mobius internal battery only gives you 2 hours unless you use a power pack, a 32 gb sd is more than enough. My thoughts

That's what I remember re your "amount of driving". I use 32 gb cl 10 Kingston from Staples (bought 4 from ebay, all fakes. no more ebay sd cards). Set to standard data rate, it'll record over 4 hours plus before looping over. Considering price and card failure, I'd rather have 2 32 gb instead of 1 64 gb. Also Mobius internal battery only gives you 2 hours unless you use a power pack, a 32 gb sd is more than enough. My thoughts

Thanks Bungus - the West coast of Canada is usually more "clear" than the East coast & you have again helped to bring
this matter into focus & give nore clarity to the reality of need vs. desire - most men tend to associate bigger with better

I had not quite connected the dots between the capacity of the card & the battery duration...I will be following your advice.

Cheers = Roger

Go for it. With "Costco" it's a safe buy.
FYI I paid C$34 for one at Staples here. I needed it in a hurry then as I just received the camera after 5 weeks wait from Electonline365 China and my ebay purchased cards didn't work.
I'll also buy more from your link. Thanks.

PS. Roger, I'm in the same position as you. Cautious and " Be Prepared" and trying hard not to waste.

Last edited:
My experience buying SD cards from various suppliers has taught me that Amazon is the best place to buy genuine high quality cards at the lowest prices. A few weeks ago I bought a Samsung EVO 64GB card for $18.99 USD (currently selling for $23.99). (an excellent card BTW) The key to receiving a "real" card and avoiding any potential return issues is to only buy when the product sale is "fulfilled by" Amazon. The prices for all Amazon's cards fluctuate constantly and the trick is to bookmark some cards that interest you and watch the prices as they change periodically. Sometimes, like with the Samsung I purchased for $18.99 you can get a true bargain.

@Dashmellow,
Thanks for the advise. Have been debating to whether to have a "Amazon" acc or not.

@Dashmellow,
Thanks for the advise. Have been debating to whether to have a "Amazon" acc or not.

I've slowly come around to being a huge Amazon fan. I often find what I need for a lot less than many of the greedy stores in my rural area or I find stuff I can't get here. The Samsung SD card is a good example,. The local Staples wants almost 45 dollars for the same card. About six months ago Amazon was offering an amazing discount on their "Amazon Prime" service and I went for it. You get free 2 day shipping on a vast array of items, free Kindle books, music downloads and free music streaming, unlimited free streaming and downloads of thousands of movies and TV shows, worthwhile original programming and more (the free downloading is a brand new thing). Two weeks ago they were offering Chris Nolan's "Interstellar" at 48 hour rental for 99 cents.

For 72 bucks USD per year the whole experience has been kind of a game changer for me especially because of the unlimited video streaming which works amazingly well with the crappy bandwidth I'm stuck with out here in the sticks. (2.8 Mbps - tops!) My previous experience with online video streaming had been abysmal. So, I ended up buying a Roku3 and canceling my overpriced satellite service with all the shopping channels and religious programming I don't want, as living on a mountain I get pretty good network/ PBS HDTV over the airwaves anyway.

Just this past week I saw they were offering Prime for 67 dollars instead of the usual $99.00. Amazon has also never sent me a single spam email.

And getting back on topic here, it's the only place I will buy SD cards now.

Last edited:
I've slowly come around to being a huge Amazon fan. I often find what I need for a lot less than many of the greedy stores in my rural area or I find stuff I can't get here. The Samsung SD card is a good example,. The local Staples wants almost 45 dollars for the same card. About six months ago Amazon was offering an amazing discount on their "Amazon Prime" service and I went for it. You get free 2 day shipping on a vast array of items, free Kindle books, music downloads and free music streaming, unlimited free streaming and downloads of movies and TV shows, worthwhile original programming and more (the free downloading is a brand new thing). For 72 bucks USD per year the whole experience has been kind of a game changer for me because of the unlimited video streaming. Just this past week I saw they were offering Prime for 67 dollars instead of the usual $99.00. Amazon has also never sent me a single spam email.
Good deal. My wife has Prime, and I get it free because of her subscription.

I’m using a Samsung 128Gig formatted to FAT32 on the front facing 0806 and a Kingmax 64Gig for the rear facing 0805 and that too is FAT32 formatted

Not sure if available "in store" but will check tomorrow when I return the SanDisk & will report back...

Not available for "in store" purchase - has to be on line - 7 to 10 business days for delivery.

PS: is there a way to send a PM on this forum ? What is the function of "start a conversation" ?
TIA for info....

Ah ha - thanks for that jokiin - another part of the learning curve has been reached :D

Plenty more to learn here. You'll learn editing your clips, screen capture, zoom, camera settings and positioning, and much much more. That's how "become an addict" comes in.:cool:

Back