Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Ever want to mount the suction cup of your dashcam in the area of your windshield where there are those black dots only to have it fall off 12 seconds later?
This product works great! https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00IKES3MU
x66UCbkYGQ9wLDpitEOe4dN3WO1eVOFoxmcQC-0vBv4e1r0ndFlkWxLXmS_sndczAAiU-3fzm0IeLGB1UJ2gZqYleT9WQMaCamkCa0-vDpYn8vL3DQIuWZGBT_nHw6Jqaz5woF97JqA3Q6gd6h0HYYe948w1ze1zsFhomnfptRjjGkfuvn3ynVUx97JHGx272hjIIiJECaGuVAmEnrED1d_5jEUyvybKdGTbrJ-Svv9oiH8pd4Smvsu_njSf6svnxjC-hPcSlE7k1ymuqSKE66UBWL5f77-Av4T4YMaSZTF6g1On1OyTlUyh-jXaLLGmnTF4x3EM6YWH8k2yyaCvGvUStO6DwbBhYXEojLB-xiw1n8k4PY4iYztuLkP2sw_SapumdvKo2fZhxYL1Vo9K_9kbMJiikkPfPlRtXa6QlnTJia4eTHen0T31jQRB9koNRQIIwuJxgQ_1GDYTgMmsju00emnM9rGgjSkRsL9WZugSMeDA6PRktaLEbi83dlCu5iBBhSqWMv_tm0y-UqfifAgP7jrUIeBUTLLRsLNRbZYsdH0H74IZe3O0qHKCQf_7Gy8wYA=w1533-h862-no

Wierd with those dots, in my car i can have a suction cup on them no problem, stay there for months ( never had it come off yet )
But moving same suction cup to my little sisters car and you have disaster as it only stay on for seconds.

Perhaps ( just noticed ) my shaded area is not dots but a grid, perhaps thats why it work in my car.

WP_20160208_006.jpg

Wierd with those dots, in my car i can have a suction cup on them no problem, stay there for months ( never had it come off yet )
But moving same suction cup to my little sisters car and you have disaster as it only stay on for seconds....
Some cars have the 'dots' in the glass while others have them on the glass. That would make a big difference.

I can feel the grid on my car, but it do feel a little bit smother than the dots in my sisters car.
I do think the reason is mine is not dots, will have to imsepct my sisters car tomorrow, but i do think she got dots where i have everything else but the dots.

No, suction cup will not stay even for a second in my car (Subaru 2013 Outback) on black dots area, which is kind of large.
I ordered 3M T for G1W and hope it will work for my YI cam with some adjustments.
I'd like to reduce distance between camera and windshield glass, so smaller T should replace larger suction cup.
I should get it in a week or two and will update with pics.

I can't remember where I posted my newly mounted Mobius photos, but thought I'd share something new I tried. The mount I use has grey VHB tape which can be seen on the outside of the windshield; don't like that. I used a square piece of black vinyl on the windshield first and then installed the VHB mount plate. It's been installed that way for 6+ weeks and so far it's holding strong.

20160324_232840.jpg

20160406_184909.jpg

It's a good solution for those of you worried about removing VHB tape from the windshield if you lease or will be selling. I made a mistake and installed the camera behind the mirror too far and it was really easy to get the vinyl lifted and then the VHB mount came with it with no sticky residue. After I had to cut a new piece of vinyl and put new VHB tape on the mount.

The vinyl scrap is free to $1. No solvents, or tools required to remove. Wasn't why I used it, just a perk.

Excellent solution.
I'd tried using vinyl with the suction cup itself with poor results. Never considered with the VHB.

Thanks

Excellent solution.
I'd tried using vinyl with the suction cup itself with poor results. Never considered with the VHB.

Thanks

How long did you let the vinyl piece cure before attaching the suction cup?

came here to look for ideas as this is the worst camera/mount ever! . I only bought because I though it would have the regular camera screw like the yi action. image is not that good, lane assist is a bad joke (but we all knew that already) and the camera gets incredibly hot.
well, but the reason im replying is to ask how much would anyone pay for the prefect mount for it?

I'm designing a 3d print model. Will open source so you can probably download and have it printed by shapeways or such for ~40. if there's interest we can try to do a group buy and get much cheaper (and I'm in because I'm already going to pay the retail print price anyway)

MiiHere : I see your post above regarding Vinyl for your suction mount camera. Do you think this would work with the permanent mount for the SG9665GC?

I installed mine this week, but due to the design of my rear view mirror, I couldn't stick it where I originally planned, so had to stick it to the screen and use the cable tidy. I did this with the 3M pads, but from the outside it is quite easy to see the tape, where it has small air pockets etc.

Do you think that cutting some black vinyl and sticking that on the windscreen and then sticking the camera mount to that would work? i.e. would the vinyl likely stay in place and not fall off?

The effect I am looking for is that from the outside of the car, the black area (vinyl) looks as OEM as the black section of the rear view mirror etc. I'll take a picture to demonstrate.

Hey, I think it will work perfectly. I don't have a suction mount. I installed the vinyl, let it cure in the sun for a day or so and then installed the 3m vhb base plate mount over it, let that cure for a day and then slipped the camera mount into the base plate.

MiiHere: could you take a closer picture of your vinyl from outside?

Here are the photo's I said I'd take. As you can see, the camera and cable tidy are quite easy to distinguish alongside the existing black for the rain sensor etc.

In the pictures you can see my GPS antenna above the rain sensor, but that part of the screen is little black dots, so its not a perfect solution. I'm going to move it to the top corner of the windscreen or onto the dash.

I had originally hoped to mount the camera alongside the rain sensor unit, but higher up (and not need the cable tidy), but unfortunately when I did this, some of the rain sensor casing was in the field of view, resulting in blocking the right hand side of the image!

If anyone has a BMW (X1) and has any tips on installation then that would be appreciated. But the idea of using some black vinyl (as long as I could get a perfect fit with no bubbles, looking as close to the existing black bit as possible) sounds good.

IMG_0753_zps8ukkkyde.jpg
IMG_0752_zpsguwk7tcg.jpg

IMG_0749_zpseb3oeaja.jpg
IMG_0748_zpsakvwgqif.jpg

I'll give it a shot when it gets back from the tint shop, but there won't be much to see beyond what you can already see in the photos. The vinyl gets installed on the inside of the windshield; you can see the outline of the vinyl in the first image I posted w/ the camera mounted.

I was more interested in seeing if the vinyl section looks as OEM as the bit on my car that is black, i.e. solid black with no air etc etc, like window tints appear - applied on the inside of the glass but look perfect from the outside.

Found this company https://www.abodewindowfilms.co.uk who sell black vinyl and window films...and more importantly - they give free samples! Even free p&p! So I ordered samples of the 3 products I think might do the job and will see how they perform! The samples might even be big enough for what I need!

I gotcha. Yeah, if you install it correctly and let it cure, there won't be any air bubbles. You can also cut it with scissors so it can be any shape you like. I installed it using a credit card; peel back just a small portion of the backing, adhere that and then as you pull the backing off, slide the credit card along the vinyl. If you're a real big perfectionist you can take a hair dryer afterwards to help it cure faster and also pop any bubbles with the sharp end of an exacto, and then like popping a zit, just squeeze the air out the middle and apply some heat to shrink the hole.

Thank you. I like the "popping a zit" analogy!!!

Here's my install:
StreetGuardian GC w/CPL (thanks Jon from Pier28!), hardwired with a Vico-Power PLUS.
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero aka Saabaru (essentially a rebadged 05 Subaru WRX Wagon)

27010871671_05273e4816_z.jpg

26804806860_2120d75334_z.jpg

26984704772_be3b5fabe1_z.jpg

27010871851_04706baa04_z.jpg

26804807060_d1977eb6ae_z.jpg

26804806310_29e2dd9045_z.jpg

Note: GPS module tucked in the background on the dash

26984704262_edcd9814f0_z.jpg

26475361653_152df65954_z.jpg

Note: that thing to the left of the cam coming down from the headliner is the antenna/indicator light for my Viper remote start/alarm.

26984704612_33982ea75b_z.jpg

Can't really tell from this angle, but the dash cam is completely hidden behind rearview mirror from drivers position

26804806830_4f03099213_z.jpg

27010871571_47b486c96b_z.jpg

27010871271_1a1a28e922_z.jpg

27079072505_3b149e9748_z.jpg

Vico Power-Plus is hardwired and velcroed into a small change cubby/drawer to the left of steering wheel with some slack on the wires so I can pull it out and adjust if needed.

26804806580_c4b38b55ce_z.jpg

26984704312_1b54efdbde_z.jpg

27010871491_1a66373fd9_z.jpg

Sorry I took so many pics, I figure more angles of the install the better.

Couple things so far:
1) GC placement: I could have moved the cam further up and placed it in the dots of the windshield so that the lens just pops out below the dots (it is still in windshield wiper range there), which may make it look stealthier from outside, but then the screen and lights would constantly be annoying me while driving. Yes I know you can minimize distraction by setting the screen to turn off within 15 seconds (or even faster if you stick a headphone plug into the AV in/out jack above) and putting dark tape over the lights, but I still think this setup with the GC behind the mirror looks cleaner from a driver's perspective, and I think the video quality/consistent is perhaps a shade better because placed a bit lower. I think it's also cleaner from a passenger's perspective, as no one has yet to comment on it when in the car with me until I show it to them, as it's fairly hidden even from passenger perspective. If this thing were higher up it would clearly be visible. Also wires are all hidden away in this install position, and if this cam were higher up, I'd either have to not use the wire cover (which wouldn't look good), or shave some of it down (which would take a lot of time and still may not look good!). Lastly, all buttons and memory card slot still accessible, even in this position that is on the passenger side of the rearview mirror. I prefer it being out of my way/vision, and this is the best least distracting setup I could find for driving while still being relatively stealthy from the outside as well.

2) CPL (Circular Polarizing Lens)-- STRONGLY recommend buying the CPL for this cam when installing into this car (Saabarus and all 02-07 WRX all have the same interior dash/windshield) if you live in sunny places, like here in New Mexico-- bright sun and angles of the dash and windshield can make for significant dash glare, which I noted reflected on many of my daytime videos. After I put on the CPL, the dash glare essentially disappeared, even in the brightest NM sun. The CPL I got is custom made for the GC camera from pier28 (apparently very heat resistant 3d printed plastic) and cost $40, and is well worth it in my opinion. It's a tight fit and took me a while to get it to stay on. Be careful putting it on-- one of the cross bars that holds the lens in place broke for me (it's very thin), but that hasn't affected performance yet, and the lens appears to still stay snug with the bottom bar and friction, so I will leave it be for now.

Back