What would you suggest i buy?

chili

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above, currently i have a blackvue dr750x plus 2ch setup in a uk mercedes cla, the camera is offset from the centre of the windscreen/rear view mirror because of the plastic shroud that homes sensors etc so its mounted in the passenger side of the glass close to the centre as possible, Blackvue states it can sometimes take upto 15 minutes to obtain a gps lock, i can drive 40 minutes on a clear day and not get any gps lock at all which really annoys the F*** out of me, no lock no speed info not sure where i would stand if i was involved in something and produced dashcam evidence without my own speed on it.
A premium price and aesthetically pleasing design with a good quality feel about it and its only let down for me is the gps lock, i even quite like their app and manage ok with that.

So i am thinking of changing brands/camera's and have watched loads of youtube videos i like the viofo a139 pro and the vantrue n4 pro, however i don't want to make a bad purchase hence i am asking in here and hopefully users with more knowledge than myself can advise me, i would like to get something that is 4k works well with our english climate and is able to get a gps lock in a reasonable amount of time while mounted in a mercedes, i have mentioned the car make in case the windscreen glass actually does make a difference with reception/lock.

thanks for looking and reading all advise welcome

i like the viofo a139 pro
There is an A229 Pro due soon, same shape as the current A229, but with specs better than the A139 Pro. Might be a better shape for your car, although I am not sure.

no lock no speed info not sure where i would stand if i was involved in something and produced dashcam evidence without my own speed on it.
Legally the GPS speed is of no real use, since there is no proof that it is accurate. In a court case the speed would be calculated from the movement seen in the video image.

For insurance purposes, I'm not convinced it is of much use either. Someone could try and use the speed against you if it was there, but without it they can't! Although if they took the effort, they could calculate a speed from the video image, an insurance company is very unlikely to bother, so not having it may get you out of some problems. Having it may assist you in passing blame to someone who was obviously exceeding acceptable speeds, but that seems unlikely, normally it will be obvious if someone caused an accident through excessive speed, and in most cases the speed limit and actual speed is irrelevant.

Back