What to Buy - multi-purpose solution?

rymandev99

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've spent hours and hours looking for a solution.

I'm looking for a multi-purpose solution, probably in the form of a DVR base.

Front facing camera. Rear facing camera. 2 side cameras, with the sides being able for clearly focus on someone standing just outside the door windows, (Perhaps a small barrel mounted off the visor) with a boom mic on both sides.

Preference is for GPS to record speed and location. Wi-fi is a must to live-upload to a remote cloud account.

I've been involved in a lawsuit with the local county law enforcement, and need protection from the subsequent high attention.

So, while recording of potential accidents (not one in over 30 years) or vandalism/theft (never) is of some concern, the real goal is for my protection from unwarranted LEO attention.

Surely there is an existing setup to meet this need? I would have it professionally installed and, for obvious reasons, the cost is of far less concern than the protection it would afford.

Thanks in advance!

Front facing camera. Rear facing camera. 2 side cameras, with the sides being able for clearly focus on someone standing just outside the door windows, (Perhaps a small barrel mounted off the visor) with a boom mic on both sides.

Preference is for GPS to record speed and location. Wi-fi is a must to live-upload to a remote cloud account.

I've been involved in a lawsuit with the local county law enforcement, and need protection from the subsequent high attention.

So, while recording of potential accidents (not one in over 30 years) or vandalism/theft (never) is of some concern, the real goal is for my protection from unwarranted LEO attention.

Surely there is an existing setup to meet this need? I would have it professionally installed and, for obvious reasons, the cost is of far less concern than the protection it would afford.

Thanks in advance!

You are better off installing 4 separate independent solutions to make your own DIY Quad setup if you need something high quality today.

Your wish list has been asked for since last year, but there is no good option yet.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...tealth-cameras-remote-lens-snowden-w007.4708/

So again, This beast doesn't exist yet, you might see something in Q3/Q4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Saw that thread, but was hoping someone had come up with a solution in the year since.

I agree with @Pier28. I have been experimenting with a 4 camera set-up for some time now and at this point now consider 4 cams a "requirement".

Depending on the vehicle, if I were starting from scratch I think I might go with a SG9665GC up front and three Mobius cameras on the sides and rear. I would go with the Mobius "C" lens on the lateral side cams and the "B" lens in the back. This is perhaps the best modest priced, stealthiest method at the current time for achieving reliable, high quality coverage. There are of course, many other options and configurations but 4 cameras are the way to go at the current time to achieve most of what you are looking for.

I don't see the Wifi to cloud option being practical anytime soon for a number of reasons but with 4 cameras, the bandwidth alone would make the viability of this option unlikely. Maybe in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The problem I'm running into is the box...

I did find the Boyo (Vision Tech) VTR1004, at about $900, but no wi-fi. I've seen a couple of 2-channel boxes that had all this and wi-fi.

http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/vtr1004.html
  • Video Out: 1 BNC Out (Composite) = Analog, not digital

• Frame Size: NTSC 720 x 240, 320 x 240 pixels ?
That's Total low res Garbage, anything in 2015 needs to be Full HD 1080P minimum (1920 x 1080)

Video/Audio quality is more important than everything being in one box.

I saw the low-res, and wondered why so much $ when other boxes supported higher res for far less $.

I Understand that, at least for front-facing, I should be looking for 1080? But I shouldn't need the high resolution on the 2 side cameras, should I?

Please undunderstand, I'm not a tech. I'm just a guy with a problem, hoping the experts here will have a solution.

Last edited:
I saw the low-res, and wondered why so much $ when other boxes supported higher res for far less $.

I Understand that, at least for front-facing, I should be looking for 1080? But I shouldn't need the high resolution on the 2 side cameras, should I?

Please undunderstand, I'm not a tech. I'm just a guy with a problem, hoping the experts here will have a solution.

those are half the vertical resolution of the old standard definition analogue TV, very poor quality

Back